Ask The Apex

I think it's both: the line does get cleared of debris and dust, but a layer of tyre rubber does actually build up on the surface of the track over the course of the weekend. And it often is visible, especially in the braking zones.

Coolio. I would love to actually see this rubber trail, find it facinating.

It's amazing the technology that goes into Tarmac. If you can find it there's a BBC documentary on the building of the new race track that F1 used at Indy and the different types of top surface the engineers considered. Also, there are super sticky tarmacs. For example, Santa Pod relaid it's track surface a few years ago with a new US material which already contains rubber so the Drag artists get even more grip and faster times.

I also remember reading an article by Herman Tilke where he said he had to compromise on the track surafce at one of the new course in the Middle East between the grip levels he felt appropriate for F1 (low grip) and the extra grip needed for the Moto GP guys.

One other interesting point on track surfaces, in the heavy braking areas the surface actually gets moved by the grip and downforce of the cars and makes it rucked an uneven as the cars push the surface towards the corner. You used to be able to see this at the track used in Mexico City as a combination of the cars and tectonic plate movement used to make the run into the hard braking areas really bumpy.

One other interesting point on track surfaces, in the heavy braking areas the surface actually gets moved by the grip and downforce of the cars and makes it rucked an uneven as the cars push the surface towards the corner. You used to be able to see this at the track used in Mexico City as a combination of the cars and tectonic plate movement used to make the run into the hard braking areas really bumpy.
Also happens at every bus stop and traffic light on the major bus routes in our city!

Here's one for you techy types - is the EDB more efficient because the gases are hot?
Yes.

Yes. The EBD maximises the use of convection, i.e. the natural tendencies for hot air to rise and for hot gases to expand. The extreme temperatures generated by the burning of fuel in the exhaust pipes draws the cooler air that is funnelled under the cars chassis through the sytem at a faster rate which increases the ground effect being generated by the diffuser.

Edit: Forgot a another critical component of the process - I've inserted it in italics so you can see where I missed out this salient detail!

Well, not convection, not ground effect, but the universal gas laws :o.

Hot Blowing the diffuser increases its efficiency. In simple terms:

If you can increase the speed of flow of a gas, you decrease the pressure. Similarly, If you increase the temperature of gas, you reduce the pressure.

___

The above floor components, the wings, work like an upside down aeroplane wing.. "yeah, i do know!" you say.. but the floor does the same. The downforce is created by reducing the pressure under the wing, and increasing it above, creating a downward force... If you can increase the speed and energy of the flow under the car, you have reduced the pressure there too! and you just gained some extra downforce ;)

Grizzly - I think it's too bad this technology would be next to useless on our road cars. I'm guessing the ride height would have to be way too low for these innovations to work and pot holes, kerbs, steep cambers and the like make it a non-starter. We're missing out on the fun! :disappointed:

Ok - childish but valid questions

Do drivers have a catheter fitted when they race? I'm pretty sure they do in Le Mans and endurance racing understandabley

If not - then what do they do when they need the loo as don't believe there hasn't been one incident of that in F1 ever - never seen someone get out of the car with a wet patch. I know Webber threw up in his helemt once which must have been lovely

If so - whats the other end connected too? they seem to jump out the car pretty quickly and you never see a tube dangling.

I wouldn't have thought so - I mean they're only in the cars for two hours. Having said that I'm sure I've heard of at least one driver admitting to a quick in-car bladder relief (and then won the race), but can't for the life of me remember who it was. :s

Edit: also, it just occurred to me that at many of the races it's so hot in there that they probably sweat off most of their fluids. I'm in a ~35°C place at the moment, and hardly ever have to go despite drinking about 4 litres a day.

I wouldn't have thought so - I mean they're only in the cars for two hours. Having said that I'm sure I've heard of at least one driver admitting to a quick in-car bladder relief (and then won the race), but can't for the life of me remember who it was. :s

Edit: also, it just occurred to me that at many of the races it's so hot in there that they probably sweat off most of their fluids. I'm in a ~35°C place at the moment, and hardly ever have to go despite drinking about 4 litres a day.

Your exactly right Josephia.Indeed the biggest problem for the F1 drivers is to keep their fluid intake high enough during he race.They do have a drinks tube in their mouth but water or whatever is extra weight so its not that big.

Thanks guys - that makes perfect sense to me.

I know its a silly question but I have always wondered - especially as not many of them rushed off to the loo during the stopage in Canada.

Drivers have been known to answer the call of nature while at the wheel in the past. I remember a story from a Lotus mechanic saying that Johnny Herbert was particularly...notorious in this regard. Obviously I have no independent verification of that...though I'm sure there must be others.

Completely off topic but one of the Gemini astronauts had to relieve himself in his space suit whilst sitting on the gantry as the launch was delayed.

Is it true that teams don't have big enough fuel tanks and thats why we always here about fuel saving?

I think they do, but the reason they don't start with enough fuel to finish the race is because of the time penalty it would cost them in qualifying, so rather they will go slower later on in the race when it is likely they will have a margin over the driver behind.

Also just incase it suddenly rains or a safety car comes out, they don't want too much fuel just incase, as it will hinder them.

Different circuits have different consumption - they keep the same size tanks for the whole season, so design the car around the most extreme fuel usage; at most circuits it's bigger than it needs to be.

Back
Top Bottom