Ask The Apex

Here's one then.

Why aren't drivers' helmets more streamlined?
They're quite rounded and blunt, which presumably is bad for drag and buffeting, etc.
Surely a more pronounced peak at the front would improve things marginally?

if you look at speed skiers helmets, they extend backwards in the classic tear-drop shape. that is the best shape and is obviously impractical in an F1 car. besides the way the air flow is directed around the cockpit with the higher ,post 94 style,i doubt the helmet makes that much difference as they want that higher air going towards the rear wing and some to the airbox

They are round, probably for better visibility, and when it rains, it's easier for the water to fly off, so you don't need wipers :snigger:

I am sure someone on here can give an in-depth answer, but as for them being round, ^^ that's all I know.

Didn't Schumacher pioneer one of the 1st shaped helmets?

Scumacher was the first to use Schuberth Helmets which take 3D Laser scans of a drivers profile and produce a helmet made-to-measure.

As for the shape of a helmet, I suspect it's down to debris & structure deflection. I also suspect that they want to use as little material as possible, in order to keep the weight down and therefore help with G loadings.

Take the breaking zone on the final straight in Montreal into the chicane. The drivers will experience around 5.5g loading and with the average human head weighing around 4.5kg, that's equates to around 24.75kg of weight on the neck before they've even factored in the helmet.

EDIT

A quick bit of research tells me helmets now weigh around 1.25kg, so the braking zone example I gave above would result in a weigh of over 31.5kg :o on the neck. (That's more than a typical 50" Plasma TV )

There is also the need to keep the helmet aero neutral from all angles, otherwise, a driver turning his head to the left at eau rouge could have serious torsional forces!!

I have a question,

I read this somewhere - "Mclaren and Ferrari have a more slippery car in a straightline and this will be to their advantage."

What does "slippery car" mean?

On the helmets, don't they have lots of transparent bits of plastic stuck all over them these days to move the air flow? I seem to recall the last time we saw a close up of Alonso on Brundle's grid walk there was a large perspex piece across the chin.

Not that I want to answer my own question but I just found this trying to find pictures of F1 helmets:

img56572880.jpg

I don't want to go off topic but look at this bizarre helmet Jacky Ickx used back in 1979.

piphls79539.jpg

That's where someone got the idea for Smiley's from. After many years of experimentation, tinkering with the colours, head shape and expressions they finally came up with those useful little inserts that we have become so accustomed to using today. Unfortunately his work was hijacked by an IT "person" who has since made a mint out of them and will sue you blind if you misuse the bighters.:)

Back
Top Bottom