Ask The Apex

I've got a question relating to the Monaco GP and to a smaller extent the other temporary street circuits.

In a normal race weekend F1 racing is just the headline event with a host of smaller formula racing alongside them during the weekend. GP2 in particular is quite a large event and they bring with them a huge amount of equipment and people. At most circuits this extra influx of people and baggage will have room to set up camp within the massive paddock complexes that most circuits have. This brings me to my question.

Where do the smaller formula set up their cars at Monaco?

In the late 1980s the F1 teams who would have to take part in pre-qualifying (when there were 25+ teams and 39 cars) used to have to park their trucks at a car park up on the hill and wheel all their equipment down into the pitlane on foot. I should imagine it's much the same for GP2 - but I don't know of any circuit where they get their own dedicated garage space anyway, so it's no big change.

I'm not sure that there's such a huge number of people and equipment involved in GP2 to be honest.

I have no idea whether they have their own airguns for tyre changes, or borrow the F1 teams'? Anyone?

Where do the smaller formula set up their cars at Monaco?
Monaco so lacking in space the GP2 teams r based in a carpark up a hill, and pre-race drive their gear through town

http://twitter.com/#!/jakehumphreyf1/status/74025288819933184

scaled.php

I have deleted a few off topic posts from this thread,

This is meant to be for serious F1/motorsport related questions only.

I have deleted a few off topic posts from this thread,

This is meant to be for serious F1/motorsport related questions only.

Yes sorry my fault

But I do have a serious question.

Why are the teams allowed to do anything to the cars when there's a red flag? What makes this decision stand? What is it's pro's and con's? I think it only should be allowed for wet races, or if something needs to be changed to all cars during the race which is deemed dangerous. Also, where they allowed to refuel the cars back in the refuelling era in this situation?

I think the red re-start regulations haven't changed since teams were allowed spare cars. They are designed to allow as many cars as possible to re-join the race. The rules may have to updated to fit in with the new tyre rules.

There used to be quite frequent red flags at the start of races and effectively it was a brand new race but with a reduced number of laps. I think one of the tech experts will have the relevant regulations listed here in no time at all!

Ask and ye shall receive

41.4 Whilst the race is suspended :
- neither the race nor the timekeeping system will stop, however, in accordance with Article 5.3 the length of the race suspension will be added to the maximum two hour period ;
- cars may be worked on once they have stopped on the grid or entered the pits but any such work must not impede the resumption of the race ;
- only team members and officials will be permitted on the grid.

41.5 Cars may not enter the pit lane when the race is suspended. A drive through penalty (see Article 16.3.a) will be imposed on any driver who enters the pit lane or whose car is pushed from the grid to the pit lane after the race has been suspended. Any car which was in the pit entry or pit lane when the race was suspended will not incur a penalty. However, if the cars have been directed into the pit lane (see Articles 40.10 and 41.2) a penalty will only be imposed on any driver whose car is moved from the fast lane to any other part of the pit lane. All cars in the pit lane will be permitted to leave the pits once the race has been resumed but any which were in the pit entry or pit lane when the race was suspended will be released before any others. Subject to the above, any car intending to resume the race from the pit exit may do so in the order they got there under their own power, unless another car was unduly delayed. At all times drivers must follow the directions of the marshals.

Why is a rear wing so much harder to change/fix than a front wing?

Because it's firmly bolted on, for safety reasons, and is not designed to be swapped during a race (unlike the front wing which is, and comes as part of the complete nose unit that has quick-release fixings to the monocoque).

Because it's firmly bolted on, for safety reasons, and is not designed to be swapped during a race (unlike the front wing which is, and comes as part of the complete nose unit that has quick-release fixings to the monocoque).

That's certainly the reasoning why it's so difficult, but I suppose a more complex question is why hasn't there been an incentive to make the rear wing an integral part of a unit, with quick releases...

I think the answer to this is twofold...
a) The front wing is far more likely to get damaged than the front wing - rear wings aren't regularly damaged.
b) Since the rear wing is essentially bolted onto the gearbox, the only option would be to have the gearbox as a quick release unit - which is impractical!

b) Since the rear wing is essentially bolted onto the gearbox, the only option would be to have the gearbox as a quick release unit - which is impractical!

Not necessarily - the Audi R8 sportscar had a modular rear end that allowed the entire gearbox-rear suspension-rear wing assembly to be unbolted and replaced in very quick time. Probably not quite to the speed required for an F1 pitstop, but still not out of the question, if somebody decided it was worth investigating?

Except teams can't change gearboxes in F1 until they've done x number of races, so it would have to be independent of the gearbox and suspension (which would require setting up and therefore be impractical).

It could come as a modular unit though I suppose, but would have to be redesigned bearing in mind the load it would be subjected to.

Presumably, a modular rear wing/gearbox assembly would also necessarily have other issues such as weight and ease of packaging, given that it's essentially a structural part of the car - with the rear suspension mounting as well?

The other issue with a modular system would be the question of whether it could cope with the torsional strain put upon it by the engine - would a modular system ever be stiff enough?

I remember in the late 90s and early 00s rear wings could be changed within 30-40s.

I have seen them change them in race conditions within that margin when a rear wing completely comes off, or quite damaged.

However as for now, as someone stated on here, are probably more firmly bolted for safety reasons. I don't know but I am sure I saw them getting changed a while back.

Hopefully not to off theme but concerning wet weather, where does all the water entering the cockpit go? (I don't think I could race with wet undies)

I remember reading somewhere, (can't remember where though, it may have been an interview with Jenson Button) that at the speeds they're traveling at, not a great deal of water actually gets into the cockpit. I'm happy to be corrected on that though...

Sounds about right Sobriety, more chance of getting your ass burned there rather than (I refuse to call it "cockpit") the area being full of water.

Edit: Getting your butt burned has actually happened several times...bad example...

Back
Top Bottom