Ask The Apex

I always thought it was that....but can never be sure.

If I didn't ask it probably would have been something like an illegal system which they have :D
You reckon they might have a mini flexible F-duct that goes through the drivers helmet to keep it hidden?

You reckon they might have a mini flexible F-duct that goes through the drivers helmet to keep it hidden?

I never said that :unsure:

I said if I haven't asked, as usual if I presume something it is always wrong, well technically I didn't say it, more so implied it.

What's that wire thing that connects to the car that the drivers pull out when they get out? :dunno:

They also have monitors for heart rate, blood pressure etc - like they used to use on the Apollo astronauts space suits. Schumie started a lot of this, even having blood samples taken at the end of each practice session to measure blood oxygen levels so he could maximise his fitness. Apart from breaking all known records in F1 he really raised the bar for the other competitors in terms of personal fitness.

Schumie started a lot of this, even having blood samples taken at the end of each practice session to measure blood oxygen levels so he could maximise his fitness. Apart from breaking all known records in F1 he really raised the bar for the other competitors in terms of personal fitness.

I remember that the tv feed in Brazil one year managed to get Senna's heart rate measurements from McLaren as live - so they were able to show what was happening to his HR whilst he was racing!

I remember that the tv feed in Brazil one year managed to get Senna's heart rate measurements from McLaren as live - so they were able to show what was happening to his HR whilst he was racing!

So Schumacher was only doing what Senna had already done then.
*Lights blue touch paper and retires*

Ah, Didier Pironi and Gilles Villeneuve were experimenting with this back in 1981. Villeneuve in practice but Pironi was monitored for the whole of the Monaco GP. If I can find the article in one of my old magazines I'll scan it and post it up.

I have a couple of questions.

I have seen KERS reset just before the start/finish line and drivers use it just before they cross it, I have seen it in one of the Monaco practice sessions, can't remember who did it and I just watched the Spanish GP onboard lap with Alonso and he does the same.

I thought it charges AT the start/finish line not before it?

Also, why do team principals watch the start of the race down to the first corner from the garage monitor, then run to the pitwall after? Why not just watch it from the pit wall?

Mornin'. Throughout the lap the system is recovering kinetic energy that would otherwise be lost as heat when the car is braking. It's a bit misleading when commentators refer to a recharge at the start/finish line. It's at that point that, with the system fully charged, the actuator is reset to enable the driver to use the stored energy. The energy stored is limited in the rules so effectively the drivers only have it available to use for around six or seven seconds per lap.

I've got a question relating to the Monaco GP and to a smaller extent the other temporary street circuits.

In a normal race weekend F1 racing is just the headline event with a host of smaller formula racing alongside them during the weekend. GP2 in particular is quite a large event and they bring with them a huge amount of equipment and people. At most circuits this extra influx of people and baggage will have room to set up camp within the massive paddock complexes that most circuits have. This brings me to my question.

Where do the smaller formula set up their cars at Monaco?

I've got a question relating to the Monaco GP and to a smaller extent the other temporary street circuits.
Where do the smaller formula set up their cars at Monaco?
I can't answer your question, but I do know that at Monaco space is so limited that there is not enough room to accommodate all the other formulae. GP3 for instance, which supports all the other European F1 weekends as GP2 does, is absent from Monaco for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom