Technical A circular debate... tyres for 2013

The way I read it was that he thinks the tyres should have a slightly wider working range and I believe a lot of people were saying that at the beginning of the year, the tyres at the end of the years were completely different to the tyres at the start...

He did say its because its not fair on some teams (rather than drivers) though, which is why he wants it wider. That said all teams suffered so I'm not sure how unfair it was. Surely that's down to the team to manage if others are getting it right (unless its Red Bull, they must be punished now).

That's exactly what he said my first response being "uh oh" second response being is it all down to the luck of the team? Perhaps driver and set up played a part?

It did seem on a race weekend where one driver suffered the other in the team did as well, to what degree is debatable but the trend was there.

I think that with so many teams having such dramatically different fortunes, it seemed to me like the operating range was very tricky to get to, certainly at the start of the season, and hitting the sweet spot may have been down to good set up, but may have been getting it right by chance, at the right time, on the right track. Mercedes were not great at Malaysia, and suffered with massive tyre issues, which seemed to disappear by China.

My personal thought would be "So what" surely it is the same for everyone, and being a team sport, it is situations like these that lead the technical bods to earn their money.

I agree to an extent but we don't want the outcome of a race decided on luck (Although it often does.) I think getting the tyres to work should not be the most important element of the race weekend as it has been on occasions this season...

That's right Bill Boddy if it was down to skill then the best driver would have won the first seven races of the season but that just didn't happen did it, and so the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it was down to circumstances and a driver lucking in.

I don't care if a tyre is hard to switch on or has a high wear rate, all I ask is that it is consistent across cars and set up so that we get a fair contest....

I think I know what you are saying, Mephistopheles, and I think I agree with you. Are you essentially saying that you want the balance between driver and equipment in F1 to move more towards the driver? I know that learns towards all-encompassing. Sorry for being so simplistic.

ExtremeNinja
I think what he's trying to say is that the tyres are the one element that is not controlled by the teams! As such, if you have a very narrow window of operation, then it may be that only one team has the correct geometry of the suspension, or some other design feature... This was why the front/rear weight balance was fixed...

At the beginning of the season, who was dominant was largely down to luck... f1 should not be about lucking into a setup...

The whole point of those tyres was to level the playing field, make racing exciting( falsely). Unpredictability was what they wanted,but still the better drivers got a handle on it quicker and more consistently,and the better teams at developing learnt to manage them better and make them work on their car. So by the end of the season it was less unpredictable. Cream will rise. My choice would be stop messing and meddling and give the drivers a tyre they can race on, right from the start.This is motor racing not tyre conservation.
If that's what Jenson wants I'm with him, but I'm not sure it is.

I rather think that Jenson was talkign about tyres that will not just wipe out if you don't get them in the currently very narrow working window. I don't care if the tyres fall apart after 5 laps, as long as the working window is larger and they drop off consistently for all 22 cars. I don't think that is too much to ask for..

All the drivers/teams were given exactly the same tyres and opportunity to test the tyres were they not? Saying it's not fair is like saying introducing a new circuit is not fair because it will suit some teams more than others. Or it's not fair to drive in the rain because one driver or team can cope better than others. The start of the season especially when there are new regulations, circuits, conditions, rules is always going to be a bit of an unknown, then comes the development race. Why should it be any different with tyres?

Tyres are (I think) quite important in making a car go around and around. Why should this part be easy for the teams? Degredation and forcing use of both compounds is stupid as it's catering for the masses but understanding the narrow operating window of a tyre and ensuring you've got the right set up and understanding the tyres I think is no different than going to a new circuit and driving in changeable conditions.

racecub
I think I agree to a point with you, but I suspect you're going to think I'm disagreeing with you here....

It would be nice to see the possibility of 2 options - Pushing with the tyres, but necessitating an extra tyre stop, or alternatively be able to look after the tyres, save a tyre stop, but be slower over the individual stints... Tyres that you can push endlessly for an entire race without any degredation are fairly uninteresting. Similarly, tyres which you have to baby just to make it into a 3 stop race...

I still think that it wasn't the teams getting a handle on the tyres but the tyres themselves were subtly changed mid season....

On a different not may I request of The Pits to move all the posts on last years tyres to a different or it's own thread I know it started off as a comment made by button but it has become something quit different and unassociated with Jenson....

In fact this is the first time his name has been mentioned since this side topic started.....;)

Back
Top Bottom