Grand Prix 2022 French Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Between 2009 and 2017 there was no French Grand Prix, which was a huge insult to the history of motor racing. Why you may ask? If you look back, France basically gave us this sport.

The first competitive motor race took place between Paris and Rouen in 1894. The first Grand Prix was run in 1906 by the Automobile Club de France and took place in Sarthe, not that far from where the Le Mans 24 hour race now takes place.

France held a Grand Prix in the first season of the World Championship in 1950, with a race a Reims won by Fangio.

The 1951 race has two winners listed, Fangio and Fagioli. Fagioli was obliged to swap cars with Fangio as the Argentine's car had developed a misfire. They shared the points for the win and Fagioli promptly quit Grand Prix racing on the spot having been required to give his car to Fangio.

Porsche took their one and only F1 win in 1962 with Dan Gurney driving round Rouen.

Jean-Pierre Jabouille won the first ever race for a turbocharged F1 car in 1979 at Dijon. A race more often remembered for the wheel banging battle between Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux at the end of the race.

Alain Prost took his first ever Grand Prix win at the 1981 race in Dijon.

Michael Schumacher has won the race an astonishing 8 times

And finally, statistically the best Grand Prix driver never to take part in a world championship race, Jean-Pierre Wimille, won the French race in 1936 and 1948.

I've impressed myself as I haven't mentioned the nausea inducing painted run off areas at the modern Paul Ricard circuit until the very end. Max won last year. This year we have 53 laps to get through. Let's hope it's better than previous races at this circuit.

Enjoy

1658433184042.png

in the defence of F1 & France they may have brought invented motorsport but they have terrible tracks, the last 40 years. not since dijon has been a good circuit, a magny cours was far too remote & it had highlights but it wasnt good racing most of the time. & then a test track at paul ricard that last year finally had entertaining for the 1st time since its return.

it is strange France invented Grand Prix motor racing but the country itself has had little success as nation bar Prost and in terms of teams off all associated with Renault be it as engine partners or themselves
-------
he cut the mustard that year
Clearly it needed French rather than English

Another interesting French GP fact.

It was 50 years ago this year, while driving at the Circuit de Charade (Clermont-Ferrand) in the French GP, that Helmet Marko's Formula one driving career ended due to a life changing injury. The circuit suffered from an abundance of loose rocks and stones that slipped down the mountain side and on to edge of the track. One of these stones was flicked up by Emerson Fittipaldi's Lotus while Marko was close behind. The stone pierced Marko's helmet and blinded him in his left eye. Ironically Marko had qualified in his best ever position (6th place) and was running well inside the top six when the accident occured on lap 8.

awkward moment on F1 when the presenter of F1 for last 10 years said confidently there hasnt been a french winner of the French GP since 1996. by Jean Alesi. the guy that famously won 1 race the 1995 Canadian GP

awkward moment on F1 when the presenter of F1 for last 10 years said confidently there hasnt been a french winner of the French GP since 1996. by Jean Alesi. the guy that famously won 1 race the 1995 Canadian GP
Poor Olivier Panis and Pierre Gasly

Ferrari looking fast. Sainz has taken more engine parts so will start from the back.

Neither did I. When did they slip that one in?
Its been there since the beginning of the season that rookies must be given a practice one to showcase their abilities

Its interesting when Ferrari and Red Bull will do it with their main drivers.. they both are hoping when the championship is over no doubt

Huh, I had no idea there was a rule forcing drivers to give up one FP1 session per season.
yeah i think it was one of those where you ask them to do it & they dont, so you have to force them, because the sport are worried about how few opportunities young drivers coming through have to drive current car & trying to find a new way as the 10,000km of testing isnt possible any more

typical French GP, you have to start queuing for friday practise. if you want to see qualifying. which doesnt help the quell the rumours that this could be final French GP. as we are in the situation where we have more contracts than spaces on the 2023 calendar & from ive read its China + 1 to go. from 2022 for Las Vegas

Last edited:
typical French GP, you have to start queuing for friday practise. if you want to see qualifying. which doesnt help the quell the rumours that this could be final French GP. as we are in the situation where we have more contracts than spaces on the 2023 calendar & from ive read its China + 1 to go. from 2022 for Las Vegas

This is what Silverstone used to be like in the ‘90s. There were many threats to drop the British GP back then when the roads were chaotic, but in the end, the A43 was massively upgraded, and traffic management put in place for the race.

There is something about the French GP:
  • Mangey Course - isolated, difficult to get to, usually poor racing
  • Paul Ricard - isolated, difficult to get to, usually poor racing…
The Chinese GP had the benefit that it’s right by a transport hub in Shanghai (and when I was in Shanghai for the weekend of the 1,000th race), the city was celebrating the GP - you couldn’t go anywhere without seeing something related to the GP (in fact, I saw Lewis Hamilton in my hotel)

Back
Top Bottom