Grand Prix 2020 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Premium Contributor
You'll get into trouble doing that.

Beat them indoors where no-one can see.
That's nothing compared to the fact that Lando Norris has let a 6 year old girl play with his helmet.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I really worry for Alex Albon's future...

The performance of the "second driver" at Red Bull has very much reflected the performance that we used to see at Benetton with Schumacher... At Benetton, there was always rumours that the focus was all on Schumacher - For obvious reasons, the same seems to be true at Red Bull, but, Verstappen probably deserves it!
Not really - I am sure his Dad has been telling him what he saw at Benetton when he was Schumacher's teammate. He has the mentality " Look after No1 and screw your teammate if you have to" mentality

It is because of this I think Red Bull have become a weaker team because both Ricciardo and Sainz were options they did not want to massage Max's ego

I sometimes feel Red Bull do seem to screw Albon at the moment. In terms of replacements the Moose would be available after next week

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I was flicking through an old F1 Racing Magazine talking about the clash of the titans between Vettel and Hamilton about to kick off in 2016 . Based on then it was believed that on pure speed and racing Hamilton would win but in terms being able to get the team behind him and play the politics to do it would be Vettel. One key difference then was Ferrari had James Allison then to run the team like Ross Brawn and sort them out and guess who he has been working for since 2016 ... Mercedes that can't be ironic with both teams fortunes

Il_leone

Champion Elect
It's not Mercedes fault where the teams have ended.

Ferrari in the past agreed with Mercedes about hybrid era to stay at the front and have two custimer teams that dont seem to do much for them . Mercedes have customer teams but they are clearly getting every detail right to maintain their superiority with the engine

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
It's not Mercedes fault where the teams have ended.

Ferrari in the past agreed with Mercedes about hybrid era to stay at the front and have two custimer teams that dont seem to do much for them . Mercedes have customer teams but they are clearly getting every detail right to maintain their superiority with the engine
I don’t disagree with you, but what I worry is the Mercedes might have undue influence... as soon as Ferrari caught up with Mercedes, their engine was throttled back... Mercedes also seem to veto anything that might have any impact on their dominance (as you would expect, mind you)...

rufus_mcdufus

Champion Elect
The TV coverage was frustrating because while Bottas's front tyre looked pretty critical, I could see behind that Lewis had the same wear pattern, though slightly less severe. They then cut to lots of midfield overtakes when I just wanted to see the state of the tyres, and whether other cars were suffering.

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
sobriety - even if that's true... Verstappen is never going to win the championship this year... By pitting, it more or less guaranteed that Verstappen wasn't able to win the race..

sobriety

Pole Sitter
Horner just confirmed that Verstappens tyres were shot too, so if they'd left him out there was no guarantee he wouldn't have had a tyre failure too.

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
sobriety - I don't disagree with that (and of course Horner would say that in retrospect), but, given that there's no chance in the championship, sometimes, you just need to roll the dice... By stopping, there was no chance of winning. By not stopping, there was a chance of winning (not least given the Mercedes tyre failure...)

Top Bottom