Grand Prix 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Welcome to the final PQR thread for 2020 and the first design-your-own.

Pick and choose the bits you want to read and post about.

Or you can read a proper write up here: Grand Prix - 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The important bit first - human rights:

Previous GP discussion, etc.:

Circuit history, result, and records:

Chit chat, blah blah:
Hamilton may not make the race due to COVID-19, so Russell may get another drive.
Or maybe they'll just put a tub of lard in the car, a la Have I Got News For You.

Will Bottas underwhelm again?

Will Vettel even bother to turn up this time?

Enjoy.

FB_IMG_1607808289034.jpg

Galahad - it's really frustrating seeing the drivers who get to keep seats in F1....
  • Ocon
  • Latifi
  • Stroll
  • ... Bottas
I'm really glad that Haas had the bravery to drop both of its drivers (although I'm much less happy with replacing them with Mazepin...)

Every so often, F1 needs to clear out the old-guard... I remember Coulthard continuing to sit in a seat that he wasn't really doing anything with (at McLaren)...

Well there you go, a race dominated by Max Verstappen in a Red Bull is just as dull as one dominated by Lewis Hamilton in a Mercedes. I write this at about half distance, let's hope something happens in the remaining laps.

I'm really frustrated that Hamilton has now said that he was massively below form today...

Being an F1 driver is a privilege, and personally, I think that if you are that unwell, you're putting yourself at risk

caught up with GP. absoutely dreadful. but typical for abu dhabi only 2010 maybe 2012 was any good, 1 of the strangest races ive seen from lewis in his career. i think ive seen. because it the 1st time ive ever say of a driver, i wonder what he could he have done despite seeing what he couldve done if he was 2nd. i know that lewis hamilton historically has a performance dip. after he;s won the title after all in 2015 he came 2nd to rosberg in the final 4 races in a row. this could be easily be covid as ive explained above with glen durrant was still struggling 2 months later. but it was like Lewis was so worried about being in the dirty air & maintaining the gap. he just wasnt bothered or forgot about overtaking. just drove in 1st gear all race

but impressive from max on winning the race, he was never in danger at all it was really comfortable, if red bull turn up start of the season like they do towards the end for 1st time since 2013. we could have a good title battle. because if he can finish only 9 pts behind bottas with unreliablity & 2 or 3 races being taken out. imagine if he had a car that could fight over the whole season not just final half

Brilliant achievement from Mclaren to finish 3rd & with a mercedes engine & riccardio im expecting big things from them in 2021. but you feel for racing point they deserved 3rd on track performances but the 2 engine blown in bahrain & abu dhabi have cost them a certain 3rd place

I'm really frustrated that Hamilton has now said that he was massively below form today...

Being an F1 driver is a privilege, and personally, I think that if you are that unwell, you're putting yourself at risk

i cant remember who but a manager was talking about a player. who was a doubt for the FA Cup Final.
he was asked "will you ask him if he fit enough for the Final"
he said "no because if ask him he's not going to tell me the truth"

It's a matter of degree. I mean he kept pace with Bottas the entire race seat whatever level he was, he can't have been hugely diminished.

P1 - this is Bottas we’re talking about... :D

I think the important question is the “what if?” question... fighter pilots are grounded if they‘re unwell... I don’t blame Hamilton, I blame Mercedes, who should have had the guts to say that he was too unwell to compete!

Last edited:
P1 - this is Bottas we’re talking about... :D

I think the important question is the “what if?” question... fighter pilots are grounded if they‘re unwell... I don’t blame Hamilton, I blame Mercedes, who should have had the guts to say that he was too unwell to compete!
The tin foil part of of my brain, makes me think that Hamilton was asked to work as rear gunner to ensure Bottas got 2nd in the drivers champ. Especially when he asked it Bottas had a problem.

Not sure if Russell would have not had a go.

Last edited:
I also think the red bull performance is so good that it means Mercedes may need its two best drivers in the cars next year. It strengthens the case for doing a Bottas Russell swap. Or fire Bottas, and get Russell, freeing up room for Perez at Williams.

Indeed.

Wasn't that why his time at McLaren consisted of a single season?

The rumour at the time was that he wasn't particularly easy to get on with.

Back
Top Bottom