Grand Prix 2019 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Everyone who has followed F1 since the 80’s or longer will be aware of Hungary’s status as the first GP to be held behind the Iron Curtain. It was Winston Churchill who first used the phrase “Iron Curtain” in a post WW2 speech commenting on the collapse of the war time alliance between East and West and the eventual creation of the Warsaw Pact.

The Hungarian GP, first held in 1986, represented another thaw in the Cold War which, by the early 80’s and the first term of Reagan presidency had seriously escalated towards all-out war at one stage.

It’s difficult to imagine now, just how close we were to triggering all out, global nuclear war in the early 80’s. Some history books have claimed that it was the Reagan doctrine that eventually forced the collapse of the Soviet Union through the economic and technological might of the US strangling the economy of the USSR in to submission. While this will remain the popular view in some parts of the West it is far from the reason why the Soviet Union collapsed. In the end it fell to people of the USSR to bring it down from the inside. From the strikes and riots across Eastern Europe, a more confident resistance to the regulation of Communist Rule spread relatively unchecked until a few, small but critical events toppled the whole empire.

One of these was the decision on May 2nd 1989 by the Hungarian Government to remove the electric fence border between Hungary and Austria. By the end of July 25 thousand East Germans had made the crossing from East Germany, through Czechoslovakia, into Hungary and then on to Austria and into the West. While the Austro-Hungarian border remained closed, there was now little to stop people crossing. Finally, on the 10th of September, the Hungarian Foreign Minister announced that the border between Hungary and Austria would be unrestricted. In just two days another 22,000 people crossed the border into the west. With growing demonstrations against the East German government and more civil unrest many more thousands followed suit and left for a new life. Czechoslovakia opened their border with West Germany on the 4th of November and finally, on the 9th of November the Berlin Wall opened.

Who knows what role if any, the Hungarian GP had in opening Hungary to the West and helping to give the country a wider outlook at a time when there seemed to be no end to the cold war? It certainly was worth having though.

Let’s hope for a fourth great race in a row.

I watched it "as live" as I was out today. I got quite excited and then we got the results we got (no spoilers here) and I was disappointed.

It was the sort of race I expected at this track, it's not known for producing the best races. I did feel for Max towards the end after all his hard work. I noted the pass by Vettel on Leclerc to let him know he's still there and not giving up his position in the team just yet. Not exactly a thrilling race but I was struck by how little progress Bottas made in a car that should have got him higher up the field, even on this track where passing isn't as easy.

Ruslan they messed up Norris's pitstop at the first set of stops and it dropped him down to 11th and he had to fight back up. Otherwise I would fully have expected him to be right behind Sainz in team formation at the end.

don't deny that Hungarian gp had alot too live up to but in its way. i think the race was as enjoyable as Austrian or British GP. it was fascinating race that for the last 45laps nobody knew who was going to win. & we had some fantastic battles for the lead. it was great win for Hamilton but he had to work hard for that, needed a fantastic drive. i was going to say fair play mercedes cocked up the 1st pit stop but won the race with the 2nd. but when your 40secs clear off 3rd it was a no brainer as they worst case where going to lose nothing. & if hamilton had overtaken max then roles wouldve been reversed. also Hamilton record now 81 wins, Schumacher 91 wins & 7 titles that once seemed impossible 10 yrs ago now implausibly seems in reach

as i said race was on a knifeedge max so close to a victory as couldve & wouldve held on if tyres hadnt gone off on lap 65. because he was keeping the gap in good way & i wont hammer red bull because that was a damned if you, damned if you dont. he was so close to be successful. if he pits & comes behind him sense it was game over. i like crofty although i wish he stop saying max never been this situation before, he won his 1st race under sereve pressure from kimi on the 40laps in 2016

Williams for 1 of there drivers & the team. summer break looks like a much happier one than it did a week ago. car looks unrecognizable from the last year & half of awfulness. Russell reminding me of Ricarddo & Ocon in the HRT & Marussia when really impressed even in the worse car

finally the 2 drivers under increasing pressure. Gasly starts 6th drops to 9th finishes 8th & lapped by his teammate. you dont see any outcome that has a 2nd season at red bull espically with red bull history theyve been extremely patient & Bottas well what can you say i think keeping 2nd in championship is the only positive he can take from the weekend. since the spin in germany title its 35pt swing. 62pts its too much now, fat lady isnt singing but shes warming up. Bottas almost needs 3 DNFs looks impossible Germany was 1st bad race Lewis had in 18 months. or win the next 7 races & hope a ferrari or Red bull beats lewis to 2nd. with Belgium & Monza next ferrari favoured tracks

If you find it dull Angel the you find it dull. I just remember some amazing races here thats all but every year people pull out the 'monaco without the walls' and 'impossible to pass' lines. Just perplexes me as to why it's got such a reputation.

Ruslan they messed up Norris's pitstop at the first set of stops and it dropped him down to 11th and he had to fight back up. Otherwise I would fully have expected him to be right behind Sainz in team formation at the end.
Yea, he was looking good for a while, then disappeared (or I forget about him). He does look competitive with the "rejuvenated" Sainz.

Last edited:
If you find it dull Angel the you find it dull. I just remember some amazing races here thats all but every year people pull out the 'monaco without the walls' and 'impossible to pass' lines. Just perplexes me as to why it's got such a reputation.

Maybe I've been talked into thinking it's a dull race. I don't know, it's not a track I think of as being one of the 'better' races of the season. I probably have low expectations of it because of a perceived lack of overtaking.

Ruslan yes I think they are pretty evenly matched with Sainz just edging it on experience. I was always a big Sainz fan but he was really awful last year so really glad to see him back to where he should be. Norris has always been a talent - was pretty obvious even back in his F4 days. I'm fairly certain that McLaren's revival is partly to do with having a pair of young hungry talented drivers with a positive attitude. It's amazing what life that can bring to a team. You only have to look at Torro Rosso this year to see another example of that.

Ruslan yes I think they are pretty evenly matched with Sainz just edging it on experience. I was always a big Sainz fan but he was really awful last year so really glad to see him back to where he should be. Norris has always been a talent - was pretty obvious even back in his F4 days. I'm fairly certain that McLaren's revival is partly to do with having a pair of young hungry talented drivers with a positive attitude. It's amazing what life that can bring to a team. You only have to look at Torro Rosso this year to see another example of that.

I have always had my doubts about just how good Sainz is. His performance last year compared to Hulkenberg just reinforced my doubts. Now, he is clearly doing better, but hard to say how much better. Is he doing better as in he is as good a Hulkenberg now (who has been beaten by Ricciardo and Perez)....or is he doing better as in he is better than Hulkenberg? For Sainz to remain a top driver with the improving McLaren team, he sort of needs to be better than Hulkenberg, as it is going to start attracting the attention of other drivers.

Anyhow, Sainz and Norris have another year together, but with McLaren improving, I would not be surprised if a bigger name driver starts looking at them for a ride in 2021, especially if the Renault engine improves (or they switch back to Mercedes).

sainz has done a fantastic job of rebuilding his reputation. when last yr Renault spent over a year chasing him & red bull. only to dump him after half a season was damaging. but he been great can see him & norris at McLaren for a quite a few years now

& example for bottas & gasly that reputations can be restored after a bad season

Are you suggesting that Valterri Bottas' reputation as a very workman like No. 2 driver could be improved upon?

well maybe needs a team with lower expectations. as every race he got with Lewis his reputation that was high when joined is taking a battering

Kubica's woes continue however I'm sure he will last the season at Williams for the following reasons.

1. We don't know how much technical input he is giving the team. While he lacks pace he may have helped in improving the car.

2. William's can I'll afford to waste money paying a driver off.

3. It doesn't matter who sits in the second seat. The car's a dog so it's better to have an experienced driver's feedback for now and turn the car over to another driver next season.

Are you suggesting that Valterri Bottas' reputation as a very workman like No. 2 driver could be improved upon?
You raise an interesting question: how would Mercedes benefit by dropping Bottas? He has done an excellent job for them with a few wins, regular podiums and apparently happy to support the #1 driver without complaint (as long as he's not too blatantly ill-treated). He's been 3rd and 5th in WDC and is currently running 2nd. He's helped Mercedes win WCC in each year he's been with them. I don't see why Mercedes would drop him.

You raise an interesting question: how would Mercedes benefit by dropping Bottas? He has done an excellent job for them with a few wins, regular podiums and apparently happy to support the #1 driver without complaint (as long as he's not too blatantly ill-treated). He's been 3rd and 5th in WDC and is currently running 2nd. He's helped Mercedes win WCC in each year he's been with them. I don't see why Mercedes would drop him.

good point but F1 has moved on from the mid 00s of the number 1 drivers & number 2 drivers. whether it is public pressure or doubling your chances but ferrari gone with Leclerc & Vettel, Red Bull had Ricardio & Verstappen. Mercedes had Hamilton & Rosberg they want 2 drivers & if 1 cant challenge for title then its pressure will mount for someone who can

Back
Top Bottom