Football 2016-2017 Season and beyond

How does one cope with ones head coach being sacked yet but a couple of weeks before a crucial match between Severnside Rivals? Especially when it's an ex-sag? ... No excuse now, boys...

Oh, I'm not so sure! Just hope that the sheep-lovers will trip over their own wool and the Ciderheads can take advantage! :victory:
(The above sentence contains technical terms. So for the un-technical, it means I hope Cardiff City lose and Bristol City win...)

Maybe we could start rumours that Dodgy Darrell Clarke has been seen checking out sheep near Cardiff. Just to unsettle things across the river in taffland, you understand... :whistle:

EDIT: I also trust Little Lee to either start with the correct team/tactics to win the match, or if not, then to make the necessary substitutions and changes, as he's shown himself so adept at doing so. COYR! :cheer:

Last edited:
Warnock is certainly not the manager you want 1st time out. As he will have running them thru brick walls. But all about the opening goal you get they could collapse. Cardiff get it & you could be jn for long night

Although after selling us simon moore most sheff utd fans love Cardiff. As he's amazing not be a stretch to say best GK in L1:D

Gerry Gow 1952-2016

image: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/cms_images/other/gerrygow43213-3354981_613x460.jpg

gerrygow43213-3354981_613x460.jpg

Read more at Gerry Gow 1952-2016

Gerry Gow: A Tribute

gerrygowbcfc169213-3355681_613x460.jpg

Gerry Gow

Image by: Getty Images

Read more at Gerry Gow: A Tribute

The Scottish midfielder who was adored by City supporters.
  • Gow passes away at the age of 64
  • Midfielder made 445 appearances for the club
  • Scotsman was part of '76 promotion-winning team
Bristol City Football Club has lost a real friend.

Those were the words of majority shareholder Steve Lansdown on hearing the sad news that Gerry Gow has sadly lost his battle with cancer.

The Glaswegian came down from Bonnie Scotland for trials at the club in 1969 on the same train as Tom Ritchie and suitably impressed, earning a contract.

Gerry (originally Gerald on the match programme) made his debut on April 4th 1970 in a 2-1 away defeat at Charlton Athletic. Little did we know then that it would be the first of 445 appearances, a figure that still to this day makes him eighth on the list of all-time appearances for the club.

His first goal came the following season in a 3-3 draw at Sheffield United. By now boss Alan Dicks had installed the Scotsman as a mainstay in the City midfield.

As seasons passed with Gerry in the team, City began to progress, moving away from relegation battles towards the ultimate challenge of winning promotion to the top flight.

In 1972/73, as City finished fifth in the old Second Division, Gerry’s 13 goals in all competitions made him the team’s top scorer.

The following year he was given the ultimate accolade, Player of the Season, as voted for by the supporters who by now adored him.

Ray Cashley, Geoff Merrick, Trevor Tainton, Tom Ritchie and Gerry Gow – those were the five ever-presents in 1975/76 as City completed their mission of promotion, finishing second in the division behind Sunderland.

Other regulars in that famous team were: Paul Cheesley, Gary Collier, Bryan Drysdale, Keith Fear, Donnie Gillies, Jimmy Mann, Gerry Sweeney and Clive Whitehead – the man who scored the decisive promotion-sealing goal against Portsmouth.

Gerry played 27 times in the top flight the following season, scoring just once – but it was a pretty important goal that still holds its place in history.

It was at Coventry City’s Highfield Road on May 19th, the final day of the season. With the match delayed, both teams knew a draw would be enough to keep them up, but City trailed 2-0 after 52 minutes.

Gerry took the game by the scruff of its neck and scored a sweet volley from Gillies’ header down. Gillies netted with 11 minutes left to secure City’s safety, in a game that ended with both teams passing the ball around in a controversial stalemate.

To Gerry and his team-mates, the controversy mattered little. They had done what was required of them.

City were to enjoy four seasons at English football’s top table. Gerry again won the Player of the Season award in 1979, but two years later, following City’s relegation to the Third Division, his time with the club ended.

Appearances: 445
Goals: 54

He joined Manchester City to get back into the First Division. Where he belonged.

That season he played in an historic FA Cup final, as Ricky Villa stole the headlines for Tottenham Hotspur with a solo wonder goal that sealed an incredible replay success for the Londoners at Wembley.

It was to be Gerry’s only season with the Citizens. He moved on quickly to Rotherham United before ending his playing career with Burnley. He returned to the South West to take charge of Yeovil Town and Weymouth.

It says it all about the man that Gerry was granted a retrospective testimonial in 2012, to celebrate his 12 years of service at the club.

Shaun Goater, Jackie Dziekanowski, Brian Tinnion, Mickey Bell, Scott Murray, Bob Taylor – they all came back to join Gerry in the Legends team that took on their counterparts from, fittingly, Manchester City. The game attracted more than 3,000 fans, despite the fact it took place 31 years after his last appearance for the club.

On the pitch he carried the fight for the team and his team-mates. His lung-busting, tough-tackling approach is what won him the hearts of City fans. Off the pitch he was a true gent, always willing to give up his time for those who supported him.

Sadly, at the age of 64, cancer has brought his life to an end all too soon. But the memories will live on.

Thank you Gerry. RIP
Read more at Gerry Gow: A Tribute

McZiderRed

I posted on the OTIB forum. Gerry Gow in the early 80's lived just around the corner from our house in Hanham and would drink in the Elm Tree pub where my mum worked. They would chat about family stuff and one day Gerry came in with 'something for your boy' and gave my mum a Man City v Spurs FA Cup final programme signed by some players from both teams.

The guy was a gent and a City legend.

Talking to a bloke I work with who has been a life long Man City fan. He saw him play as a kid and described him as a cult hero at Maine Road. A sad loss.

Another great win 7 goals in 2 games is unheard of recently i remember under weir when baxter won September goal of the month by default, 9 unbeaten & when you think where we were pre oxford at start of this unbeaten run, performances are night & day

cider_and_toast McZiderRed we're sheff utd & were coming for you LOL

What a day yesterday was after 6yrs of frustration & shedloads of crap Ched Huddersfield Yeovil Weir Swindon Hartlepool Fleetwood (1st yr) Adkins Shrewsbury & Southend x2. We have finally made it & look forward to the Sheffield derby is it more important the clip the apex derby v bristol city LOL:1st::1st::1st:LOL

The video of wilder come off the coach with champagne spraying is hilarious
IMG_20170408_185350.jpg
20170408_214023.png

There's a serious risk Pompey might make one of the automatic promotion places in League 2 :o Wonder if the man from Disney will get his cheque book out?

pompey would deserve after what the fans been through because multiple owners for 7 yrs nearly destroyed the club, spending money like they had man utd 75000 crowds & they 18000

It was all worth it for the FA Cup and European adventure though, right? Would you rather have been mid-table Championship for the past ten years, FB?

Talking as a Bristol City fan, I'd have been delighted with spending the last 10 years as a mid-table championship team.

It was all worth it for the FA Cup and European adventure though, right? Would you rather have been mid-table Championship for the past ten years, FB?

Normally id say yes all leicester fans know they are happy to be midtable after such an amazing adventure last 2 yrs premier league & champions league. But the 2 fa cup finals & european adventure had nearly come at the cost of the club as they came close to liquidation at 3 times to my knowledge

Hope you're relegated soon. :)

I hope not the blades could do with 4 pts off another bristol side next season eh cider_and_toast

But now, as Pompey work their way back through the leagues, we have the joy of celebrating promotions rather than the pointlessness of mid-table mediocrity. Better to be a big fish in a small pond.

Back
Top Bottom