Grand Prix 2015 Mexico Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Welcome to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico. We are back after 23 years.

1992 was the last race held here. The reasons it was cancelled were principally due to money issues, but also in no small part because of increasingly severe bumps on the track that they couldn’t afford to fix. This coupled with problems in Mexico City itself including increasing air pollution and a rapidly growing and increasingly lawless population saw the venue get the axe.

In 2015 Mexico city is the most populous city, with the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere, some 3 times larger than greater London. The visit Mexico brochures would describe it as colourful and wild, yet fail to mention the car jacking, gun battles, subway gangs and a murder rate over 5 times higher than London. I would love to visit, but you certainly want to make sure you read your guide book before you get off the plane as walking into the wrong area is definitely bad for your health. The city is set at a dizzying height of 2250m (7380feet) above sea level. Although the drivers may not exactly need oxygen masks, the cars at any rate will feel under powered here from the thinner air. Aero also works less efficiently in thinner air. With so many variables, I am hoping for a shake up in the running order as some teams nail the engine and areo settings and others mess it up.

The Hermanos Rodriguez Circuit has had $300 million thrown at it from state, federal and private investors in order to pay for what is now a heavily modified complex since our last visit here.

The old pits were demolished, the track, kerbs and crash barriers ripped up and the grandstands bulldozed. In early 2014 this place was literally a muddy field.

All the corners have been redesigned, mostly to accommodate safety run offs and aid overtaking, but most retain the spirit of the corner they replace such as the hair pin and the esses. A bigger change is the Peraltada that is now cut in half, with the ‘remaining’ half now slightly tighter and the removed half now one of the most fun stadium sections I have seen with the track going between 2 grandstands. I can already hear the groans about chopping up this famous corner, but the bottom line is the Peraltada had to be changed due to the proximity of the buildings preventing the existing small run off from being expanded. A hard concrete wall at the exit of a 186mph corner is simply not possible today. Some videos of the old corner and why it was changed are at the foot of this article.

The entire track has been laid anew to get rid of the horrendous bumps. No doubt they will return in time as the whole area is built on a lake bed next to 3 tectonic plate fault lines and is prone to earth quakes. But with any luck the track will get a good few years of smooth running.

As for the weather, at this point Hurricane Patricia seems to of been all talk and no trousers.Having said that there is little news of damage at the circuit. Maybe thats a good thing. Hopefully we will be getting a race. If we do, almost certainly it will be wet, the forecast is for thunderstorms all week.

So at this point in the season with 16 races down and just 3 to go, Merecedes and Lewis are our world champions :1st: and we are now just racing for kicks. which is absolutely fine by me. I’m looking forward to this one, lets hope it delivers.

The track mods.
Mexico_Track.png

The crashes.

Senna 1991

Mansell Berger. No crash just amazing.

Phillppe Alliot 1988 (not dead)

Last edited:
Last time we went to Mexico the most common issue experienced by drivers was more along the lines of multiple bowel issues. Montezuma seemed particularly keen on singling out N Mansell to exert his fevenge upon...

i dont know much about mexican gp, because its probably the 1st gp that was before my time i think i was only 18 months old when the mansell won 1992 ( sorry about that ;))

but im looking forward to this, interesting to see how the high altitude affects the cars because i know they go on about it at interlagos & i found out earlier this morning that the Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez is nearly 3 times higher with 2,200m compared to 800m at interlagos

From what I remember of the Mexican Gp the altitude had absolutely no effect on the form book, the fastest cars were still the fastest and there were no dramatic changes to the way the cars behaved. The one exception to that was the 1987-88 period when they had both turbo and normally-aspirated engines on the same grid. The non-turbo engines were much more affected, suffering a 15 per cent loss of power compared to the 2 or 3 % affecting the turbos,so these races were a bit like pitting F1 and GP2 cars together.

the biggest problem affecting the cars at the time wasn't altitude-related, it was the bumps. Easily the bumpiest track of the year, to the point that drivers experienced back pains and vision problems due to the rapid frequency of bumps on the track. Mexico is effectively built on mud and as the ground underneath constantly rumbles with tectonic activity I've got a feeling that newly-laid tarmac might quickly start resembling the old one! And might be in need of re-surfacing on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited:
Remember Mexico was only a Gp at the end of the turbo era from 1986 onwards after a gap of 15 years

When it was early in the season the issue was the bumps because it is situated near an Earthquake zone. Bernie's made a mistake running them back to back with the US who have lost out on money because the usual Mexican crowd they get have decided to their own race this year rather than Austin

Apparently CotA and Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez are discussing future package plans for tickets. It didn't happen this year because of how fast the Mexico tickets sold out, but they'd like to offer the fans a package deal on tickets, if their races continue to be back to back like this. I have to say that sounds like fun. Go to Austin, enjoy Texan food and an F1 race, either get a flight or take a road trip to Mexico City and enjoy Mexican food and an F1 race. Sounds like a good vacation.

Wow the track looks great. Love the stadium section. Everyone messing up the esses in the damp. Brilliant.
Decent crowd as well for a damp Friday in P1.

AND the final corner has been named after our Nige. Mansell corner, love that.

Right I'm off to make fahitas. Vive Mexico.

Last edited:
Palmer in the Lotus in P1. I assume its still RoGro for the Race?

Edit.

Wow Nico's brakes actually on fire. Flames and everything.
Lewis being told to cool his brakes as well. Merc need to changed their ducts I would say.

Last edited:
Any one know if that's the longest straight from the last turn to the first, in F1? It seems to go on forever.

I've now watched both practice sessions and have to say I find the track completely uninspiring. Yet another F1 "installation" rather than a circuit. Ho hum, such is life I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom