Football 2014 FIFA World Cup

We've not produced cloggers though, Gerrard and Henderson as a midfield couldn't clog a Dutch shoe. Fact is, Championship players are in the second round in this tournament with Chile, Costa Rica have triumphed in the same fixtures as England.

And if you produce cloggers, as Don Revie would tell you, you better bloody clog! We play consistently to our weaknesses as a football nation. That they managed a faster pace in Manaus than Sao Paulo beggers belief.

Also good to see David Villa go out in style. The man is a class act and one of the best goalscorers I have ever seen. A good all around player as well. David Villa of the Valencia days was like Suarez today if he had any class. Excited to see him in New York. Not sure how Mexico hasn't scored yet in this match but great to see more terrible officiating in Group A, just what we needed. Also i hate Neymar, but without him Brazil would be nothing. Haven't looked all too convincing against Cameroon except for some lovely bits of skill from him and Fred's offside goal. Not sure they'll get by Chile to be honest. Speaking of Chile they are the last World Cup side I would ever mess with. They look mean. Has to be the neck tattoos. Random ponderings over.

USA is looking good as well. The best teams I've seen so far: Nederlands, Costa Rica, France and Colombia.

This is my take on the next round:

Brazil will get by Chile but with difficulty
Nederlands face a more challenging game vs Mexico, I think the tricolor has yet to concede a goal, Nederlands via penalties
Colombia will probably face Uruguay, I expect the cafeteros to do well and move on to the next round
Costa Rica vs Ivory Coast, ticos should prevail
Argentina vs Switzerland, I don't expect an upset; Albiceleste to advance
France vs Nigeria, les Blues hands down
Germany vs Algeria, die Mannschaft sweating
Belgium vs USA, upset and Yanks will make it to quarters

Best World Cup in a long time (sorry to see England go early though)

USA doesn't really look good. Got quite lucky against Ghana, had a good share of the ball against Portugal but the only sources of offense were long shots and Fabian Johnson's runs along the wing. No real way through playing with one striker who is definitely not a back to goal operator. My USA starting lineup: Howard in goal of course, Beasley, Besler, Omar Gonzales, Yedlin in the back, Geoff Cameron holding mid, Jermaine Jones and Michael Bradley in the middle, Fabian Johnson and Dempsey on the wings and Altidore up top, Wondolowski when not healthy. Not sure what Klinsmann sees in Kyle Beckerman, or why he plays Cameron on the back line. Or why Bedoya starts over Yedlin.

Apart from the fact that headbutts don't leave teeth marks....

Bq6lq_dCUAAunAU.jpg

Ow! Luis, Luis, Luis..! What was he thinking..?! Was he thinking!?

Surely Suarez will now be up for a lengthy ban. After all, he has biting history...

EDIT: maybe a forensic test of the teeth marks might be necessary. :thinking:

Last edited:
I think it might be possible to tell from a distance if they are those teeth.

In some ways it is a tragedy for such a massively talented player to be tripped up by his own stupidity.
In other ways it is a tragedy that such a massive twat has so much success due to his talent.

Gutted that they have been knocked out in that fashion too. That was an egregious call. No way that's a penalty kick or even a foul. Horrendously bad call with grand implications. Colombia looks VERY good, especially considering they played the second half without Cuadrado and Quintero. Wow they are dangerous. Should beat up on a Suarez-less Uruguay.

As for the one everybody's talking about that Uruguay Italy match may have been the ugliest soccer game I have ever seen. Not even talking about the bite, just the game itself up to that point had absolutely zero flow and hardly any threatening attacks. The bite and subsequent Diego Godin goal actually opened it up for ten minutes, much better to watch. But Italy did that on purpose playing very defensively for a draw, Uruguay with some cheeky tactics but the red card there was right, maybe a bit harsh but a very malicious tackle.

Final thought: Is it just the jerseys, or is the entire Uruguay team incredibly buff?

Italy made sure both they and Uruguay looked bad. Shout out to Antonio Valencia though for receiving the most undeserving red card in history in today's match, unless of course he said something he shouldn't have to the ref. French dude slides in front of Valencia as he's running so naturally Valencia runs into him, French dude gets injured, Valencia sent off. Idiotic. People saying he went in studs first but he's literally just trying to run.

Word is the US - Germany game is very much under threat due to severe flooding the last couple days. Referees are to inspect the pitch in just under an hour.

Luis Suarez suspended for 9 matches & banned for 4 months from any football-related activity.

That's disgusting for a third offence; he should have been banned for life.

I thought FIFA only had the power to levy a 2 year suspension, which I figured he'd receive (moot point now obviously). 9 matches seems ridiculously lenient for repeated actions of this kind. Pretty much par for the course for this governing body though, right?

Back
Top Bottom