2014 / 2015 Silly Season. Drivers Market.

Incubus I feel Alonso does not want a repeat of the situation with Hamilton at Mclaren in that K Mag might be viewed as Ron's boy (scuse the pun) and get over aggressive when it comes to racing and it will upset Alonso

cider_and_toast Mephistopheles

Mclaren's history with engines

80-83 Ford - not sure if having Watson - a British driver was forced because it would please Ford who were supplying a lot of teams whilst Marlboro backed De Cesaris because of his dad and then seem to have this expectancy they wanted world class drivers namely world champions

84-87 Tag Porsche - no real influence as Mclaren paid for the engines exclusively

88-92 Honda - it was either Senna or Piquet as their man and Prost suggested that Ron should go with Senna - little did he know how much Honda loved him to the point he began to question being given weaker engines

93 Ford - No other option with Honda quitting although Marlboro wanted a world champion as Senna was not committed

94 Peugeot - A gamble that failed with no world champions on board as Prost was prevented from coming out of retirement so they wanted a French driver in Alliott who was given test duties and had good success in Sportscar team. Persistent pressure for place him at the expense of Brundle did not pay off and he only got his chance when Hakkinen was sick for 1 race

95-date Mercedes

- no real pressure in 95 except from Marlboro who expected a world champion driver and the only left was Mansell who Ron never respected it proved to be a disaster

- a joint young driver programme with Merc which includes Heidfeld, Zonta, Di Resta, Paffet , Turvey

- the closest they came was placing Heidfeld who Mercedes rated but Ron thought Kimi was better long term

- persistent rumours that M Schumacher was going to drive for Mercedes never materialised as Ron was quoted as saying he would run the team the way M Schumacher wanted

So Mclaren have not really bowed to engine supplier pressure

Last edited:
Il_leone I don't know... with hindsight it feels as though Alonso from day one took a dislike to Ron that was very personal and went beyond anything to do with the team. Like the way someone just gets on your nerves just for walking into the same room as you.

Maybe the main difference now is that he's older and copes with his antipathy better...

Alonso is a different man now than he was in 2007, man being the operative word. He won't fear any teammate regardless of who it is. Magnussen won't get close to him. I'm hoping Button will be his teammate, I think they'll work well together on and off the track.

Well Alonso just about as dam as near it confirmed he was at Mclaren Honda.
He is going to be with a top team. In a project for long term. That can challenge Mercedes.

Just announce it already.

Not sure what daft thinking Mclaren are going through because they have not won the constructors title in nearly 20 years
So I've just down a quick calculation of each the constructors except Marussia, Sauber and Caterham to show how much each driver contributed to the team score by %

Mercedes 701pts - Hamilton 54.8%, Rosberg 45.2%
Red Bull 405 pts - Ricciardo 58.8%, Vettel 41.2%
Williams 320pts - Bottas 58.1%, Massas 41.9%
Ferrari 216pts - Alonso - 74.5%, Raikkonen 25.5%
Mclaren 181pts - Button 69.6% , Magnussen 30.4%
Force India 155pts - Hulkenberg 61.9%, Perez 38.1%
STR 30pts - Vergne - 73.3%, Kyvat 26.7%
Lotus 10pts - Grosjean 80% , Pastor 20%

Surely if one driver brings home more than 60% of the team's points unless it was an outrageous one race fluke .. does that not say they 've had the edge over their teammate consistently throughout the season

seriously Mclaren were never going to make up 49pts on Ferrari to get the extra $10m which I think would have been the money to cover Button's wages and it was not helped that Magnussen got himself in a vulnerable position on lap 1

Button lost 7th place in the championship to Massa because of double points !!!

I'm sorry, Stoffel is not a name. Can we just call him Eric or George or something, and Von Doom is an equally silly surname unless you are the bitter enemy of the Fantastic 4..

Back
Top Bottom