2014 / 2015 Silly Season. Drivers Market.

Until 1978 only the first placed finishing car from any team would score points in the Constructors championship so it wouldn't matter if you raced one car or twelve you all had the same chance to score points.

For parts of 1972 and 1973 BRM ran 5 cars. Just imagine how many mechanics you would need to run that number these days.

So with the point system being 9,6,4,3,2,1 how would the following have been scored for the constructors title:

1 McLaren
2 Ferrari
3 Williams
4 McLaren
5 Ferrari
6 Tyrell
7 Lotus

As McLaren & Ferrari have multiple finishers in the top 6 would the points for the constructors be carried over to the next car or would Lotus still score 0

The point I'm trying to make is even if only the top 2 cars in a team score then teams finishing out of the points still won't gain any advantage by only allowing the top 2 cars to score in a 3 car system

for example

1 Mercedes
2 Mercedes
3 Mercedes
4 Williams
5 Williams
6 Williams
7 Red Bull
8 Red Bull
9 Red Bull
10 Ferrari
11 McLaren

In a only top 2 scoring system would McLaren still fail to score for the constructors?

Last edited:
I worked out some of these figures in the one horse championships thread however, if they finish as you have posted, they would score as follows:

1 Mercedes 9 points
4 Williams 6 points
7 Red Bull 4 points
10 Ferrari 3 points
11 McLaren 2 points
12 Cider Magic Racing 1 point.

Last edited:
In the 1970's you had situations where race entries included 5 Marches , 3 Ferrari's , 3 Mclarens ... a certain Nigel Mansell made his debut in a third Lotus

In Rallying when more than 2 cars was entered for a rally event the manufacturer usually nominates the two cars out of the three that would be contributing points to the constructors championship but off course it did not have the issue of a third car blocking other drivers

In Moto GP when it is simply the first bike manufacturer finishing position contributing towards the constructors so as cider_and_toast pointed out

:embarrassed:

Confession time.

I was wrong. I wen't back and checked the figures and the way I said it worked was totally wrong. :oops:

The score by the second placed car was discounted so that only cars finishing in a top 6 finish would score any points.

Take this example from the 1969 South African GP:

Finishing result

Stewart - Matra - 9 Points
Hill - Lotus - 6 Points
Hulme - McLaren - 4 Points
Siffert - Lotus - 3 Points
McLaren - McLaren - 2 Points
Beltiose - Matra - 1 Point.

For this result the constructors points were awarded as follows:

Matra - 9 Points
Lotus - 6 Points
McLaren - 4 Points.

So the points didn't roll downwards.

So, to review your example:

It would be as follows:

Mercedes - 25 Points
Williams - 12 Points
Red Bull - 6 Points
Ferrari - 1 Point

I'm going to take myself off and give my self a good :spank: and wear the CTA hat of shame :teary:

I should the first bike manafacturer in the points finishing position that matters

so if they finished

1 Honda
2 Yamaha
3. Honda
4. HOnda
5. Yamaha
6 Yamaha
7. Ducati

The counted scores for manufacturers championship would be

HOnda 1st
Yamaha 2nd
Ducati 7th

screenshot.175.jpg

If Ferrari refuse to sack Alonso and therefore deny him the severance package are they obligated to give him a race seat? Could he become the most expensive reserve driver ever.

Back
Top Bottom