Pre-Season 2013 F1 Winter Testing: 1 - Circuito de Jerez, 5-8 February

In 2009 Lewis was given a lemon, was dragged through the mire due to McLaren's lack of strategic nous, over protectionism and paranoia in Melbourne. Lewis' reaction was to drag that team and its lemon to two race wins, a second and two third places. Lewis is perfectly capable of developing a car and making it and a team do what he wants. Fact is McLaren always treated him as their boy and he looked up to them, despite their incredible lack of judgement and dubious honesty.

I see what you're saying, but don't see how Lewis has much to do with that turnaround. McLaren are historically very good at developing a car and turning around a disaster into something that has a lot of potential. McLaren made fundamental errors in their 09 car design, therefore all they had to do was fix them and add the gizmos such as the double diffuser which they were missing.

My opinion about Lewis is that because he has such natural talent in the car and can drive around a lot of problems, he isn't anywhere near as picky or specific on how he likes a car to be set up or drive to get the best out of it. Compare him to Jenson or Kimi for example who have to have a car setup to very precise and exact requirements for themselves to get the best out of it. I believe this would inherently mean that those other drivers would have to pay more attention to specific detail about car setup and behaviour and will have been doing so from a young age. Contrast this to Lewis who has likely always been able to just get in cars or karts and go mega fast in them, irrelevant of their specific handling characteristics. This will likely mean that he is a little less well educated in those areas. It is only a theory and I may be completely wrong - but all I know is if I required very specific requirements for something then I'd have to make sure I knew a lot more to ensure I can achieve those requirements, whereas, if I didn't have such specific requirements I wouldn't bother doing so.

Back
Top Bottom