Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

Baring in mind what tyres people have used. You could see some strategies like this:-

McLaren: (used) Option, (new) Prime, (new) Prime, (used) Option
Webber: (used) Option, (new) Prime, (used) Prime, (used) Option
Vettel: (used) Prime, (new) Prime, (used) Prime, (new) Option

So it looks like Webber is in the worse position as Christian Horner confirmed on Sky that he used 2 new sets of Prime tyres during Q1, which is 1 of the reasons why he couldn't use them in Q3. He therefore only has 1 new set of tyres. The McLaren's saved 2 new sets of Prime tyres, which is probably the optimal strategy. Saying this, Vettel only has 1 new set of Prime tyres like Webber but he is starting on the Prime and finishing on a new Option, which could be very interesting. He may be a little behind but on a track where overtaking is possible he could be a real threat during the last stint.

What is also interesting though is that if the Prime tyre is lasting much longer in the race then McLaren and Webber may do their last stint on a used Prime. If this is the case then even though Vettel has a new option, it may not be quite as much benefit as one may think.

Cracker of a quali again. Think that may be a happy trend for the season. Top 7 within 0.5 seconds. Do feel Lewis is leaving time on the track though, with that lockup into the final corner, and not completing a second run (does anyone know if it was faster?). Feeling good for the race tomorrow. There is an inevitability of rain though, is there not? 3 days not majorly effected by rain? Seems unlikely. ;)

Hamilton going for Vettel's pole record?

Tad early for that talk. ;) Much tighter grid this year and much better team mate, so I'd say it was unlikely. If the grid was to stay the way it is though (unlikely), I can see him having a quali season similar to Vettel 2010.

Wow, Red Bull are sure slow on the straights. Check out this - http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/mal-qualifying-trap.pdf

Vettel is 14 KPH down on Schumi and 10 KPH down on Hamilton. OK, Schumi's could be partly due to their super DRS but surely that means the RB's will struggle to pass the McLarens and Mercs during the race. Saying this, RB do run a skinny rear wing so maybe their relative straight line speed will be better in the race.

Not much different from Australia. I think Red Bull are focused on setting their car up for racepace. Red Bull have always been slower on the straights though, even when they were quick.

I do appreciate that I have been a bit harsh, but every time I watch Vettel it is with a big question mark over his head. The questions about him which are supposedly unanswered keep getting answered. It is a big point of interest for me. It's not that I want to see him fail, it's just that I want to create a full picture of him. I have my hypothesis and the evidence to support it continues to grow.

I guess the two "questions" about Vettel are:

1. Can he overtake?
He's proven that with his pass on Alonso in Monza last season and with the one on Rosberg last week in Australia. If you are in a top car you just don't have to overtake as much as when you are in a Sauber or whatever midfield car.

2. Can he deliver a good performance in a car which is not the best?
Undoubtedly yes, apart from that minor achievement in Monza 2008 he has proven last week that he can do very well in these situations. He finished 2nd in Australia last week and he qualified 5th today on the harder tyres, which is something quite astonishing.

We have seen Vettel crack under pressure before. Last year, he and Red Bull made it very easy for him. I'm looking forward to seeing how, a clearly world class driver, handles not leading from the front. Looking forward to tests drivers face is different from questioning their ability.

I guess the two "questions" about Vettel are:

1. Can he overtake?
He's proven that with his pass on Alonso in Monza last season and with the one on Rosberg last week in Australia. If you are in a top car you just don't have to overtake as much as when you are in a Sauber or whatever midfield car.

2. Can he deliver a good performance in a car which is not the best?

Undoubtedly yes, apart from that minor achievement in Monza 2008 he has proven last week that he can do very well in these situations. He finished 2nd in Australia last week and he qualified 5th today on the harder tyres, which is something quite astonishing.

Oh come on. Two overtaking moves which are noteworthy in his entire career. A win in Monza in the fastest car on the day - debatable with McLaren, but Lewis was in a different race at the back. 2nd in Australia last week where he only had to overtake one car on track which was a Mercedes that couldnt hold it's tyres together.

Hardly conclusive.

Happy Birthday Brogan. :D

To move away from Vettel-Webber, does anyone know if pole is on the inside or outside?

What I want to know is if the prime tyre mean Vettel will be slower off the line

Good question. I think once we get going, the speed difference between the tyres will be negligible. It is just how long Vettel can run which will be interesting and whether him and Mark will get stuck behind Michael. Hadn't though of the effect on the start though...

I'm kinda hoping the primes are harder to warm up on the warm up lap and being harder and cooler give less grip away from the line, and with the long run to turn1 perhaps Grosjean or Rosberg can get a better start and slipstream past him

Michael Schumacher is a fast starter as well so look out Button and Hamilton off the start, I reckon he could lead into the first corner

That was the my first thought. I think if both Mclaren's stay ahead, they will be gone and hopefully Schumacher will hold up the Red Bulls. Having a slower Merc in front of you is a nightmare, I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom