Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

Am I the only one here who's quite happy with the qualie results? Glad Perez is okay, the boy was doing well until he binned it. Good to see Williams in the top 10 and OMG Schumie out qualified Nico - chalk one up for the old timer.

Nope I think its a nice mixed up grid. Vettel knows he has to get into that first corner first and get a shift on because he knows Button is probably potentially doing one less pitstop than him and if he gets stuck behind him then he's had it. Combine that with the fact he's going to have to be constantly checking on what Hamilton is doing as he charges through the field unseen and Seb has a lot to think about. I also wouldn't rule out Alonso as that Ferrari is a lot quicker in race pace and Fernadno has been on it this weekend. Add on top of that his team-mate and then throw a quick looking Schumi into the mix and I think Mr Vettel has a lot more to worry about and try to figure out tactics wise than he's had for any other race this season.

he knows Button is probably potentially doing one less pitstop than him

I think this could be the key factor for tomorrows race.

If Button can do a 2 stop race with his racecraft and lack of opportunity to pass at Monaco I think we could see his 1st win of the season.

I don't think it's been discussed, but what happened to Renault?

They were mighty here last year and this is the first time they haven't made Q3 this year.

I don't think it's been discussed, but what happened to Renault?

They were mighty here last year and this is the first time they haven't made Q3 this year.

Well I don't think other team brought lots of updates here, so I think you might just have to lay the blame of the drivers.

It's weird, they have been off the pace all weekend. What surprised me was how anonymous Heidfeld was, that was a shock.

As no one has mentioned it, Button set his time on a the first hot lap of a 4 lap run, so there was plenty of spare time in the car. I reckon the McLaren had enough to be faster than the red bull for a change..

JB has been very much overlooked in all these discussions and must be on for a podium at the very, very least (assuming McLaren remember to open the side pods this year).

Yeah, am hoping he can jump Vettel at the start so we can start to have a season that doesn't remind me of 2004..

I was left so frustrated after qualifying today. For the first time this season it really seemed like we could have someone other than a Red Bull on pole and then Lewis had the Q3 session from hell. And now Man Utd have gone and got thrahsed by Barcelona too.

Hopefully Jenson can challenge Vettel tomorrow but it's starting to look like he might as well book a holiday in August because he'll have the title wrapped up by then. On the positive note, McLaren do seem to be closing the gap.

P.S. I've finally stopped being a ClipTheApex stalker and written my first post :D

Welcome Sushifiesta, hope you enjoy the site. Looking forward to the race tomorrow, it is at least getting closer at the front.

What is Lewis looking at, naughty boy.

_53043224_buttonhamilton464.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom