Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

Sorry, the relevant bits of rules are here:
b) If more than one driver fails to set a time during Q1, Q2 or Q3 they will be arranged in the following
order :
i) any driver who attempted to set a qualifying time by starting a flying lap ;
ii) any driver who failed to start a flying lap ;
iii) any driver who failed to leave the pits during the period.

and

e) At the start of the race each car which took part in Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which the
driver set his grid time. This will only be necessary if dry-weather tyres were used to set the grid time
and if dry-weather are used at the start of the race.
Any such tyres damaged during Q3 will be inspected by the FIA technical delegate who will decide, at
his absolute discretion, whether any may be replaced and, if so, which tyres they should be replaced
with.

So, if they decide that bi) implies that the tyres that Hamilton used for his first run are implicitly the tyres he set his time with, I don't know!!!!

His Q2 time with the softs was just 0.278 seconds slower than Jenson's Q3 time on the super softs...
I'm not sure how that will translate over 10+ laps though.

I think you might have missed the bit earlier Bro about Jenson not being on fumes when he set his time, so think you can add at least 4-5/10ths to this..

It says in e he must be fitted with the tyres "he sets his time" on and in b it says "failure to set a time" the grid will be organised in this order.

I read that as him not setting a time, being organised behind Perez for being the second one of them to start a lap, and having choice of tyres for not setting a time?

He set a time and was blocked during the run but the time was still valid. Those tyres were then still been used for his next flying lap which was cut short.

I read that as him not setting a time, being organised behind Perez for being the second one of them to start a lap, and having choice of tyres for not setting a time?

I think that it's further complicated, because the timing system does record some lap times for Hamilton - and the rules don't preclude qualifying laps finishing in the pitlane... (As far as I can tell anyway)....

From what I've read here, I'd say that it probably means that Hamilton will have to use the tyres he set his grid time on, which would be his Q2 time.
Or not.

What is Lewis looking at, naughty boy.

_53043224_buttonhamilton464.jpg
I see 2 things he's looking at really:
First he's wondering why she's not holding a helmet, and once he's realised she's from the female origin and has not so much to hide, he's then wondering if Button(pun intended)is holding his helmet higher because he hasn't got so much to hide either,or that he's simply excited for standing next to a big girl in an SM outfit.

Surely this is one for the caption competition? Let me :thinking:..... ah yes "Jens' seems to prefer doinkin' that helmet. Methinks, she would be so much more receptive".8-)

From what I've read here, I'd say that it probably means that Hamilton will have to use the tyres he set his grid time on, which would be his Q2 time.
Or not.

I think we can rule that one out. It'd be nice for somebody from F1 to come out and clarify. From what i've read from Journalist websites on twitter, it looks like he has the choice, but we will have to wait and see.

I'd be really surprised if he has run on tyres for which the lap time was deleted. As far as i'm aware, Lewis set no other lap in Q3. He aborted his one where Massa blocked him and went into the pits.

If you watch the highlights video from 7:49 onwards you will see no time from Hamilton has been set when he is blocked by Massa, then the session is officially red flagged at 8:56 in the video and Hamilton either goes into the pits, or doesn't have his time counted because of the red flag. Either way, he doesn't set any time in the session.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13585447.stm

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2011/855/

As you can see from the official F1 website, Hamilton is listed as having set "no time" in Q3.

End of discussion.

The 'Massa' lap actually turned out to be an 'in' lap...and the lap he did originally set his 'timed' lap on was invalidated because of chicane-cutting

Ergo, Hamilton can chose what ever tyre he wants to start the Grand Prix.

End of.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2011/855/

As you can see from the official F1 website, Hamilton is listed as having set "no time" in Q3.

End of discussion.

The 'Massa' lap actually turned out to be an 'in' lap...and the lap he did originally set his 'timed' lap on was invalidated because of chicane-cutting

Ergo, Hamilton can chose what ever tyre he wants to start the Grand Prix.

End of.

That's very brave Ray.... Personally, I'd say there's enough ambiguity in the rules to allow the stewards to allow anything!!! Personally, I'd await an announcement rather than stating that anything is set in stone!

Ha. Are we swarming with ex-606's now? I hope we don't split into two tribes and have a civil war over the forum. :dunno:

I'd have to agree that Lewis should get to pick his tyres. What he will go for is another question. Softs i hope. :D

I really can't wait for tomorrow. Everyone was so downbeat after Quali because it went Vettel's way again, but i really can see anything happening tomorrow and probably for the first time at Monaco. Anything but a Vettel win would be a good result for the championship. I'm hoping that Mclaren's race pace surprises a few and Lewis could get up to, dare i say, a podium. Setting the bar high, but if he is smart with the strategy and his usual aggressive self, i don't think we can count it out, even at Monaco.

Strategy will be the most interesting thing and particularly reactions to the "inevitable" safety cars - which could be a free pit stop if played right. That is why if i was out there i'd consider 3 stops. By being out of sync with the other drivers, it gives more chance of moving way up the grid it a safety car comes at an inconvenient time for everyone else. For Lewis, i think he has to start on softs. No one from behind will have a chance of overtaking him and then any safety cars will cancel out the gap made by the super soft guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom