Grand Prix 2011 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Thought this might be useful if you wanted to sing along to the Canadian National Anthem before the start of the race.

Anyway, on to the Grand Prix, after all that’s what we’re here for. Last year Bridgestone provided tyres, which didn’t like the surface at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve too much, and the powers that be in F1 thought “ah, ha here’s an idea to spice up the racing. Why don’t we ask those blokes at Pirelli if they can make sets of boots for F1 cars that fall apart on the warm up lap”, and they did.

In 2010 Hamilton put his car on pole (you may recall him pushing his car back to the pits, so light was it on fuel) and then went on to win an exciting race with teammate Jenson Button standing on the 2nd step.

So what for Canada 2011? Red Bull, at least car No.1, has been a tad difficult to beat but McLaren and Ferrari are getting closer during the race. With 5 wins out of 6 races Vettel has a healthy lead in the Championship and some bookmakers are already paying out on the title being his. Vettel was 3rd on the grid last year, behind teammate Webber, and finished 4th with unspecified gearbox problems, still ahead of Webber who had led for many laps but got caught out by the high tyre wear rate.

Fernando Alonso was 3rd last time out in Canada after getting mugged by a hard charging Jenson Button. Mercedes had a mixed race, Rosberg was “best of the rest” behind the McLaren’s, Alonso’s Ferrari and the Red Bull’s whilst Michael Schumacher treated the race like a destruction derby, straight lining chicanes and bouncing off other cars with gay abandon. What of Felipe Massa I hear you ask; well, he was one of Schumacher’s victims and lost time pitting for a new nose cone.

This is very nearly the last Hurrah for the exhaust blown diffuser and we have two, yes 2, DRS zones. So expect cars breezing past another before and after the pits, when they’re not in their getting new tyres of course.

Will it be another Red Bull walk over or can the McLaren’s and Ferrari’s tame the charging Bull? How will the Pirelli tyres hold up dusty and bumpy Ille Notre-Dame Circuit? Will it rain? Who will win? Can one of the minor teams struggle up into the points? I don’t know but I get the feeling there will be lots of speculation.

And we have our own track side reporter this year - take a bow Ray in Toronto and make sure you post some good photos

For Galahad’s excellent circuit write up, track history and all the stats a boy or girl could want click here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-gilles-villeneuve/

I thought it was a terrible race.

Yes the last few laps were interesting but it was farcical for most of it.
Quit being misreable.

Not worth the wait but that gave us what we should have had in Monaco. Mclarens were very dodgy in wheel-tto-wheel. And so close for Schumi., hopefully next time

It is incredible that despite this "wacky race", 3 of the top 5 in the world championship made the podium and the other 2 only weren't because of DNFs.

Quit being misreable.

Not worth the wait but that gave us what we should have had in Monaco. Mclarens were very dodgy in wheel-tto-wheel. And so close for Schumi., hopefully next time

That is what i thought. Definitely made up for Monaco.

Jenson said he's apologised to Hamilton for the incident. This seems to be some form of admission of guilt. But not to piss on his parade, he looked tearful in the press call and overall he should be very proud of his efforts. Very well deserved, race incidents notwithstanding.

If there is no Forum after the coverage where is the best place to keep a track on the pending steward decisions? I don't think I can sleep until I find out what happens.

Hats off to HRT who managed to finish their cars 13th and 14th, the best of the new teams.

:1st: (well you don't have an icon for 13th!)

Do we reckon Seb feels this was actually a big win today. Hamilton and Alonso are his biggest threats if they sort their cars out, and both fail to pick up points. :o

I hope they felt slightly embarrassed that when they finally let it go everyone pitted for intermediates. What is the point of the full wet tyre if we aren't even going to race when it is fully wet.

Agree. The race directors were ultra conservative.

Well we're not going to know the final result for several hours, which only adds to the farce as far as I'm concerned.

The stewards had ample time to investigate the Button Hamilton and Button Alonso incidents.

I agree. It was farcical with a great ending (which had nothing to do with the race stewards. The Race Stewards did their very best to ruin the event.

Jenson said he's apologised to Hamilton for the incident. This seems to be some form of admission of guilt. But not to piss on his parade, he looked tearful in the press call and overall he should be very proud of his efforts. Very well deserved, race incidents notwithstanding.

THis is not an admissin of guilt, it is a "appologise as it makes life easier later on".

If you live or have lived with a woman, you would understand this.. :D

Does anyone feel slightly for Lewis? He always seems to be on wrong end of everything. He was so quick today in the first 20 odd laps. Was this his race to win? :(

I seem to recall everyone was saying how ridiculous it was up until the last laps.

I can post the chat log if you like...
I was one of them, but its quickly forgotten after the action commences. I cant enjoy a race if Im annoyed about somthing. In hindsight lighten up a little may have been more appropriate words.

Does anyone feel slightly for Lewis? He always seems to be on wrong end of everything. He was so quick today in the first 20 odd laps. Was this his race to win? :(

It was a 70% Button 30 % Lewis fault then....I did after watching 3-4 replays and discussions feel that Lewis got shoved but could have aborted though.

Back
Top Bottom