Grand Prix 2011 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter FB
  • Start date Start date
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Thought this might be useful if you wanted to sing along to the Canadian National Anthem before the start of the race.

Anyway, on to the Grand Prix, after all that’s what we’re here for. Last year Bridgestone provided tyres, which didn’t like the surface at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve too much, and the powers that be in F1 thought “ah, ha here’s an idea to spice up the racing. Why don’t we ask those blokes at Pirelli if they can make sets of boots for F1 cars that fall apart on the warm up lap”, and they did.

In 2010 Hamilton put his car on pole (you may recall him pushing his car back to the pits, so light was it on fuel) and then went on to win an exciting race with teammate Jenson Button standing on the 2nd step.

So what for Canada 2011? Red Bull, at least car No.1, has been a tad difficult to beat but McLaren and Ferrari are getting closer during the race. With 5 wins out of 6 races Vettel has a healthy lead in the Championship and some bookmakers are already paying out on the title being his. Vettel was 3rd on the grid last year, behind teammate Webber, and finished 4th with unspecified gearbox problems, still ahead of Webber who had led for many laps but got caught out by the high tyre wear rate.

Fernando Alonso was 3rd last time out in Canada after getting mugged by a hard charging Jenson Button. Mercedes had a mixed race, Rosberg was “best of the rest” behind the McLaren’s, Alonso’s Ferrari and the Red Bull’s whilst Michael Schumacher treated the race like a destruction derby, straight lining chicanes and bouncing off other cars with gay abandon. What of Felipe Massa I hear you ask; well, he was one of Schumacher’s victims and lost time pitting for a new nose cone.

This is very nearly the last Hurrah for the exhaust blown diffuser and we have two, yes 2, DRS zones. So expect cars breezing past another before and after the pits, when they’re not in their getting new tyres of course.

Will it be another Red Bull walk over or can the McLaren’s and Ferrari’s tame the charging Bull? How will the Pirelli tyres hold up dusty and bumpy Ille Notre-Dame Circuit? Will it rain? Who will win? Can one of the minor teams struggle up into the points? I don’t know but I get the feeling there will be lots of speculation.

And we have our own track side reporter this year - take a bow Ray in Toronto and make sure you post some good photos

For Galahad’s excellent circuit write up, track history and all the stats a boy or girl could want click here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-gilles-villeneuve/

This issue is far from black and white - 6 of one and half a dozen of another, if we could avoid personal insults that would be appreciated.

"Quintessentially, post: 56419"We now know this was not the case.

That's a little disingenuous. The best we can say is that Button knew that Hamilton was behind him. (Even that's a little strong).

We do know that Button stopped looking in his mirror before Hamilton committed to the left hand side of the track!

We do know that Button stopped looking in his mirror before Hamilton committed to the left hand side of the track!
- w

And why would he still be looking in his mirrors? Hamiton was no longer there but nearly beside him. As I said the argument comes down to one thing - whether or not Jenson saw Hamilton and this was the defensive line Whitmarsh used when defending Jenson - that he did not see Hamilton. If you believe he did not see Hamilton to the extent that he effectively shoved him into the wall, then we will have to agree to disagree. As I've said with the Webber incident, Hamilton was fully at fault so I don't think anyone can accuse me of delusions of granduer. Anyway the race is back on and I'll leave it here.

"I would put it this way, the number of times Lewis gets involved in incidents cannot be considered a coincidence any more."
Jenson makes contact with Alonso and takes him out, second one of the day, is this now what you would call 'not considered coincidence' ?

So the Button Alonso incident then.

Racing incident, Alonso's fault, or Buttons' fault?

Be interesting to see what everyone thinks considering how much has been posted about the Hamilton Button incident.

So the Button Alonso incident then.

Racing incident, Alonso's fault, or Buttons' fault?

Be interesting to see what everyone thinks considering how much has been posted about the Hamilton Button incident.

Until they show it from more camera angles, it is impossible to say as Jenson was ahead before the corner.

Extraordinary race. Wow! Wow! Wow! Never seen a race like that. What a victory for Jens. Lewis must be sitting there thinking where would i be if i had just driven the race instead of trying to overtake. Ironic really.

These new rules just seem to have come together into this incredible formula where anything can happen. Jenson came through the whole field there didn't he. Then Massa out dragging Koby to the line.

Finally Seb made a mistake! He is human!

Back
Top Bottom