Grand Prix 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Perhaps fortunately for F1 in the wake of the German GP, instead of the controversy rumbling on, thoughts can now turn to this weekends Hungarian GP. A traditionally slow track with extremely difficult overtaking opportunities it's fair to say that straight line speed won't be top of the requirements list this weekend. F-ducts are not likely to be of much use and neither will flexible wings so it's a chance for some of the teams, Renault and Mercedes for example to claw back some of the difference.

Having now seen Ferrari back among the RBRs and McLaren's, will they be able to carry that forward into this race? If their car works here then they are certainly going to be force to be reckoned with for the remainder of the season. McLaren still need plenty of running time to sort their blown diffuser so a trouble free Friday could give them the time they need. There will have been a lot of head scratching going on at Woking and the need to get the car sorted is becoming more urgent now that there are three teams in the hunt again.

As I said at the top, Mercedes and Renault will be looking to have a good weekend here because the differences in straight line speed won't be so obvious. The Renaults ran especially well at Monaco and all though Kubica is on record in an interview with Autosport saying that he doesn't expect a repeat however they can't be ruled out.

Williams had a disappointing Hockenheim after showing real progress at the previous two races and will be looking to keep the pressure on here. Along with Force India and Sauber, they should be fighting for points the whole weekend. Kobyashi is now consistently showing the speed that made him such a hot prospect last year while his team mate has yet to score. Force India have fallen away after a promising start to the season and for them Hockenheim was a comedy of errors so they need a good result here.

STR continue to show inconsistent levels of performance with a car that does have some speed in the race however in qualifying they are getting closer and closer to being the first established team to be out qualified by one of the new boys.

Finally, the new three could and should be a lot closer to the established teams here. They will be running a lot of wing however, because there isn't the requirement for maximum straight line speed the gaps of 3 or 4 seconds seen at the last couple of high speed circuits should be back to a more reasonable 1 or 2 seconds. Virgin seem to have finally got their car sorted and Glock had a really strong showing in Germany so I expect Virgin and Lotus to be fighting it out among themselves. Yamamoto is once again subbing for Chandhok in the HRT and you can only see both of the grey cars bringing up the rear.

Qualification is all important at Hungary so McLaren really need to turn around their recent poor run. A good Saturday is vital for a good Sunday at Hungary so don't expect to much movement on race day.

Re: 2010 Hungarian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

slickskid said:
it's more a case of the car just doesn't suit the circuit

Chassis Records at Hungaroring (since 2000)
McLaren20171st (5)98215.15
Ferrari19181st (3)93214.37
[td]Chassis[/td][td]Starts[/td][td]Finishes[/td][td]Best result[/td][td]Points[/td][td]Retirements - Mech[/td][td]Retirements - Acc[/td][td]Average grid pos.[/td]

Engine Records at Hungaroring (since 2000)
Mercedes-Benz24201st (5)100316.5
Ferrari45331st (3)998510.16
[td]Engine[/td][td]Starts[/td][td]Finishes[/td][td]Best result[/td][td]Points[/td][td]Retirements - Mech[/td][td]Retirements - Acc[/td][td]Average grid pos.[/td]
http://cliptheapex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1951

I don't think it's accurate to say the car doesn't suit the circuit.
More like this car doesn't, i.e. the one with the EBD.

Since they bolted the EBD on at Silverstone the car just hasn't looked right with low fuel.

I think thats a fairly accurate assessment of McLaren.
Renaul seem to have finally got their EBD working with effect, but it is noticeable that Renault turn up at every meeting with revision 247b of their front wing.
Which as far as I am aware is not a flexi wing.

Brogan said:

And Lewis was 11th. They must have been running different setups this morning.

If McLaren go for higher top speed, I think they must be gambling that their drivers can make up several positions on Laps 1 and 2, and then defend their positions from there.

1.2 second gap from pole to the first non Red Bull car.

Red Bull mechanics sanding down the bottom edge of the front wings due to them scraping on the ground.

Apparently the teams have asked the FIA for official clarification due to the FIA's reluctance to do so pro-actively.

You have to wonder why the FIA are being so obstinate in the face of so much evidence.

I am really puzzled by this.
It might sound a fit far fetched, but I wonder if the wing is warping in a different plane.Not across its lenght but across its breadth.
ie the leading edge is lowering, and the trailing edge remains rigid.Such a configuration if possible would pass the the current deflection tests.
Whether it would be of benefit I have no idea.

sportsman said:
I am really puzzled by this.
It might sound a fit far fetched, but I wonder if the wing is warping in a different plane.Not across its lenght but across its breadth.
ie the leading edge is lowering, and the trailing edge remains rigid.Such a configuration if possible would pass the the current deflection tests.
Whether it would be of benefit I have no idea.

I believe it is doing both. It's just the front corner of the endplates that are touching the ground.

As many people have already said, the teams need clarification on this, because if all the teams starting flexing their front wings it could get ugly.

So tomorrow is going to be all about the 3rd step on the podium and with Ferrari having 0.5 second advantage over McLaren then it will be between Alonso and Massa.

So Alonso then.

To me, the most surprising thing is the lack of pace shown by Button and Schuey relative to their teammates. I am also disappointed that Williams isn't showing better. I think that their performance, or lack thereof, has to be put down to the Cosworth engine. They need to be allowed to upgrade those engines to give their users a realistic chance of being competitive.

5 penalties handed out, although 4 of them just resulted in reprimands.

Sakon Yamamoto, Timo Glock, Lucas di Grassi and Vitaly Petrov were reprimanded for failing to stay above the minimum lap time when the safety car was deployed in Q1

Kamui Kobayashi was demoted 5 grid places for failing to stop for weighing at the end of Q1

Anthony Davidson had this to say after qualifying today:

Ant said:
"Jenson complaining about lack of grip in qualifying this season is becoming like a broken record!"

"...his team-mate is managing to find a way of driving round the problem. Jenson has to knuckle down and try and find that extra grip, perhaps by being more aggressive in his style of driving!"

Brogan said:

Sakon Yamamoto, Timo Glock, Lucas di Grassi and Vitaly Petrov were reprimanded for failing to stay above the minimum lap time when the safety car was deployed in Q1

Kamui Kobayashi was demoted 5 grid places for failing to stop for weighing at the end of Q1

Interesting, does this mean Button starts 10th but also gets to choose his tyres?

Succumb to the wisdom of Anthony Davidson :1st:

Edit : Oh I see the practice procedure.

It was a reprimand not a penalty!

Bullfrog said:
Brogan said:

Interesting, does this mean Button starts 10th but also gets to choose his tyres?

No, because Kobayashi crashed in Q1 and only qualified 18th.

zakazano said:
No, because Kobayashi crashed in Q1 and only qualified 18th.
Kobayashi didn't crash.
He qualified 18th but was demoted 5 grid places to 23rd for failing to stop for scrutineering when he entered the pit lane.

Did I miss the Safety Car being deployed in Q1 or something? I don't seem to remember that...

Another parade.
When is the brainiac brigade gonna do the right thing and get rid of passive wings, diffusers and shit tracks ?!

If you hate it, dont watch it then, simple

Back
Top Bottom