Grand Prix 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Perhaps fortunately for F1 in the wake of the German GP, instead of the controversy rumbling on, thoughts can now turn to this weekends Hungarian GP. A traditionally slow track with extremely difficult overtaking opportunities it's fair to say that straight line speed won't be top of the requirements list this weekend. F-ducts are not likely to be of much use and neither will flexible wings so it's a chance for some of the teams, Renault and Mercedes for example to claw back some of the difference.

Having now seen Ferrari back among the RBRs and McLaren's, will they be able to carry that forward into this race? If their car works here then they are certainly going to be force to be reckoned with for the remainder of the season. McLaren still need plenty of running time to sort their blown diffuser so a trouble free Friday could give them the time they need. There will have been a lot of head scratching going on at Woking and the need to get the car sorted is becoming more urgent now that there are three teams in the hunt again.

As I said at the top, Mercedes and Renault will be looking to have a good weekend here because the differences in straight line speed won't be so obvious. The Renaults ran especially well at Monaco and all though Kubica is on record in an interview with Autosport saying that he doesn't expect a repeat however they can't be ruled out.

Williams had a disappointing Hockenheim after showing real progress at the previous two races and will be looking to keep the pressure on here. Along with Force India and Sauber, they should be fighting for points the whole weekend. Kobyashi is now consistently showing the speed that made him such a hot prospect last year while his team mate has yet to score. Force India have fallen away after a promising start to the season and for them Hockenheim was a comedy of errors so they need a good result here.

STR continue to show inconsistent levels of performance with a car that does have some speed in the race however in qualifying they are getting closer and closer to being the first established team to be out qualified by one of the new boys.

Finally, the new three could and should be a lot closer to the established teams here. They will be running a lot of wing however, because there isn't the requirement for maximum straight line speed the gaps of 3 or 4 seconds seen at the last couple of high speed circuits should be back to a more reasonable 1 or 2 seconds. Virgin seem to have finally got their car sorted and Glock had a really strong showing in Germany so I expect Virgin and Lotus to be fighting it out among themselves. Yamamoto is once again subbing for Chandhok in the HRT and you can only see both of the grey cars bringing up the rear.

Qualification is all important at Hungary so McLaren really need to turn around their recent poor run. A good Saturday is vital for a good Sunday at Hungary so don't expect to much movement on race day.

Re: 2010 Hungarian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Those charts are good aren't they?

Wouldn't it be great for example if they were linked to all the data in the database for every race going back to 1950... :whistle: ;)

By the way, Bro,

Does your latest avatar indicate that you are just hanging on by the skin of your teeth? LOL

siffert_fan said:
Does your latest avatar indicate that you are just hanging on by the skin of your teeth? LOL
I'm glad someone noticed :D
To say that the work to do on the site is piling up is an understatement

Bro,

That's what you get for having such a great site!

:thumbsup:

ATL11 said:
What chart?
The one linked to the post 6 posts before yours.

(BTW, site admin, why don't you assign numbers to your thread posts? Sorry, that'd just be one more thing you don't have time to do!)

Wee Scot said:
(BTW, site admin, why don't you assign numbers to your thread posts? Sorry, that'd just be one more thing you don't have time to do!)
Done ;)

It's top left hand corner between the
icon_post_target.png
and "Posted by..."

Brogan said:
Those charts are good aren't they?

Wouldn't it be great for example if they were linked to all the data in the database for every race going back to 1950... :whistle: ;)
Hi, i'm liked statistics overtakes on your site, very good job. So here I am :) .
I have charts only 2010 season, but it's really for every race going back to 1950. For this needed table chart (xls,csv,html) or pdf from FIA

One has to question why he hasn't been disqualified from the race and a more stern punishment handed out for the next race.

The race steward said he would have been disqualified but there wasnt enough time for all the evidence and an agreement.

I think FB's point is if the incident was good enought to warrant being disqualified and the only reason he wasn't was due to a lack of time, why was he just given a 10 place grid drop at the next race?

Why not DSQ him after the event anyway?

They could, and should, have given him a one-race ban for Spa.

It infuriates me when this sort of driving is not properly punished at the top level, because it seeps down into every tier of the sport. Even if they'd both gone into the wall they'd most likely have hopped out unscathed, but that isn't the case in a Formula Ford or Formula Renault, and the driving standards seen in those series are, sadly, increasingly similar to those displayed by Schumacher.

On a not-entirely-unrelated point, Superleague Formula driver Chris van der Drift is currently in hospital nursing a broken ankle, two broken ribs, a cracked shoulder blade, a dislocated shoulder and two broken fingers having been ushered onto the grass at 150mph at Brands on Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXkTFocu ... re=related

Ouch!

Glad to hear it's nothing more serious, as bad as it is.

That is an absolutely awful crash from Olympiacos . Glad that the guy is OK!

On Superleague, who is benefitting from the whole thing. The football clubs or the teams or the drivers? It is just patently ridiculous to see football clubs lending their names to cars and having nothing to do with it. I'm sure AC Milan have nothing to gain - but I can see why Liverpool would want to win any trophy!

Back
Top Bottom