Grand Prix 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Perhaps fortunately for F1 in the wake of the German GP, instead of the controversy rumbling on, thoughts can now turn to this weekends Hungarian GP. A traditionally slow track with extremely difficult overtaking opportunities it's fair to say that straight line speed won't be top of the requirements list this weekend. F-ducts are not likely to be of much use and neither will flexible wings so it's a chance for some of the teams, Renault and Mercedes for example to claw back some of the difference.

Having now seen Ferrari back among the RBRs and McLaren's, will they be able to carry that forward into this race? If their car works here then they are certainly going to be force to be reckoned with for the remainder of the season. McLaren still need plenty of running time to sort their blown diffuser so a trouble free Friday could give them the time they need. There will have been a lot of head scratching going on at Woking and the need to get the car sorted is becoming more urgent now that there are three teams in the hunt again.

As I said at the top, Mercedes and Renault will be looking to have a good weekend here because the differences in straight line speed won't be so obvious. The Renaults ran especially well at Monaco and all though Kubica is on record in an interview with Autosport saying that he doesn't expect a repeat however they can't be ruled out.

Williams had a disappointing Hockenheim after showing real progress at the previous two races and will be looking to keep the pressure on here. Along with Force India and Sauber, they should be fighting for points the whole weekend. Kobyashi is now consistently showing the speed that made him such a hot prospect last year while his team mate has yet to score. Force India have fallen away after a promising start to the season and for them Hockenheim was a comedy of errors so they need a good result here.

STR continue to show inconsistent levels of performance with a car that does have some speed in the race however in qualifying they are getting closer and closer to being the first established team to be out qualified by one of the new boys.

Finally, the new three could and should be a lot closer to the established teams here. They will be running a lot of wing however, because there isn't the requirement for maximum straight line speed the gaps of 3 or 4 seconds seen at the last couple of high speed circuits should be back to a more reasonable 1 or 2 seconds. Virgin seem to have finally got their car sorted and Glock had a really strong showing in Germany so I expect Virgin and Lotus to be fighting it out among themselves. Yamamoto is once again subbing for Chandhok in the HRT and you can only see both of the grey cars bringing up the rear.

Qualification is all important at Hungary so McLaren really need to turn around their recent poor run. A good Saturday is vital for a good Sunday at Hungary so don't expect to much movement on race day.

Re: 2010 Hungarian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I don't get TV coverage of practice here.
None of the live streams seem to working either.Blogspot no.JustinTV no.Any others you guys know of.

Indeed the McLaren was hardly on track and when it was it looked like a duck on a frozen lake.

Wings at Hungary

MajorDanby said:
Although I do think that it is strange that two members of the factory have come out and said that they don't understand how they are getting it to work. You would imagine that this would be something that they don't won't to admit, rather than coming out in the press with it, twice no least. Anyway, I guess we will see.

You know, i was wondering about this, and thinking maybe it is a tactic... If McLaren cannot get the wing to work legally it could be very well played to blurt to all the worlds media, FIA etc to prompt more investigation...

just a thought...

They can protest the wing if they want to. They have deliberately chosen not to protest it and force the issue and none of the other teams have either, there seems to be some sort of gentleman's agreement.

Was the F-Duct officially challenged by any team?

McLaren seem to be taking a less confrontational approach to things with Martin at the helm... Thats why i think maybe it is a more subtle way of saying, "we can do this, but not within the rules as we understand them right now..."

I've never heard a team, especially McLaren, openly admit to being at a loss as to how a rival achieves something. They would normally say, "we are working very hard on that concept in the factory..." nothing more

Force India it seems haven't got to grips with tyre allocations following on from their german GP woes. They have been fined again today 5,000 euros for using a set of primes on car no.15 driven by Paul Di Reista in FP1 that were specifically allocated for use P3, Qualifying and the race.

Dark skies over and around the Hungaroring.

Unlikely to rain heavily but there could be some rain towards the last half hour of FP2.

Karun sounds like a lovely chap, and possibly too much of a nice guy to be in F1.

It seems to me that McLaren is too conservative and is throwing away the championship. Ferrari is pursuing it with hunger.
One example is the effective use of race weekend practices
Second example is McLaren's unwillingness to use media opportunities to test as Ferrari did
Third example is this overly conservative wing design. They should bend the rules too

Batman said:
It seems to me that McLaren is too conservative and is throwing away the championship. Ferrari is pursuing it with hunger.

To me it seems that the Scuderia have managed to get their blown floor working quicker than McLaren have (coupled with their "illegal" wing) - I don't see it as McLaren sitting on their hands

Batman said:
Second example is McLaren's unwillingness to use media opportunities to test as Ferrari did

That's against the rules and McLaren know what happens if you break the rules (*cough*) unless your car is a sort of scarlet shade of red ;)

Batman said:
Third example is this overly conservative wing design. They should bend the rules too

I think they will desperately trying to, but from the first test, finding out what your rivals have, working out how it works is a lengthy process.

Speshal said:
I think they will desperately trying to, but from the first test, finding out what your rivals have, working out how it works is a lengthy process.
The comment I heard today made by Crofty was that the FIA investigated Red Bull's wing at Australia last year!
So they've been refining it for 18 months - no wonder it's so far ahead of anything else on the grid.

It looks to me as though McLaren seem to have lost their way a bit present.There can be no denying that Ferari have improved quite dramatically and Renault are improving race by race.

I don't thing that Ferarri's bendy wing is the sole reason for their improvement.I think that it part of a smaller series of updates all coming together.
Renault pretty much the same story.McLaren at the moment seem to either treading water or slipping back from their original performance.
Now they are being pressured by Renault and going nowhere themselves.
I wonder if they had thrown their resources into improving the car that they had, as oppossed to trying to copy Red Bulls wing that they might not be in such a poor position.

McLaren's undoing has been the Blown Diffuser. When they put that thing on at Silverstone, Lewis was off the circuit no fewer than 6 times. They poured resources into the EBD, didn't get it on their car until well after some other teams, and then they got a wet Friday at Germany with Hamilton binning it early. McLaren hasn't really sorted out their Exhaust Blown Diffuser completely, and now they've got to worry about a Flexi-Wing.

Luckily for them, they've got two incredibly competent drivers that have been out-performing their machinery.

It looks like the gap is pretty big between Red Bull and everybody else this week, with Ferrari looking second best. But I still expect one or both of the McLaren boys to finish ahead of an RB or Ferrari. Or maybe their run of decent fortune has expired, who knows? That's why we watch.

Q1 won't have any surprises, if its dry (3 new teams + Liuzzi or a Toro Rosso) but if it's wet I'd love to see Alonso or Hamilton start down the back and a surprise on the front (Kubica on pole with Barrichello alongside him)

As I understand it, since testing has been banned the teams have invested very heavily in super computing and fluid dynamics modeling. So all the parts are designed in a virtual wind tunnel. Then they bolt them on the car and see how they run on Friday / Saturday morning.

With the EBD it seems McClaren have just got their sums wrong.

I might be straying off topic a bit here but could this be the future of F1. The teams which manage the transition from the computer modelling to the real world will be the ones where we see the biggest improvements. The key men in the team more away from traditional engineers and aerodynamicists (Is that a word?) and move towards IT geeks.

Ferrari undoubtedly got it right before Silverstone, where suddenly their uncompetitive car was one of fastest. But before that a quick car in Bahrain subsequently went backwards.

I believe Virgin are the first team that dont even use a wind tunnel they rely solely on the computers. Obviously not a ringing endorsement but its always the way with computers they promise alot, deliver a fraction in the short term and deliver the earth in the long term.

Renault and Mercedes ahead of McLaren :o

They need to get rid of that EBD for the next race.

I think thats a bit of an over reaction and it's more a case of the car just doesn't suit the circuit, lets face it it's not to disimilar to how Monaco went for the Mclaren team and that was without the EBD.

But just to highlight how quick the Red bull is through the corners Mark Webber was the slowest through the speed trap!

Back
Top Bottom