Grand Prix 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Perhaps fortunately for F1 in the wake of the German GP, instead of the controversy rumbling on, thoughts can now turn to this weekends Hungarian GP. A traditionally slow track with extremely difficult overtaking opportunities it's fair to say that straight line speed won't be top of the requirements list this weekend. F-ducts are not likely to be of much use and neither will flexible wings so it's a chance for some of the teams, Renault and Mercedes for example to claw back some of the difference.

Having now seen Ferrari back among the RBRs and McLaren's, will they be able to carry that forward into this race? If their car works here then they are certainly going to be force to be reckoned with for the remainder of the season. McLaren still need plenty of running time to sort their blown diffuser so a trouble free Friday could give them the time they need. There will have been a lot of head scratching going on at Woking and the need to get the car sorted is becoming more urgent now that there are three teams in the hunt again.

As I said at the top, Mercedes and Renault will be looking to have a good weekend here because the differences in straight line speed won't be so obvious. The Renaults ran especially well at Monaco and all though Kubica is on record in an interview with Autosport saying that he doesn't expect a repeat however they can't be ruled out.

Williams had a disappointing Hockenheim after showing real progress at the previous two races and will be looking to keep the pressure on here. Along with Force India and Sauber, they should be fighting for points the whole weekend. Kobyashi is now consistently showing the speed that made him such a hot prospect last year while his team mate has yet to score. Force India have fallen away after a promising start to the season and for them Hockenheim was a comedy of errors so they need a good result here.

STR continue to show inconsistent levels of performance with a car that does have some speed in the race however in qualifying they are getting closer and closer to being the first established team to be out qualified by one of the new boys.

Finally, the new three could and should be a lot closer to the established teams here. They will be running a lot of wing however, because there isn't the requirement for maximum straight line speed the gaps of 3 or 4 seconds seen at the last couple of high speed circuits should be back to a more reasonable 1 or 2 seconds. Virgin seem to have finally got their car sorted and Glock had a really strong showing in Germany so I expect Virgin and Lotus to be fighting it out among themselves. Yamamoto is once again subbing for Chandhok in the HRT and you can only see both of the grey cars bringing up the rear.

Qualification is all important at Hungary so McLaren really need to turn around their recent poor run. A good Saturday is vital for a good Sunday at Hungary so don't expect to much movement on race day.

Re: 2010 Hungarian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

When the footage cut to the rearward facing camera on the McLaren which was off the circuit, you just knew it was Lewis.
Really bad luck again, another 15-18 points lost through no fault of his own.

Red Bull and Mark now lead the WCC and WDC - a bad weekend for team McLaren.

Terrific race i thought.

Engine wc updated here, it's the worst result of the season for Mercedes power finishing bottom of the 4 in this race. Engine WC 2010

Disappointing Vettel didn't seem to get a chance to have a go at Alonso though. I thought it was a cracking race (except Lewis going out) up until the halfway point, then it fizzled out like they seem to do so often.

Thought it was a great race for Webber, Petrov and Kobayashi, and a HORRIBLE one for Mercedes! They really screwed the pooch on Rosberg's stop, and Schuey was complaining of spongey brakes early on (again). It is really making it look like last years Brawn performance was a fluke.

Apparently the McLaren team applauded Mark on his win.

I wonder if that was to get a dig at Alonso or Vettel, or both :snigger:

So a 10 place grid penalty for Schumacher at Spa... question is will it really make him rethink his driving methods, seriously i doubt it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the race.It had a bit of everything.Oddly enough the race was made by the SC.
If the safety car had not been deployed the Vettel would simply have disappeared into the sunset.
The SC resulted in Red Bull or Webber making a brilliant strategy call and eventually Webber went on to take a well deserved victory.
Just how the super soft tyre lasted as long as it did with Webber really hammering out constant fast laps is a bit of mystery to me.
Vettel being unable to pass Alonso despite having a much superior car was rather disappointing.It wasn't for lack of will or trying, Vettel has shown before that he will risk vitually anything to pass another car so I can only conclude that he was simply unable to get close enough.
Some great drives amongst the midfielders.As has been mentioned above, both Petrov and Kobayashi in their rookie season putting some sterling efforts.
There were also some very lacklustre drives from the top drivers.Button had a very poor race and seemed either unwilling or unable to make any progress.
Overall a very interesting and absorbing race.Great well deserved victory for Webber and Alonso maintains his steady improvement in WDC rankings.Cruel luck for Hamilton after a terrific effort and he deserved more than a breakdown.
I am a very happy and satisfied bunny.

Ouch..
160273.jpg

Ban schumacher and let heidfeild score some points for Merc.

A splendid time was had by all.

But how can you get things so wrong? I mean, hasn't anyone ever informed Vettel about certain rules? And how come a vibration in your brakes ends up as a gearbox issue?

Oh well. Well done Mark Webber. One fine performance. Although I admit, it's interesting to see how great Red Bull are at wasting opportunities. They made that into a fine art for sure.

And yes, Schumey was disgraceful.

I didn't realise it was quite that close to the wall.

That is seriously dangerous and Schumacher needs to rethink his participation in the sport.

sportsman said:
...the race was made by the SC.
If the safety car had not been deployed the Vettel would simply have disappeared into the sunset.
Exactly
sportsman said:
The SC resulted in Red Bull or Webber making a brilliant strategy call and eventually Webber went on to take a well deserved victory.
Nothing brilliant about it. Lucky! Otherwise, Seb wouldn't have been called in at the very last instant--hopping the pit entrance curb--for his change of tires. What I'd like to know is whether Webber stayed out just to hedge the team's bet on the best tire strategy, or whether his side of the garage actually knew he could do competitive laps for more than half the race on the supersofts!? I can't imagine they did, otherwise they would have done the same with Seb, I should think. No, I think Webber was just lucky, though his ability to continue to carve fast laps on the supersofts was certainly down to his skill.

Is it possible Vettel was trying to be a good RB Team Player by holding up Alonso and the rest at the restart so Mark could gap the field and not fall so far back when he came in for his hard tires? If so, it's a SPECIAL irony that it ended up hurting him! (I'll bet Seb never DREAMED Mark could make the supersofts last so long. Did anyone else who started on the softs try to run them half the race?) Seb will have taken away from this race that he'll NEVER try to think what's best for the TEAM ever again! Got to look out for #1 (or, in this case, #5)

Or was Vettel simply trying to stall Alonso through the last corner so he couldn't get a run on him at the end of the straight, assuming Webber was no longer a threat?

slickskid said:
So a 10 place grid penalty for Schumacher at Spa

If Merc get a race ban for that tyre bouncing down the pits then it could reasonably be at Monza, considering that Renault got a race ban (repealed) for the same thing last year and this one was far more dangerous.

Wee Scot said:
sportsman said:
...the race was made by the SC.
Exactly
sportsman said:
Nothing brilliant about it. Lucky! Otherwise, Seb wouldn't have been called in at the very last instant--hopping the pit entrance curb--for his change of tires. What I'd like to know is whether Webber stayed out just to hedge the team's bet on the best tire strategy, or whether his side of the garage actually knew he could do competitive laps for more than half the race on the supersofts!? I can't imagine they did, otherwise they would have done the same with Seb, I should think. No, I think Webber was just lucky, though his ability to continue to carve fast laps on the supersofts was certainly down to his skill.

Is it possible Vettel was trying to be a good RB Team Player by holding up Alonso and the rest at the restart so Mark could gap the field and not fall so far back when he came in for his hard tires? If so, it's a SPECIAL irony that it ended up hurting him! (I'll bet Seb never DREAMED Mark could make the supersofts last so long. Did anyone else who started on the softs try to run them half the race?) Seb will have taken away from this race that he'll NEVER try to think what's best for the TEAM ever again! Got to look out for #1 (or, in this case, #5)

Or was Vettel simply trying to stall Alonso through the last corner so he couldn't get a run on him at the end of the straight, assuming Webber was no longer a threat?

Hmm thats not how Vettel sees it.At the press conference he had this to say about the restart.

"At the re-start I was sleeping. I was probably relying too much on the radio but somewhere in the first stint I Iost the radio connection and I didn't hear anything. I saw the safety car boards and was waiting for instruction when the safety car would come in. I didn't see the lights. Also Mark, usually the leader when he does the re-start, he tries to drop back and then dictates the pace. Mark was very close and I was warming up my car. I was sure we had another lap, so I didn't really understand. Then I saw Mark and the safety car at the second last corner, quite a big gap to myself. I noticed the safety car going into pits, so that must be the re-start and I was caught out, so I lost a lot of momentum and lost a lot in the first couple of laps which was not the intention"

Source. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85813

Does anyone know if Lewis will have to take a five-place penalty for belgian, as I would guess that the gearbox is in pieces. The McLarens probably will get away with a bad car at spa and Monza, and I hope that the new teams will be closer to the back of the main pack due to the low downforce nature of the circuit.

But once again we have seen how these rule changes are quite bad, and despite being two-seconds a lap faster, rubens nearly put himsel in the wall to get by, and both red bulls found that Alonso's Ferrari was very wide.

As for Vettel's drive-through, it's just silly. The rule and the team/driver not knowing the rules well enough. I can't have much sympathy if the teams don't know the rulebook well enough after all theres a link somewhere on here :)

tooncheesef1 said:
Does anyone know if Lewis will have to take a five-place penalty for belgian, as I would guess that the gearbox is in pieces.
It was the 4th race so he will have a new gearbox for Spa anyway :thumbsup:

sportsman said:
Hmm thats not how Vettel sees it.At the press conference he had this to say about the restart.

"At the re-start I was sleeping. I was probably relying too much on the radio but somewhere in the first stint I Iost the radio connection and I didn't hear anything. I saw the safety car boards and was waiting for instruction when the safety car would come in. I didn't see the lights. Also Mark, usually the leader when he does the re-start, he tries to drop back and then dictates the pace. Mark was very close and I was warming up my car. I was sure we had another lap, so I didn't really understand. Then I saw Mark and the safety car at the second last corner, quite a big gap to myself. I noticed the safety car going into pits, so that must be the re-start and I was caught out, so I lost a lot of momentum and lost a lot in the first couple of laps which was not the intention"

Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't read the quotes yet, so didn't realize Seb just "screwed the pooch." Go Webber!

Still, I'm curious to know whether anyone else "knew" the supersofts would produce competitive times for more than 40 laps!

sportsman said:

Thereby admitting guilt. If he still can't understand why he got the penalty, which was for dropping too far back, he's a muppet. I think he does, but doesn't have the guts to admit he screwed up, the same as Mercedes won't admit that Michael was out of order, despite Brawn inadvertently disagreeing with Michael's version of events.

"I think he knew Rubens was going up the inside and wanted to block that," said Brawn.

Clickety-click

tooncheesef1 said:
... snip ... The McLarens probably will get away with a bad car at spa and Monza, and I hope that the new teams will be closer to the back of the main pack due to the low downforce nature of the circuit.

McLaren should be strong at Spa and Monza, as they were at Montreal. They still have a significant top-speed advantage. Also if the FIA are tightening the rules on flexible wings (as they say they will for Spa) then RBR & Ferrari may have to make some changes to their own wings and lose some downforce advantage.

"RBR & Ferrari may have to make some changes to their own wings and lose some downforce advantage."

Thing is we won't notice until singapore where they will have made up the lost downforce

Back
Top Bottom