Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Button will be affected by the death of his Dad, of course, but why will it affect his driving. When I lost my parents (not together) I was devastated on each occasion. But life carried on. Grieving was private, as I'm sure it will be for JB. Driving is his job.

teabagyokel Is it possible to have a reputation for being young? I know I have a reputation but it's not for being young, anyway to set the record straight for the those of you who think that Lewis only 19 or something he is actually 29 years of age and will soon be heading into the old ****ers are past it bracket (According to some.) of his 30's it certainly will be a day of days when that happens, however I believe that Cliff Richard is only 22 (Although he does have a painting hidden in an attic somewhere crumbling away as we speak.) and thus there is hope for us all....

I will just add, in the 1950s, when cars were much more physical to drive, a certain Juan Manuel Fangio was already in his 40s... and won 5 world championships!!!

Certainly, there really is no reason why a good driver cannot continue until they are about 40 nowadays!

The limiting factor often seems to be fear of the risk, rather than a loss of talent; again it is a truism that when drivers get married and have children, it often takes the edge off their competitiveness, simply because they are being slightly more risk averse!

Last edited:
Oh okay, so it wasn't meant to be a dig. Just like the barny with girlfriend comment wasn't either. You guys seem to be so hacked of with the Button vs Hamilton crap, but the moment something not so positive is said about Button, there are the Hamilton comments again where there is no need.

Coulthard wrote an article, he's the one that started it - it's resulted in debates with really good points made on both sides. How many people have actually called for Buttons retirement if Magnusson convincingly beats him? One? Two? Not many is it.

I made the point that the two people behind Vettel were in the older driver bracket (inc Button in 2011) and had it not been for him older drivers would be winning the WDC. But as new Vettel esque talent comes through (e.g Magnusson) it's likely there is always someone that could scupper the chances and keep it quite difficult.

again it is a truism that when drivers get married and have children, it often takes the edge off their competitiveness, simply because they are being slightly more risk averse!
Again by reiterating that unproven thesis is will not become true.
Name a single driver, who has been affected negatively by such life event. There is no driver who has ever been affected by it. If so you could probably name at least one.

The death of Buttons father might affect him. If it does I do not think it will affect him in a negative way. I think it will give him a boost, to keep pushing to do even better. Why, should it only affect his driving in a negative sense anyway.

Last edited:
Plutus - That's why I said it was a truism! Something assumed to be true - but likely to be unprovable :givemestrength:

However, there have been suggestions that Mika Hakkinen started thinking more about retirement when he had his first child; similarly with Michael Schumacher (although he returned later). It is also something that has been stated by racing drivers themselves; i suspect they may have more idea of what goes on in their heads than you! - For instance, Jochen Mass came out and said that he retired because he started thinking about his children, and what would happen to them if he were killed in an accident.

Certainly, I'd call that prima-facie evidence that F1 drivers may be less willing to take risks when they have children...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-after-fatal-villeneuve-crash/article4107108/

I'm roughly the same age as Button give or take a few months. I'm also a similar build physically. I don't exercise anywhere as near as much as he does but I'm feeling the most healthy and strongest than I have ever done before.

Hitting the mid 30's doesn't mean you're any less sharper or physically able than someone younger than yourself but a lot of it is down to how you condition your body.
Doing triathlons for fun is certainly a good way of keeping your body in peak physical condition.

Plutus - That's why I said it was a truism! Something assumed to be true - but likely to be unprovable :givemestrength:

Thanks for clearing the meaning of the word, I did not know that.

What Mass did is consider his career when he was outside of the cockpit, once a driver is in the cockpit I do not think, that such thoughts spring to mind.
Schumacher for exmaple was awaiting his first child in 1997? and still purposely crashed into Villeneuve in Jerez.

Oh okay, so it wasn't meant to be a dig. Just like the barny with girlfriend comment wasn't either. You guys seem to be so hacked of with the Button vs Hamilton crap, but the moment something not so positive is said about Button, there are the Hamilton comments again where there is no need.

Coulthard wrote an article, he's the one that started it - it's resulted in debates with really good points made on both sides. How many people have actually called for Buttons retirement if Magnusson convincingly beats him? One? Two? Not many is it.

I made the point that the two people behind Vettel were in the older driver bracket (inc Button in 2011) and had it not been for him older drivers would be winning the WDC. But as new Vettel esque talent comes through (e.g Magnusson) it's likely there is always someone that could scupper the chances and keep it quite difficult.

Hamberg what comment about a barney with his GF? And when did I get upset about DC's comments? Please don't lump me into a 'you guys' group. You wouldn't like it if I dumped you into a group with some of our....shall we say...fanatical Hamilton fan posters would you? We all have our own opinions Harold and we are all entitled to them.

As teabagyokel correctly hypothesised I picked Hamilton as an ecample as someone who is still refered to as having plenty of time left in his career.

I should have known mentioning Hamilton's name on the JB thread (or CTA in general) was only going to cause trouble

I wrote an article on Hamilton's career stats compared to others and was his ultimate F1 legacy will be recently but to be honest I'm too scared to post it as if I'm not ripped apart by oneside I'll be burnt at the stake by the other.

Back on topic though. Jenson is only as old as the woman he feels.

Okay point taken - btw, not you about the GF comment.

Incidentally I don't think Hamilton's a spring chicken - middle aged by current standards and once he hits 31 I'd expect him to be in that bracket of 'older' drivers.

It just happens we are talking Button because DC kicked it off, but even then I thought the topic should be more of a 'what if Magnusson....' rather than specifically looking at when a driver is over the hill which is what it has become.

Given the age ranges we have now and with how young drivers are coming in, those 'special' ones will get recognised and snapped up by the bigger teams on a more regular basis and cause more problems for the older experienced lot. The only 'oldie' I thought should retire (from F1) has.

I'm done on it though. Please do post that thread on Hamilton career stats. Just not on the JB thread ;)

You saying pregnant women are ugly meph ;)?

In Jenson's case I can't see being a daddy making much difference either. He's not reckless as it is and the majority of his collisions have been because of others, he can't control what others do therefore why would his driving change.

Back
Top Bottom