Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

I think Alonso thinks Jenson would be a good driver to back him up and I think he might even have said as much and I'm pretty sure JB's sense of humour would mean that he'd be very tempted to go and show Fernando how good he could 'support' him.

If I was Jenson I'd have my manager talking to them because I have a funny feeling that Mclaren realise that they made a mistake not taking Hulkenberg and if Ferrari don't take the Hulk (which I don't think they will because his personality might rock the boat too much) then I think Mclaren will snap.him up and leave one of their drivers in the cold.

By rights that should be Perez but Perez Mexican heritage is a big carrot for some big money which might be very useful for a team losing its title sponsor.

Would be a complete scandal if it happened but I wouldn't be shocked so if I were Button I'd be playing the market a bit even if its to just get them to confirm him quick sharp.

That's exactly what people were saying about him and Hamilton when he joined McLaren.

A truthful statement was made today during qualifying..

"Jenson is a very dangerous man to underestimate."

But Ferrari run a very different ship to McLaren, they will put their support behind the strongest driver, and I'd say thats Alonso. And by being a good back up, I meant that as a compliment, button will bring the points home if he's given a car he's comfortable with.

I wonder if JB gets his Ambassadors role at McLaren he will be introduced as the the driver who led the team through it's worst season of the 21st Century? Then again it could get even worse next year...

One thing I know for certain, Jenson will not sign a contract that states he is the number 2 driver, it just ain't what he's all about, he'd rather not drive at all than do that, and I don't blame him I would rather see him retire than sign up for that shit...

Last edited:
RasputinLives
Depends how you see it but fairplay to Jenson and his team saying they would be willing to drive for less than what Kimi was demanding and test whether Mercedes were really serious or not in keeping him

Kimi supposedly wanted more parity in pay with Lewis as a former world champion but then again when you've just managed to swindle $50m for 3 years from Ferrari anything less looks minute

----

JB said today his future is with Mclaren so I don;t see Ferrari or Red Bull suddenly putting an offer for him then

Well it's not up to Jenson whether he stays at McLaren or not and this looks very similar to the way they handled Lewis's contract situation last year. Knowing McLaren, they could demand a pay cut and Jenson could quite easily find himself without a drive next year if he doesn't get a backup plan together.

Whitmarsh has said he is considering Kimi, and has hinted it will be to partner Button
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26186.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=grandprixdotcom
Which begs the question, why hasn't he taken up Buttons option....it only has days to run. Perez brings in the sponsorship and Button is one of the highest paid drivers and isn't Perez under contract? I know that doesn't mean everything. I somehow can't see Whitmarsh dumping Button after all the support he's given him, but is Whimarsh calling the shots? I personally can't see either of the current drivers leading a McLaren resurgence, but I can see Kimi doing it. Has Whitmarsh been told by the board to sort out the car and the driver situation as a priority and condition to his own staying in role? I don't know. Just some thoughts.

I'll be pretty surprised if McLaren drop either Button or Perez for 2014. Button is pretty embedded in to the team and dropping Perez just one season after deciding to go with him would seem harsh and difficult to justify with the sponsorship situation.

I don't see Raikkonen leading a resurgence in anything other than a good car. His happy-go-lucky style doesn't gel with putting in the long hours needed. If McLaren were to put in a clear improvement by the end of the season then yes, but by then virtually all the driver contracts will be signed and sealed.

Back
Top Bottom