Grand Prix 2018 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by cider_and_toast, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile

As is everything else that’s written on CTA, I can’ think of a single person who’s actually qualified to give us the facts, unless of course we have actual members from each team masquerading as CTA members. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s racecub.
    IMO. :)

racecub likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Depends on the subject, I’m quite the authority on pork pies.

4. Clay

Clay Test Driver

The transcripts aren’t my opinion, but publicly available information that illustrate the situation at hand between the two Red Bull drivers and consequently facts.

5. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    LOL One mans pork pie is another mans poison . Would you and The Pits agree on pork pies on your travels

The Pits and racecub like this.
  6. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    You’d have to ask The Pits . We disagree over hand raising so we don’t discuss pork pies any more.
    Bowyers had to step in at one point.

7. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    LOL

8. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    You wouldn't let it lie, would you.

:clip:

Titch and teabagyokel like this.
  9. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm on The Pits side. I Don't know what the argument is about but if gethinceri is for it then it can't be good.

gethinceri likes this.
  10. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Well as "Russian" to "Russian" got to respond this this now that we know the results ;)

1. Ah no....he got points.
    2. Ah no....he finished second and regained the positions that he lost.
    3. Ah no....did have a not so mysterious problem and Lewis did not win.
    4. Ah no....Actually Verstappen drove a good race. The bump and pass maneuver on Raikonnen was really clever.
    5. Actually, I don't remember any Alonso broadcasts.
    6. Ah no....for a change Vettel did not touch wheels that often.

So.....got any predictions for the U.S. real estate market for the next couple of years.

teabagyokel likes this.
  11. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    5. Alonso said something like "well don't expect me to be driving round at the back for 71 laps."
    Heroic.

12. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Well, I actually found that race interesting from beginning to end. Not a great race, but better than the last two.

1. Verstappen drove a great race...did a nice "bump and pass" maneuver on Raikonnen, had good pace, preserved his tires, etc. It was a very mature drive. It looks like he is back, and when he is, he is pretty damn impressive.
    2. Raikonnen actually looked like he was trying....a lot. Dynamic and exciting on the start and would have won the race if he had not been "bumped" by Verstappen in the race. If this Raikonnen showed up at 21 races a year, I would say Ferrari should continue to employ him.
    3. Vettel. Perfectly capable race, was surprised he did not chase down and pass Raikonnen late in the race.
    4. Grosjean: At last !!!!
    5. Bottas: Great recovery from 4th to 2nd, but it looked like Hamilton had the lead well covered. Cursed again.
    6. Hamilton: Had the race won, team messed it up, but kind of irrelevant as his engine gave out later. As we saw earlier in the season, Ferrari sometimes lasts longer on their tires. His were seriously blistering, condemning him to 4th place (before the engine blew).
    7. Attrition: 3 of the top 6 cars died this day. Suspect that was because of the heat. The temperature at Silverstone could be an issue.
    8. Leclerc: Even after going off the track on the first lap, still looked impressive. He did a lot of nice passes with almost no drama. Very good drive.
    9. Alonso: As always, in the points.
    10. Ocon, Perez and Gasly also continue to impress. Would like to see all these guys in top cars (along with Leclerc and of course, Alonso).
    11. Ricciardo: I would advise him to go to McLaren. I think Verstappen is the #1 driver at Red Bull, and the team is completely behind him. It will become the Vettel-Webber contest again. When Vestappen has his act together, he just looks faster than Ricciardo.
    12. I actually like the 3 races in three weekends. Looking forward to Silverstone.

Galahad and gethinceri like this.
  13. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Yea....I forgot that one. So.....one out of six from Rasputin.

14. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    No. Kimi was 4th at the end of lap 1 so 2 out of 6 :p

I told you I was notoriously bad at predictions. There have been some epic fails. Rosberg will never win a grand Prix springs to mind.

15. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Can I just say that the track is far too short. An F1 circuit where the lap time is close to 65 seconds is just crazy.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  16. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

I agree. I even commented during the race that they needed to expand the track. Needs a couple of more interesting sections.

FB likes this.
  17. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Well, that is the danger of predictions. At least you are brave enough to make them.

18. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Really enjoyed that race couldnt call a winner ever since the bottas vsc. best race since china for me. Fantastic drive from Verstappen. Not sure whether someone has a chat or penny has dropped, he seems to be maturing very good at turn 2 when instead of sticking down the inside of kimi, learning to not win at the 1st corner let race come to him.

i was shocked at the reliability & partically Mercedes. Because Mercedes are usually bulletproof. Did 1800+ miles with both cars without a failure to either engine or gearbox til last weekend in France when they finally changed. Lewis had 33 consecutive point finishes. according to crofty it was 7yrs & 3mths ago since the last time both Mercedes DNF at 2011 Australian gp & even other teams confusing with 3 different Manufacturers Renault Mercedes & Honda. Because they have raced in much hotter temperatures than this in Monza Singapore & Malaysia. without reliability it is a mute point but Mercedes haven't learnt their lesson Strategy has always been the Achilles heel of the Mercedes team. because virtual safety car or full safety car, cost them the win in china, as again red bull sharper & beat them then. Even back when they were dominating in 2014 & 2015. That was known but it was rare a team could put them in that situation

great drive from haas drivers. finally got the 4th & 5th they should've had in Australia. Leclerc after his rallying excursions of opening lap another cracking drive 5 consecutive points finishes I believe. You can tell me to shut up. If this is going to be late addition to British gp quiz. But when was the last grand prix the only drivers who werent lapped finished on the podium

also now time to crack on with british thread. which is always late as I work during European races :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  19. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    I would disagree FB because I like the short nature of the circuit because in way it is 1 of the toughest circuits on the calendar. because its 63 seconds for a pole lap. its unrelenting with the high average speed as well, corners come at you all the time. & its a world championship. so you want circuits of all types from spa 1:50 to Austria 1:03 or Monza 75mins to Singapore 2hrs +

20. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives - Have you tried the Jos the Boss prediction strategy?

I hereby predict that Räikkönen beats Vettel, a Merc double DNF, Haas scoring more than 20 points, a great race for Sauber, a VSC strategy call annoying Hamilton and Spain dicking around for two hours then getting knocked out of the World Cup on penalties.

Jos the Boss and RasputinLives like this.
  21. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    *tin foil hat time*

An unusual strategy call, an unusual double retirement and a harsh driver penalty in quali make sure we get an unexpected Red Bull win at their home circuit? Good for the 'show' after a few dull races. Huh? Huh? Who's with me? No one? OK.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice