Grand Prix 2018 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by cider_and_toast, Jun 24, 2018.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    1. Will Bottas and Hamilton be allowed to race? - Yes they normally do. It depends on how well they take the start.

2. How much of challenge will it be for Vettel to pass Grosjean and Verstappen? Quite a challenge but not impossible

3. Will Raikkonnen dutifully pull over for Vettel? No - It will all take place in the pits.

4. Will Grosjean finally score a point? Yes - If the car holds together it shouldn't be a problem going on how well he's gone this weekend so far.

5. Has Leclerec signed a contract for Ferrari? - Who knows? I hope so. Poor Kimi should have moved on a couple of seasons ago.

Can't think of anything else. :D

racecub likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Vettel's 3 place penalty .. I am amazed a team like Ferrari did not warn Vettel , Sainz is on a hot lap and keep off the racing line

I don't know what C4 team were trying to stir the pot that Ferrari are beginning to fade/ Mercedes have got their car sorted out and will be simply too quick from now on .. a hint of deja vu. Apart from not capitalising in the early season , and losing one of their engineers to Sauber, it seems like Paul Ricard and here where Hamilton looked more at one with the car they don't seem to have an answer to respond .

3 tenths clear on a short lap is at least 0.5 seconds a lap on a standard lap time so its ominous for the rest

---------------------
    F1Brits_90 I did not see that coming were Force India's were barely ahead of Williams so the lack of money from their owners halting development looks more serious then first imagined

It gets no better for Mclaren either

4. gethinceri

gethinceri "suck my balls honey" Contributor

Featured Threads:
    It is truly one of the most inspired nicknames in the history of motor racing.

5. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I'm sure he's a lovely boy really.

RasputinLives likes this.
  6. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:

cider_and_toast likes this.
  7. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    By the way if anyone wants to see an amazing motor race then watch the GP2 feature race. Absolutely amazing.

8. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I never get around to watching GP2. I only managed to catch the last race of the day from the last BTCC race. (Can't even remember where it was ?). I don't seem to have enough time in the day anymore.

9. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I haven't bothered watching an F1 race live or in its entirety in a LONG time, since the Mercs have been so dominant that no one else need bother showing up. As far as I know, they have been the most dominant car in racing history, proven by their number of 1-2 finishes.

I have, however, frequently watched complete F2 races, as they are very entertaining, and the driver makes a HUGE difference, unlike in F1.

10. Wombcat

Wombcat Podium Finisher

Not really. It is the most childish though.

11. Angel

Angel Rookie Supporter

This penalty for blocking Sainz is way more harsh than the one last race for the crash at the start of the race which ruined Bottas' race, yet what he did to Sainz was way less in my opinion. I know, penalties are penalties and anyone who did what he did would have got the same thing, but it makes a mockery of things if you ask me.

Oh and I'm with you on the conspiracy theory FB

12. Clay

Clay Learner

This time Ricciardo was in the wrong. According to Horner they alternate on who goes out first at every event, and this time it was Ricciardo’s turn. It does require some explaining as to how Verstappen acted immature yesterday.

13. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I think there’s a little more to it than that. I have to say that was my first thought when I heard the drivers speak afterwards. It was Ricciardo’s turn to go first, end of.

But Ricciardo was on a lower down force setting which left him vulnerable on the straight. He wanted ( and appears to think it was a given he would get, though he admits it wasn’t actually said in black and white) and needed, one shot with a tow.
    That the team ordered Verstappen to overtake Ricciardo backs this up. Verstappen refused to obey that team order.

Its done now, so the easiest thing for Horner to say is, they take it in turns. Which was the line Max took. But I dont think it was that simple, that cut and dry.
    Also, going on past experience, I think Danny is the more honourable of the two. He’s more likely to be the one who plays fair.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  14. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Well, here's Kimi's big chance! ROFL

15. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    oh yeah i have the same problems as dont seem to watch the F2 & BTCC til Wednesday & Thursday sometimes. still got race 2 & 3 3 BTCC on the planner LOL

16. Clay

Clay Learner

No, there’s nothing more to it.

I suppose you mean higher downforce. That’s his choice though, and he’d have known that it was his turn to lead the way this weekend, as Verstappen was the one who left the garage first last week.

Verstappen didn’t ignore team orders. It was his race engineer telling him to pass Ricciardo because he was obviously losing time behind him. Also slowing down for a prolonged period of time also means that the tyres start losing temperature.

It’s not only the easiest thing to say, but also a fact that they’ve been taking it in turns and easily verifiable by looking at all the qualifying sessions this season.

Ricciardo was in the wrong here. Full Stop. I’m not going down the line of who’s more honourable. Ricciardo is all smiles in front of the media, but there have been a few points in the last years we’re hes showed a different side of himself. It’s highly subjective to say he’s more honourable than Verstappen.

Here’s a transcript of the radio messages:
    Run 1
    Turn 3:RIC slows down just before the cornerVER overtakes RIC into the cornerVER:“Why is Daniel swapping?”VER’s engineer:“I don’t know. Carry on.”VER slows downRIC overtakes VERRun 2Out of turn 3:RIC slows down, putting his car in 1st gear, doesn’t pick up the pace, waiting for VER to overtakeVER:“Mate, what are we doing?”Out of turn 4:RIC slows down again putting it in 1st gear again, waiting for VER to overtakeRIC’s engineer:“Come on, mate. You need to pick it up, otherwise we’re not gonna get another lap. Let’s go.VER:“Uhm… I think it’s his turn to go for this Grand Prix. So, tell him to speed up.”RIC (moping):“There’s no point in me running…”RIC’s engineer (interrupts):“Get on with it.”RIC (frustrated, raising voice):“…Punching a hole.”RIC starts to pick up the paceRIC’s engineer:“Get on with it.”RIC:“Let’s at least go one for one.”RIC’s engineer:“You’ll get a go on the next one”Run 3Out of turn 3:RIC:“What’s the margin?”RIC’s engineer:“30 seconds.”RIC, upon being answered, slows down dramatically, waiting for VER to overtake himVER:“GP, what’s going on?”VER’s engineer (worried about getting in a good lap):"Overtake him, mate. Just overtake him. "VER:“No. Last weekend I was in front. Now he’s in front. Come on, man.”RIC starts to pick up the paceVER’s engineer:“Max, overtake him, mate.”VER:“No. It’s discipline.”

17. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    large.vic_bob_handbags.jpg.a80ed0e36b942ce501063c75654d80f5.jpg

18. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    It's NOT childish, so there!
    No returns.

The Pits likes this.
  19. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Clay yes I meant higher downforce.

Okay, they were just my thoughts.

Chasz and Titch like this.
  20. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    OK. Time for some of Raspy's notoriously bad predictions (stand by to rub them in my face teabagyokel):

Grosjean to not score any points

Kimi to lose places on the grid

Bottas to look set for the win but some mysterious problem means he slows and Lewis wins

Thestrappon to get driver of the day for a podium but not really do anything impressive despite the accolades.

Alonso to say something comical and saving on the radio.

Vettel to be investigated for something.

teabagyokel, Titch and gethinceri like this.
  21. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    Word.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice