• Fernando Alonso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stoffel Vandoorne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Say Below)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's an opportunity for Bottas to prove himself as more than just an 'also-ran'. Ideal scenario is that he is causing trouble for Hammy through seriously fast, aggressive and clean driving, to the point where he nicks a load of races on merit. I don't think that will happen more than a couple of times. He may bag a few more through circumstance, but Hammy's simply too fast and aggressive for him.

The bookies have him coming 4th at 5/1 behind the Bulls. Hammy 5/4. Interestingly Max is rated quicker than Ricciardo at 10/3 and 4/1 respectively. Chuckle.

I think Max is seriously fast, but I'm not sure he' s got the self discipline to hold it together, yet. But he'll get there, I don't think that will happen this season though.

Bill Boddy That bookies don't care who wins is precisely why they are a useful reference. The fact that they add a margin to ensure they profit is also irrelevant when comparing drivers' odds. For example, if a generous bookie thinks Max is more likely to beat Ricciardo over the season, he might offer 10/1 for Max, and 9/1 for Ric. Or a very tight bookie may offer 7/4 and 6/4 respectively. The point is that the gap between the drivers' odds is marginal, regardless of how good the bet is for the punter. Hence bookie's odds represent an unbiased reference. Ok there are some small biases from country to country based on driver nationalities but even that flattens out on the bigger online betting sites.

Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs! Maybe I've missed your point. What could be a clearer way of rating someone than providing odds?

Last edited:
Sure, the odds drift with heavy betting, but it has to be a substantial amount of money for the odds to move more than a tad. And if one bookie is feeling particularly brave in any given situation, he might elect to offer longer odds on a near-favourite, to increase action, and his potential reward. Of course it increases risk too but that's the prerogative of each bookie.

Bookies do rate drivers (Ok driver and car). With numbers, clear as day. Then odds can drift due to market forces. They calculate the odds to create as much action as possible, with a margin at every opportunity. This means offering as much value as they can whilst making money. Their initial rating is unbiased, generally based on a number of expert opinions, and generally turns out to be fairly accurate, given that they are still in business!

Actually I don't think either Alonso's or Raikkonen's management teams were consulted nor cared an awful lot whether they had dekchairs or ice-creams. :)

Really?

Willi Weber was known as "Mr 20 per cent" from his time managing Michael Schumacher. In many fields, especially in pop music, managers frequently take 50% of the take before expenses have been paid. I would not expect that F1 drivers would agree to such punitive terms but would not be at all surprised if 20% were the norm.

Back
Top Bottom