What do you miss from the old days?

From my earliest GP watching days (which aren't that long ago):

Stewart Grand Prix
Paul Stoddart (FOTA would be so much more interesting...)
The A1-ring (for reasons I am at a loss to explain)
The French Grand Prix (*shakes fist*)
Giancarlo Fisichella's one good race per year quota
Kimi Raikkonen
Kimi Raikkonen's interview technique for sure

And many more...

Muddy Talkers voice and excitability
I don't believe my voice has ever been heard in these here parts ;)

As already mentioned by others, I miss things like the variety in chassis/engines/tyres and the fragility of the cars. Watching an 80's Ferrari lead a race often threw up the sweepstake question of which lap is it going to explode into flames?

I was also reminded a couple of weeks back of the old Silverstone, and sitting on the exit of Club, hearing the thrilling sound of the Larrousse-Lola V12 Lambos screaming down the Hangar straight (circa 1989/90), easing off a little through Stowe and then back onto full power before flicking through Club. An awesome sound.

Oh, and - Andrea de Cesaris, for comedy value if nothing else

I also miss the old Hockenheimring, i loved the long straights and the chicanes at the end of them. Loved seeing the cars going 200mph plus down all the three straights, thats possibly why i like Monza so much now is because we don't have the old Hockenheim.

Old Hockenheim
Tyre Wars
Teams being able to chose their own strategies i.e. not having to use both tyre compound and also choosing fuel load
Sparks from titanium skid plates
The red and white Marlboro McLarens and the Blue and white Rothmans Williams
And finally, believe it or not, James Allen. Has to be better than Coulthard? I mean 'Vi-tell'? Kay Ell instead of Kuala Lumpur? White jeans?ROFL

Epic non fatal crashes :snigger: (am I allowed to say that?)
Rubbish reliability, does anyone really want to see 24 cars finish the race?
But most of all, racing in the wet, no matter how treacherous the conditions.
Never forget the reason why the drivers used to earn their millions.

I miss huge 1980's tyres, massive turbo engine explosions, when the real Team Lotus could still win races and ciggerette sponsorship.

Ok, so that last one is not exactly politically correct but it isn't about the adverts for cancer sticks that I miss but the car sponsorship designs that all changed as a result of the tabacco adverts being banned. I know memebers a lot older than I can remember when cars were orange, green or blue but for me a Mclaren will always be red and white and a Lotus never looked better than when it ran in JPS sponsorship.

Yeah Tobacco sponsors.

We had so many good race car liveries, the recent ones: WEST McLaren (my favourite :)) Mild Seven the Renault (another amazing one!) Jordan Benson and Hedges, Marlboro the barcode on the Ferrari...how I miss the barcode :disappointed:

Yeah Tobacco sponsors.

We had so many good race car liveries, the recent ones: WEST McLaren (my favourite :)) Mild Seven the Renault (another amazing one!) Jordan Benson and Hedges, Marlboro the barcode on the Ferrari...how I miss the barcode :disappointed:
Jordan liveries!!! I forgot about them. "Bitten and Hisses", "Buzzin' Hornets" and the snake design. Brilliant designs.

Not sad. Just the truth. I never said that technology was the be all and end all. I look back at some of F1 with interest and some nostalgia, I just don't miss any of it. We have great drivers, great technology and great competition. F1 really isn't missing anything. It carries it's history with it but I wouldn't want it to go backwards or stop moving forwards. Nothing sad about that.

Back
Top Bottom