Vettel's ever changing Helmet designs

I have no problem with the ever changing designs ofr Helmets, and Vettel isn't the only culprit, altough the worst.
With Helmets so difficult to see with the high Headrests, and all the information from modern technology and TV. It just isn't needed nowadays to Tell one driver from another.

Sorry mate, disagree. :)

I watch the races with my two kids, aged 7 and 4. They know one driver from the other by the colour of the helmet. "Lewis is the one with the yellow helmet and Jenson is the other one. Alonso is blue (Singapore confused them) and Webber is blue and yellow. Vettel is the one that changes every race." Massa is really distinctive too and so is Rosberg (yellow obviously works and contrasts really well with Schumacher's red)

I still have to tell them whether its a Red Bull or Toro Rosso though, but the tyre colour thing works really well. Red is fastest, then yellow then white. They get that bit, we had that discussion over breakfast this morning :coffee: .

Yes it's all a bit childish for us "proper fans", but if it works for kids, then it works for the casual fan too, I would think.

I never thought of it like that Jez. I guess I've not been confused by which Red Bull driver is which this year because Vettel is always the one in front! ;)

I do get annoyed by the similar car colour schemes though I have to admit which is why I welcomed the new Renault colour scheme. I agree Toro Rosso need to do something a bit different but my pet hate is the fact the Mclaren is still silver. Merc have their own team now and they are the silver arrows. Mclaren has a history as a team and should use that. Force India run Merc engines and theres not a spot of silver on them so don't tell me the Mclaren's are made too. Why not go back to their traditional Orange? or the glorious red and white?

No problem at all Hammy, interesting discussion :thumbsup:

I can't think of another driver who has changed their helmet design as often as Vettel without reverting back to their original one at some point. Both the Brawn drivers went back to their original colours, rather than the ones coloured in with highlighters, when RB gave them both the push. Schumie only changed once, from his German flag design to Ferrari red and DC had his "Wings for Life" helmet to match his car in his last race (?). Have there been any others?

My view on helmets, in general, is that the camera holder is generally good enough to identify first and second drivers - and quite possibly the reason Schumi is in car #7 and Nico in car #8.

Seb changes his helmet a lot, but it does make each one distinctive. Anyway, you don't need to tell which one Seb's in, you only see it twice per race!

I don't really have a problem with Seb changing his bash hat but to do it every win is a tad excessive, slightly OT but Jenson is to auction his Japanese helmet for the Tsunami victims charity, no doubt some millionaire with part with a tidy sum for this.

button_helmet.jpg

The helmet design, which is inspired by the Japanese flag, carries Jenson’s name and initials in Japanese and the logo of the Save Japan charity

I do get slightly annoyed when they change so very often. I take people's point about the camera colour, but that's quite small and at a distance the helmet presents a much better subject. Most times when I watch a race live the easiest thing to do is identify one driver in a team and then you know if it isn't them then it is the other one!

Seb is a special case as he never really had his own helmet design, it was always prostituted to Red Bull, which makes sense if they were bankrolling his entire junior career. Not having a helmet design that reflects anything of his own personality and history must make it easier for him to chop and change. Other drivers become partly defined by their helmet so are reluctant to change it too often I think.

Back
Top Bottom