Vettel to leave Red Bull?

What about Kobayashi? Do you think maybe Honda would pull some strings and get him a drive as the #2? I cant imagine that Caterham will be around much longer anyways.
I guess the real question is, whats Kamui's ceiling? Is he a driver who can finish in the top 10 on a regular basis with a quality car under him?

Well, I think Mclaren would expect him to do better than a place in the top 10 on a regular basis in a quality car.
Don't think he's on Mclaren/Honda's most wanted list. They want a champion or a champion in the making and neither is Kamui.

Perhaps one has to be braver if driving inferior gear?
My thoughts exactly. Its not as if Sauber or Caterham are the best drives on the grid.
Well, I think Mclaren would expect him to do better than a place in the top 10 on a regular basis in a quality car.
Don't think he's on Mclaren/Honda's most wanted list. They want a champion or a champion in the making and neither is Kamui.
I actually dont think he's on their list either and dont expect them to sign him. I could see him being a test driver for them after Caterham folds though or for some other Honda-powered team if/when Honda eventually starts selling engines to other teams.

I would be very surprised if Kamui was in Hinda plans as he spent most of his career being backed by Toyota.

Honda are going have to be serious for a start coming back to F1 after their last venture was wasted so why would they waste millions ... I am sure Ron Dennis will not accept 2nd rate drivers ...

Vettel to leave Red Bull - he would have to have an Alonso esque bust up with the Red Bull hierarchy to leave the team at the end of this season

The deal with McLaren is, if history is anything to go by, quite a brave move by Honda. In the past they have normally opted for a slow development of the engine as shown by their low key, single car effort in 64, their tie up with Spirit in the early 80's and then their gradual increase in involvement with Mugen in the mid-90's leading to their works deal with BAR.

I would suggest that if they follow this same plan, and wish to avoid another "earth car" disaster, the addition of a high profile driver such as Vettel could do more harm than good. Button on the other hand, is well known to Honda engineers, is popular in Japan and should be helpful in developing the engine.

I can't see Vettel going anywhere next year and I'd take a bet that the McLaren line up will remain the same as well.

I would be very surprised if Kamui was in Hinda plans as he spent most of his career being backed by Toyota.
I still think Honda would love to have F1's current only Japanese driver sitting in front of one of their engines over sitting in front of a Merc or Renault. National pride trumps brand rivalry, although Id honestly be surprise if they signed Kamui because Honda wants to win and win now and they dont have time for drivers that cant put Honda powered cars on the podium.
As much as Im a Kamui fan, he does have problems finishing races and Im all about the best driver that McLaren Honda can get, winning races and taking it to Merc and Red Bull every race.

Last edited:
Honda have their own drivers (Izawa in GP2 for one) who I'm sure they will put into F1 in 2016 with the second 'near the back' team they chose to supply.

RasputinLives That sounds more logical as I don't think trying to extend a driver career previously associated with Toyota is going to be warmed to

So Honda supplying Sauber to put IZawa in the car would be a possibility or Marussia

cider_and_toast Vettel did not deny he has been contacted by Mclaren but cant see him jumping now

So Honda supplying Sauber to put IZawa in the car would be a possibility or Marussia
Or Caterham, if they still exist, considering Caterham is currently the only Asian team and because Honda has supplied engines to Caterham road cars in the past.

Izawa is 30 years old without a very distinguished background. Not doing too bad in his first year of GP2, but his 22 year old teammate also in his first year of GP2 is definitely getting the best of him. Doubt we would see him in F1.

Izawa was an example of a Honda stable driver. They've funded him to be in GP2 interestingly alongside Mclaren youth driver Vandorne.

I doubt we'll see him either but I usex him as an example of Honda's own stable of Japanese drivers they'd go for over a Toyota reject.

Having one of the most unlucky seasons ever in IndyCars. Finished something like 5 of 15 races. He's always been a bit crazy in IndyCars and subsequently crash prone but that hasn't been the case this season. Maybe a few crashes but he's demonstrated so many crazy unlucky ways to have your race ruined. Only Josef Newgarden is unluckier.

Mr Sato is indeed having a tough time in Indy Cars with luck not being on his side or in his pits. Would have thought a Sato, McLaren & Honda trio would be too much for the King Ruler of McLaren to stomach for his true future destiny of F1 overlordship

Having one of the most unlucky seasons ever in IndyCars. Finished something like 5 of 15 races. He's always been a bit crazy in IndyCars and subsequently crash prone but that hasn't been the case this season. Maybe a few crashes but he's demonstrated so many crazy unlucky ways to have your race ruined. Only Josef Newgarden is unluckier.
That opening lap crash that he got caught up in at Mid-Ohio was stupid. Who hits debris on a road course and damages their wing to the point where it needs to be replaced? Taku Sato, thats who!

Back
Top Bottom