Music The Music Thread

Something old - the best thing to come out Bristol other than the M32

Something new, not from Bristol

and something a little bit blue. Without doubt, the best new artist of 2020

Right, Eurovision, yes it's all a bit crap but I enjoy it and it's fun.

Our song this year was absolute dog toffee but there were actually a few songs I thought were quite good.

One really stood out. The Portuguese entry "Love is on my side" by The Black Mamba (don't Google them on a work computer LOL)

I was impressed enough to have a Google of some of their other stuff. Blow me sideways, they're brilliant. For the princely some of £7.99 I purchased their most recent album "The Mamba King" as a download from Amazon. Soul, blues and rhythm and blues all wrapped up in every song. Great album.

Here's a taste:

Portuguese entry was definitely a grower over the week & began to like it, even if he has the voice of macy gray. i liked Cyprus that song is so catchy, greek dua lipa was good & Norway if you wasnt distracted by the staging was great pop ballad

i didnt get the italian act. thought finland were a better rock act. My top 4 was Iceland Switzerland Malta & Finland, but then UK gave italy 3 pts so seems to be continental Europe thing.

overall Eurovision was a cracker, after a sabbicatal. dutch did a brilliant job, Graham norton was on top form, german tweenies giving everyone the finger, straight into heavy rock, dead kermit & weird 10ft angel costume. what more could you want & if you were a Italian F1 & Eurovision fan days didnt get much better than that

I have considerable doubts that even if we entered a song that hit number 1 in the UK and the USA also achieving a high top 10 in every country in Europe whether we would make the top 10 in the Eurovision contest. It just ain't a song contest anymore :whistle: LOL

This is our scoresheet...
Column 1 is me
Column 2 my wife
Column 3 our daughter
Column 4 total
Column 5 final positions by us
D5A1DA8E-DD7B-46DB-B688-118FB46A5AB7.jpeg

Wow, your daughter was harsh on Malta.

I thought Malta was brilliant because of her enthusiasm. Properly made me smile.

Loving the score sheet. Wish we'd done something like that.

Will have to adopt that for next year.

But it is...
Name me one song of the last 10 years which Britain has performed that deserves to win.
i dont think the majority of british Eurovision fans expect to win, i dont because there are quality acts like sweden, then always 1 out of the blue like Malta Iceland or Italy this year.

i will agree that some it has been we have brought it on ourself, people like Jemini, Scooch, Andy Sbraham, Daz Sampson, Bonnie Tyler, Engelbert Humperdinck, Surie, Electro Velvet have been embarrassing.

i think its better phrase, how many deserved to be top half. i think molly, lucie & james newman deserved to be & blue were

I actually thought Daz Simpson's Teenage Life was a great song. Deserved to win? Nope but it had a bit of character and fun to it.

This is the UK's problem, they don't know what makes a great Eurovision song anymore. The visuals, the set up, the tune, the whole package, everything matters.

Think back to Saturday night now and ask yourself how many tunes do you remember? How much of the visuals do you remember?

jade ewen in 2009 was very good came 5th & considering Denmark Portugal & Dutch winning entries in following years. it was good enough

actually under current points system wouldve finished 3rd. problem it ran into 1 of top 3 songs of the last 12 years fairytale by Alexander rybak. (other 2 being euphoria by loreen in 2012 & heroes by mans zemerlow in 2015)

Germany is still seared into my brain & i said on saturday its a good job he doesnt feel hate, as he going get a lot of it :D

yes for most of it you remember the visuals. although i was singing Cyprus song even on sunday it was so catchy

That hand costume giving the middle finger was possibly one of the greatest moments of Eurovision.

Yeah, the song was hilariously terrible but I laughed the whole way through it.

Back
Top Bottom