The London 2012 Paralympics

soccerman17 Yes some British company's block the IP's of outside countries, for instance you can't get BBC iplayer outside of the uk, the only way to watch it is to fool the source into thinking it is a uk computer accessing the information this can be done via a VPN (There are some free ones out there you can register with, just sign in and access the content from there.) and before anyone says anything it is not illegal to do this so I am not breaking any site rules by posting this...

This is quite a good way of watching F1 on iplayer on your laptop if us Brits go abroad.

I have to admit to giving the BBC credit as they showed the full "Meet The Superhumans" trailer a few times in the last week, including showing the fact that it was being broadcast on C4 for the TV coverage (though still put 5Live above C4 in the list of broadcasters).

If you look at the history over the TV broadcasting rights for London 2012, both C4 and the BBC wanted both events, but they combined the bids at the last minute to be as we have it now, because it meant that more could be spent on broadcasting an event of national importance. This means that C4 will spend almost as much on the paralympics as the BBC spent (certainly in terms of £ per event covered) but that the BBC could concentrate their money on providing what has been heralded as the first "truly digital" Olympics with C4 picking up the coverage in the same way for the Paralympics.

C4 were able to offset their costs somewhat with the escalated cost of advertising during the event, sponsorship from BT (who have spent an absolute fortune on both Olympics and Paralympics to support both events) and the way they could commercially associate themselves as an Olympics broadcaster (it has been noted that they are charging more for advertising in a slot around a paralympics promo as companies want to be associated wih the games in anyway possible).

Overall this approach has meant we as the consumer has got a much better viewing experience than we would have received if only one broadcaster had been lumbered with the full cost. I welcome this approach as it means I got a better Olympic experience than I would have done otherwise :)

Oh, and just to say, I think the "Meet the Superhumans" video is one of the most iconic promotions ever done for the Olympics or Paralympics, congrats to C4 for approaching it this way :)

Mephistopheles You really don't like the BBC! Or maybe you're just having a bad day? Channel 4 clearly uploaded the video (that you posted). It's on to the Channel 4 Paralympics YouTube channel with the title "Channel 4 Paralympics - Meet the Superhumans". If it was anything to do with the BBC, they'd be doing Channel 4 a massive favour. Surely you can't blame them for not covering it one minute, and then blame them for uploading a Channel 4 Paralympics advert the next?

It is also reasonable to restrict viewing to the Britain, considering it's an advert by a British channel for their British coverage featuring almost exclusively British athletes.

I agree with the bulk of the promotional stuff being brilliant but Speshal I don't think the "thanks for the warm up" tag line is being used on that advert with the athletes under the stadium.

It looks like many events are set to be a sell out for the first time in the history of the paralympics which is going make for a brilliant atmosphere.

It was on the C4 adverts I saw.

That suggests to me not that they have been hidden out of the way, more that they are waiting in the wings to take centre stage?

What's the reason for the lengthy time period between the end of one games and the start of another?

Does it really take that long to adapt the stadia?
What do they need to do anyway? I would have expected them to already be able to accommodate wheelchairs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom