The Lewis Hamilton Non-News Thread

Last year, or was it the year before? Federer was banned from his own tennis match because he wore the wrong trainers. He had to get different ones. How ridiculous. And how upsetting to an Athlete to have to change footwear just before a vital match.
This event of course didn't get the coverage given to Hamilton for being turned away as a spectator, it didn't engender the clever little headlines
Over here in the States, that stuff did get more than a few column inches in the sports section, as did a previous infraction of one of the Williams sisters. It wasn't headline, there was much more important news at the time, but it did get inches of column space.

As for Hamilton showing up in inappropriate clothing, he had no excuse. I don't really follow tennis, but even I know there's a strict dress code for most Royal Boxes in most sports. Why didn't Hamilton know?

He was offered a blazer and a tie, by the powers that be at Wimbledon, according to The Times anyway, he chose not to accept. So I guess his image was more important to him than the match.

Ruder than calling people haters because they dare criticise your fantasy boyfriend? Honestly. He rocked up wearing a quite terrible outfit that also didn't fit in with the dress code.

It's okay to have a dress code especially in the Royal box.

It's not a big deal, there is also nothing to defend. He was wrong.

Grow up Hamberg. Why do you have to turn everything into a personal attack if someone disagrees with you? Fantasy boyfriend? Oh dear oh dear!
Have you read the regular press articles regarding Hamilton? On this and a multitude of other things? His lifestyle,that he's a tax exile, his friends, that he sprays champagne, has dogs, likes music, questions strategies etc etc No? If you had you would know what I mean by the hate. But I think you missed the point and took it personally.

I think the pomp and ceremony regarding some of Britain's traditional sports( golf, tennis, cricket) are outdated and need updating, you think they are great, neither view is relevant. The rules are in place and Lewis got it wrong and paid the price. Apparantly he was apologetic and polite about it ( that comes form the rule maker)
No need to be unpleasant about it, Lewis wasn't.

I haven't been able to find the "Guide for Royal Box Guests" online. I'd be interesting to know what is it expected when you are invited the Royal Box (not that I'm going to be invited in a million years, just curious).

He was offered a blazer and a tie, by the powers that be at Wimbledon, according to The Times anyway, he chose not to accept. So I guess his image was more important to him than the match.

Titch I read that at first but since then the All England ( rule man) has said there was nothing suitable for him, apparantly the shoes were an issue too not just the blazer and tie.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find the "Guide for Royal Box Guests" online. I'd be interesting to know what is it expected when you are invited the Royal Box

Without checking it out my instinct would be to dress like I was going to a job interview.

Titch I read that at first but since then the All England ( rule man) has said there was nothing suitable for him, apparantly the shoes were an issue too not just the blazer and tie.

By not suitable for him, are they politely saying that he refused because the style didn't suit his image? As to the shoes. I don't suppose they would have been a huge issue, once seated, no one could see his feet. They tried to accommodate the guy, he wanted to be above the rules of Wimbledon.
If you come to my house, I will ask you not to smoke inside, if that offends you, you can piss off.

We all have rules.

Djokovic. He said it was his ability to stay calm under pressure. Tell that to the ball girl he made nearly cry!

Oh crap sorry it's only Hamilton that gets bad press for non stories. I did NOT see that all over the news.

A little confusion and big information cause:
Hamilton's visit to the tennis match has much more references in the search systems
than tennis match itself :)

And some days after "event" we have:

"Lewis Hamilton will be invited back to Wimbledon next year
despite dress code snub that caused him to miss men's final
"

Lewis Hamilton will be invited back to sit in Wimbledon's Royal Box next year, despite the mix-up over clothing that saw him miss the men's final on Sunday.
Richard Lewis, Chief Executive of the All England Club, insisted that there were no hard feelings on either side after the Formula One world champion turned up looking insufficiently smart to sit in the famous enclosure among other celebrities and sports stars.
'We will definitely be asking him back and hopefully it will fit in with his schedule,' said Lewis. 'The problem was that we didn't have anything on hand appropriate for him to wear in what is a very high profile place.'

Lewis Hamilton spent a very good PR-action :)

Back
Top Bottom