The Lewis Hamilton Non-News Thread

He didn't have to wear a tie to a tennis game. Could have gone in his pants if he was in the normal seats (probably). He needed to wear a tie to get in the royal box.

Dress codes exist everywhere. I have to wear business wear to work, you can't go in Tesco in your PJs and about 50% of all nightclubs have a no trainers or tracksuit bottoms rule.

Dress code is everywhere so not sure why people are rebelling now. No one was saying how snobby it was when I wasn't allowed in Weatherspoons when I was 18 because my T-shirt had a marajuna leaf on it.

Time for a change, some traditions are way outdated. Who wants to wear a tie and jacket in the height of summer to watch tennis? Each to his own, but Im not keen on pomp and ceremony.
Back to Hamilton. I'm sure he has ample jackets and ties he could have used had he been aware that this was a requirement, HUGO Boss sponsor him. But I applaud him for declining the offer of a borrowed outfit!

At least it provided a bit of amusement and helped to fill part of the gap which should contain chat on the German GP. Today's news, tomorrows chip wrapper. Moving on......

I guess thats my point. If he'd just said "whoops I made an error, thanks for the tie guys" it wouldn't have made the news and we'd never of heard about it.

Now he's opened himself up for the haters to hate and the anti-haters to make speaches of respect for Hamilton's noble bid to end British snobbery ("...a working class hero is something to be"). But worst of all he missed the tennis!

Ok I'll stop ranting now. Just sillyness.

The haters will always hate on Lewis Hamilton, they always have, always will. Whether it be about ties, planes, dogs or what he eats for breakfast. Politely refusing to pander to it was his best stance I reckon. He wasn't rude, he just declined the offer.

Hahahahaha ROFL

I'm a Hamilton fan. Dress code is dress code. I love Royalty and I love tradition.

It was the Royal box. Get over it.

Get over it? How rude!
Nothing to get over. It was a nothing. And that you are a Hamilton fan who loves royalty and tradition has nothing to do with it either. Lewis was unaware of an outdated dress code. End of . I'd love to hear the private thoughts of Prince Harry on the incident.

Im firmly with RasputinLives & Hamberg as I said in my piece as much as I like Lewis & have since GP2. why does he think that rules would be bent for him the dress code is almost certainly on tickets that Men who are invited to the exclusive box on Centre Court must wear a jacket, tie and shoes (if not do some research ring them look on internet or even watch a game). & think if Beckham borg & countless no of filmstars other big sporting stars have managed it then surely he could on new £100m contract

Last edited:
When ever I go somewhere new I check the code of behaviour and the dress code.....isn't that normal? I too am a Hamilton fan but he got this wrong and frankly should have taken the trouble to check what standard of dress was acceptable. I'm hoping he didn't think they would make an exception for him because of who he is, that would smack of arrogance.

Last edited:
It wasn't only a tie. He also needed to wear a jacket . And apparantly there are rules about shoes too and Lewis also had the wrong sort of shoes on. :no: According to one Richard Lewis chief executive of the all England club, they didn't have suitable clothing for Hamilton. But no hard feelings. He'll be invited back next year.

'We will definitely be asking him back and hopefully it will fit in with his schedule,' said Lewis. 'The problem was that we didn't have anything on hand appropriate for him to wear in what is a very high profile place.'

Last year, or was it the year before? Federer was banned from his own tennis match because he wore the wrong trainers. He had to get different ones. How ridiculous. And how upsetting to an Athlete to have to change footwear just before a vital match.
This event of course didn't get the coverage given to Hamilton for being turned away as a spectator, it didn't engender the clever little headlines ..Lewis has hissy fit.....Lewis not smart enough...Cocky Hamilton ...Wimbledon reject...etc etc , that the press just love to come up with regarding anything Hamilton.
But maybe it highlights the need for some of the outdated rules on dress code to be revised.

'We will definitely be asking him back and hopefully it will fit in with his schedule,' said Lewis. 'The problem was that we didn't have anything on hand appropriate for him to wear in what is a very high profile place.'
That would appear to clear it up and all of the comments with regards to Hamilton refusing offers of clothing, being silly or snobbish, ignoring tradition, etc. would appear to be well wide of the mark.

Still, what's a non story about Hamilton without a load of unsubstantiated claims?

Get over it? How rude!

Ruder than calling people haters because they dare criticise your fantasy boyfriend? Honestly. He rocked up wearing a quite terrible outfit that also didn't fit in with the dress code.

It's okay to have a dress code especially in the Royal box.

It's not a big deal, there is also nothing to defend. He was wrong.

Well I guess thats a differnt matter. If they had nothing for him then obviously he couldn't accept it. I just read he'd refused to accept it which frankly would have been daft.

Still - lets not champion him as a campaign against the upper classes or talk about how proud we are of him for not obeying old fashion rules. He's just a bloke who forgot to read his invitation in full.

We've all done that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom