Football The 2012/13 Season

American teams have pretty silly names, Beckham got sent off against San Jose Earthquakes at the weekend. Not sure if it's supposed to be ironic or not.

MLS TEAM NAMES

Chicago Fire - Put it out, put it out!
Columbus Crew - Sort of reminds me of a street gang of some variety.
D.C. United - Hooray! Normal name!
Houston Dynamo - Presumably attached to a Texan Communist electrics company.
Montreal Impact - Ah, a word that means the same in French and English.
New England Revolution - About two hundred years too late, my friends. Are Olympique Marseilles called the Marseille Anthems?
New York Red Bulls - Fitting ode to free-market capitalism.
Philadelphia Union - Hmmm... another historic reference. Brilliant!
Sporting Kansas City - You are not in Iberia. Give it up!
Toronto FC - Well, I like it for its simplicity. Never did Barcelona any harm, did it?

C. D. Chivas USA - So its a satellite club for Guadalajara. Just in case you didn't know who played the better football...
Colorado Rapids - Shouldn't that be a ride at a theme park?
FC Dallas - Yes! Simplicity!
Los Angeles Galaxy - The idea of a Galaxy of stars fell down at Robbie Keane. Puts me in mind of the bug from Men in Black.
Portland Timbers - I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK. They should sign Olof Mellberg!
Real Salt Lake - Has the King of Spain been consulted about this?
San Jose Earthquakes - A name to make you tremble, presumably.
Seattle Sounders - Well, at least you can hear them.
Vancouver Whitecaps - Not enough teams are named after geology, are they?

mjo

I think thats an excellent coup for QPR. Ji Sung Park may not be a Man U type player these days but he offers QPR a bloody good winger/midfielder.

Lots of rumours circulating that we're gonna sign someone from out of left field who you wouldn't expect to join a champo club. Question is i don't have the foggest as too who it'll be.

Hmmmm..... I wonder who??

Great news for the MK Dons, we have signed Alan Smith on a two-year contract! I've seen him a few times with the Dons and he is a class above.

Leeds Uniteds potential new buyer has been named and boy is it controversial.

Reports in the Middle East have put a name to the mystery man they believe to be in pole position to buy Leeds United.

Gulf Weekly reports that the group of Middle East investors, with links across the region, is headed by Bahrain’s Shaikh Abdulrahman bin Mubarak Al Khalifa.

The report, from the Bahrain-based newspaper, goes on to say that the Shaikh is a lifelong supporter of Leeds and was previously linked with a failed takeover of the club in 2003.

According to the newspaper, friends of Shaikh Abdulrahman say he is currently visiting Europe and is not available to comment.

In 2003 he told reporters: “I fell in love with the club when I was 11-years-old when Leeds played Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final.

“Leeds mean everything to me, I was born to support them. Those who are closest to me, my friends and my family, know what Leeds United mean to me.”

The protracted takeover saga has been rumbling on for more than a month with the trail having gone cold in North America, and now appearing to settle in the Gulf.

Leeds United released a statement recently that read: “Leeds United can confirm they have granted an exclusivity period to enable a potential investor to carry out the appropriate due diligence.

“It is anticipated this will be a fairly straightforward process. A confidentiality clause prevents the club from making any further comment.

“However, our discussions with them have left us very comfortable that they have the financial resources to support the club and that they will have no issues in satisfying the requirements of the Football League’s Owners and Directors Test, unlike many of the previous approaches we have had to endure.”

Just what Leeds need to help promote their sparkling media image. :givemestrength:

Captain Birdseye or a member of the Bahrain Royal Family - not sure which is worse. I reckon if Ken Bates could have put tanks on the streets around Stamford Bridge when he was in charge at Chelsea he would have done :snigger:

Back
Top Bottom