Football The 2012/13 Season

fergie.jpg

Pleased to see Bradford get their reward for a great season at Wembley too, even if it was at the expense of a club I have a fondness for.

If Palace can win theirs, with apologies to Watford, that'll be three feel-good stories.

Now that Tony Pulis has left Route One F.C. i wonder if Dave Bassett has being contacted for the job, as he would be a perfect manager for there playing style.

cider_and_toast :o

:thinking: I think that there is a strong Bristol City connection going on here.
David Moyes: ex Bristol City player.
Jimmy Lumsden: ex Bristol City manager.

Okay, both were at City at different times, but even so...
And coincidentally, both are Scottish, but so are loads of other people... :dontmentionit:

And as a side note; in 1999 City could have appointed David Moyes as manager, but appointed Tony Pulis instead!:crazy:
Lucky escape there then...!:rolleyes: (Pulis lasted approximately 6 months...:clip: )

:dunno:

Dunno then mate. I could have sworn that Moyes turned us down to stay at Preston.

The whole Pulis era just makes me shudder. I still chuckle now at the copy of "One Team....." with the back page saying "to the fans, players and board of Portsmouth Football club. Thankyou so much!" I still can't believe Pompy wanted him. Aside from a brief spell with Gillingham where he reached the play off final before getting the boot after punching the chairman, he was a total disaster for us and had nothing going for him. On top of all that, he was a bloody Gashead as well.

A few seasons ago at Ashton Gate, I was sat in the Williams Stand a couple of rows from the front, behind the away dugout.
City v Stoke. Pulis was walking out at the start of the second half and he was about 20ft from me. I cupped my hands in-front of my mouth and went; "BOOOOO!"
Pulis looked up at me - his face was a picture... :snigger:
(He smiled when he turned away though...:()

When compared to some of the "banter" that the fan's around me have served up for other Managers, this was quite tame! :embarrassed:
But it made me laugh...
And City won, 1-0.! :cheer:

cider_and_toast

You were most likely correct! :embarrassed:

An older City fan has said this;
In July 1999, Tony Pulis was appointed manager. He had led Gillingham to the playoff final only two months before, but had then been sacked for “Gross Misconduct”. Lennartson would stay on for a hand over period. City had wanted ex City player David Moyes as manager, but Preston, who he now managed, twice refused permission for Davidson to talk to Moyes, who then led Preston to the division championship.

He went on to say;
In 2000 Pulis resigned and became manager of Portsmouth. The following day City won 3-2 at Bournemouth whilst Portsmouth lost by the same score at home to Wolves, whose equaliser was scored by Tony Branch who Pulis had tried to sign for City and the winner came from Akinbiyi who Pulis had sold to Wolves only four months before. The following week City were home to leaders Wigan. When City’s players took the field they were seen to be smiling and relaxed. One lifelong fan commented that was the first time, that season, that had happened.

Yeah, wrong winner for the the neutral like myself who always wants to see the underdog win but it was a good match.

Back
Top Bottom