Football The 2010 Football World Cup Thread

I agree with Sir Galahad. The successful nations all have acadamies (or Barcelona to do it for them).

The old cliché is that all decisions come around eventually, but sometimes you have to wait 44 years for them. Thats what happened today. Karma at long-range.

Funny parallel to 1966 as well. Look which club the goalscorer came from!

So its Fat Man's Messi Mystery Tour against the Cuatehmoc Blanco Farewell Tour. Who will win?

Another terrible decision in the Argentina - Mexico match.

Two clear off sides acknowledged and seen by everyone but the goal stands.

Does football have any credibility left?

Brogan said:
Another terrible decision in the Argentina - Mexico match.

Two clear off sides acknowledged and seen by everyone but the goal stands.

Does football have any credibility left?

Let me think about that one..............no. :o :o :o

One of the funniest things to occur yesterday was listening to Chris Waddle totally loose the plot on Radio 5 in the post match summery of the Germany game. He actually went off his face including beating up (or what sounded for all the world like it) his commentary box. There was rants, thumps on the desks and several times when he had to catch himself before swearing.

The media were attacked for hyping the team, there were rants about the players not wanting it, being pampered and overpaid, that Capello must go, that every tournament England seem to go backwards, the occasional pause to take a deep breath and then off again.

:thumbsup:

Another highlight was listening to Graham Taylor check himself after saying "One of the problems is that there are too many foreigners coming over here...." in a statement that sounded more like a BNP policy than a football review. You could just about hear the sound of the shovel digging away as Taylor desperately tried to get out of the whole he'd made for himself. That is, of course, when Chris Waddle had stopped punching the desk.

What made the game so depressing was that sense of total capitulation. England's second goal over the line? Of course it was. Moment that changed the game? not really. England would have still needed a third goal so they would still have had to come out and attack Germany. It was being caught out too many times at the back that was the major issue. As one of the papers put it today, at least getting spanked 4-1 spared the next four years of "we was robbed" debates.

The next problem is where do England go from here? Sack Capello, erm didn't the FA just sort out his contract in the run up to the cup so that if he does go now then he pockets 10 million quid? Brilliant work that, its just a good job that at grass roots levels there is a bucket load of cash swimming around so they don't need it. Oh hang on, wait a second, there isn't.

The entire squad needs a shake up but with the exception of one or two players, how many of us would have picked a different squad to go? Rooney has scored over 40 goals for Utd this season but he didn't look like he could hit a cows ass with a banjo in the last two weeks and as far as pride in playing for your country, the guy never sings the national anthem, never looks like he's enjoying it, constantly whines about being bored and then rants at anyone who'll listen when its clear that he isn't playing well. And, the other 22 were just as rubbish.

:D

So there you go.

Safe journey home England and don't worry fellas you will soon be back in your luxury multi million pound houses, driving your expensive sports cars and turning out for your premiership club once a week to the adulation of your fans. Its a had life.

cider_and_toast said:
One of the funniest things to occur yesterday was listening to Chris Waddle totally loose the plot on Radio 5 in the post match summery of the Germany game. He actually went off his face including beating up (or what sounded for all the world like it) his commentary box. There was rants, thumps on the desks and several times when he had to catch himself before swearing.

The media were attacked for hyping the team, there were rants about the players not wanting it, being pampered and overpaid, that Capello must go, that every tournament England seem to go backwards, the occasional pause to take a deep breath and then off again.
LOL
I wish I'd heard that.

The next problem is where do England go from here? Sack Capello, erm didn't the FA just sort out his contract in the run up to the cup so that if he does go now then he pockets 10 million quid?
I made that very point before the tournament started.
Still, they did it with the previous 2 managers so why not carry on

What annoys me is the inherent cheating in football.
Take snooker for example (bear with me), if a player brushes a ball with their hand, shirt, etc. they immediately stand up and declare themselves as having fouled.
In the England - Germany match, the keeper knew full well it was over the line but kept his mouth shut and indeed in the press today he said:
"I tried not to react to the referee and just concentrate on what was happening - it was difficult. I knew it was close."

Brogan said:
What annoys me is the inherent cheating in football.
Take snooker for example (bear with me), if a player brushes a ball with their hand, shirt, etc. they immediately stand up and declare themselves as having fouled.

In the England - Germany match, the keeper knew full well it was over the line but kept his mouth shut and indeed in the press today he said: "I tried not to react to the referee and just concentrate on what was happening - it was difficult. I knew it was close."

We could start an entire thread just with Youtube clips of footballers cheating. This classic clip from yesteryear just shows that the problem has being going on for years and years before that. Apparently, Sepp Blatter refuses to even think about goal line technology because in his words "Refereeing mistakes" a part of the game.

I sorry but no they're ****ing not !!!!

cider_and_toast said:

Chris Waddle was brilliant.

I was listening to him during the game and every time we lost the ball you could hear him in the background screaming "Argghhhh!!" because he knew what was coming, a counter-attack and usually a goal.

He's absolutely right about everything he's said so far concerning building academies etc.

It needs to be done, and Burton, despite the talk, is not the answer. Burton was, and is, never intended to be a footballing academy. It is simply a base for all England squads to locate to before games, ironically further away from infrastructure than the England camp's current base at Arsenal's Grove training facilities.

Can I just say that England, a country of 45 to 50 million people (at a guess), is one of the top 16 footballing nations in the world. Is that really that bad?

FB said:
Can I just say that England, a country of 45 to 50 million people (at a guess), is one of the top 16 footballing nations in the world. Is that really that bad?

When you compare it to the likes of Australia and New Zealand and their sporting achievements (Rugby, swimming, etc), yes.

FB said:

In normal terms nope, it isn't that bad. I think what has peeved so many people is the manor in which the players conducted themselves on and off the field during the last two weeks. Moaning about being bored, kicking off with the manager, playing some of the worst football seen by any England team in a long time, mouthing off directly to the camera when your performance was one of the worst of the night. The list goes on.

I think most people generally accept that England aren't going to win the World Cup but you want to see at least an effort made to go through each round. It was the lame way in which everything was done that just seemed to be so at odds with what you would expect from a national side.

It is almost as if playing for the national team means absolutely nothing now.

@Bro ROFL

Brogan said:

62 million now apparently.

UK population is 62 million Bro but England is about 50 million.

Fat Jez said:

When you compare it to the likes of Australia and New Zealand and their sporting achievements (Rugby, swimming, etc), yes.

I disagree entirely Jez. The UK in totality and England in particular punch well above their weight in world sport. Although we may not win many international tournaments England have a world class rugby team (all codes), cricket team & football team (on occasions). We row, we shoot, we swim, we cycle, we have top class athletes, we have top class racing drivers, in fact I can't think of many international sports where these islands don't have a sportsman in the top 50 apart from maybe winter sports. Australia is an exception as they are a sports obsessed nation but apart from rugby & cricket New Zealand aren't exactly setting the world alight on the sporting stage.

When you compare the population of the UK and England to, say, the US or Germany or France I think we do pretty well.

FB said:
UK population is 62 million Bro but England is about 50 million.
facepalm.gif

Of course!

FB said:
in fact I can't think of many international sports where these islands don't have a sportsman in the top 50 apart from maybe winter sports.

And to come zooming in with a few winter sport notables. Don't forget we lead the world in the Skeleton Bob with Olympic and World championship gold medals. We have at various times medalled in 2 and 4 man bobsleigh. We are (thanks to our friends in the north) world champions in Curling and Olympic medalists as well. We have at least one female skier (Chemmy Alcott) in the top 30 and as recently as 18 months ago she was a regular top 20 finisher on the European tour. We have also won Olympic gold medals in figure skating, Ice dance and Ice Hockey (yep as unbelievable as that seems !) plus world championships in Snowboarding and Snow X. Then let's not forget Eddie the Eagle Edwards, the only man brave enough to represent Team GB at chucking yourself off of a mountain.

All in all for a country that where it snows on average once every 12 years I don't think we do too badly.

I don't think the gripe is with a simple achievement/population ratio. It is that England seem to play with no intelligence or commitment. They are not like Stoke and they are not like Arsenal. They're a bit like Newcastle when they went down.

There seems to be a total lack of effort that you don't see from, say, Ireland. There is a total lack of a gameplan such as New Zealand exhibited. There is just total emptiness in the brain department.

I'm not disappointed by getting to the last sixteen of a World Cup tournament. It was not such a big deal exiting at this stage in 1998, say. However, the lack of commitment by players who have been guaranteed their place for 5 years plus is dispiriting, when you know there are many English players who would give anything to be in their shoes, some of them better players to boot.

Name five better English left-wingers than Steven Gerrard. For God's sake, there are 3 at Aston Villa!

I agree with everything you've written there TBY. It wasn't the defeat it was the manor of the defeat that was so disappointing.

As for Gerrard, I'm no expert but I'm sure that he doesn't play as a left winger for Liverpool so why was he playing in that position for England?

Rooney was a strange one because I don't think there was anyone who would have said that he shouldn't have been in the starting line up however he was one of the biggest disasters in the squad. What's the bets he will now go home, have a week or two off and come Man Utds tour of the Far East or where ever they are going this year he will be running round like a headless chicken again.

In one of the papers today they had a little table of the front 6 England players (2 Strikers and the 4 midfielders) and the same from Germany and showed that the German players had player more games than their English counterparts. In total each German player, played on average 4 or 5 games more this season. So "we were tired" really doesn't hold water.

Finally I see Sepp Blatter has come out and said FIFA will review their policy on the introduction of goal line technology.

In other news a mystery buyer from Switzerland has just bought a large share in a company called Goal Line Technology Inc.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom