Football The 2010 Football World Cup Thread

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
Well it's here again. I know there are a few football fans on here hiding away in shame so I thought I'd stick a thread up for banter and discussion on the festival of football that is the world cup.

It's strange because I find myself so ambivalent to the success of the national team but I'm sure I'll get swept along with it as the tournament progresses and we eventually go out on penalties in a game we should have won.

fat_jez said:
Can we have a "Not the 2010 Football World Cup Thread" please, Bro?
Be my guest :)

I was being (slightly) facetious earlier.

We will probably watch our usual 3 teams which are Wales, Turkey and England but I can take or leave football, it doesn't really do much for me.

After years of following Bristol City (and I'm sure McZ will agree) I know how you feel.

As for the fortunes of our national team, well of course it would be great to bask in the reflected glory of a world cup win but weather they win or loose am I than bothered, Nah, not really.

As it's the world cup though, like any major sporting occasion it's worth a look. There will be the usual mix of shocks and upsets, fun and down right cheating and all points in between.

When I was younger, I got well excited about world cups!

But as you get older, sit through a world cup or two with no-one to cheer on, suffer one disappointment too many - usually penalty-miss related, yet another over-hyped "England to emulate 1966" with this year's golden generation squad :yawn: and I become a bit blasé about it all...

Of course, it's a nice distraction over the summer months and I like watching the best teams in the world, but if (or when ;) ) England don't win the thing, it won't come as much of a surprise!

I'll still be tuning in for most of the tournament, however, I'm far more interested in the new season that starts in August. Steve Coppell's red & white army*! :cheer:

* For those that aren't C_a_T or myself, that's Bristol City!

Brogan said:
About time someone started a thread, I for one can't wai.....zzzzzz :sleeping:

LOL

All I can say on that one is.......
GO AMERICA GO!!!

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the United States & England in the same World Cup grouping this go-round? :o :o :censored: :givemestrength: :o :o

Matthew Little said:
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the United States & England in the same World Cup grouping this go-round? :o :o :censored: :givemestrength: :o :o
This site seems to be fairly useful: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

It has all the fixtures and you can click on background to check previous ties, etc.

England and the US are indeed both in Group C.

I can't see Wales or Turkey though.
Did they both fail to qualify? :disappointed:

Brogan said:
Matthew Little said:
This site seems to be fairly useful: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

It has all the fixtures and you can click on background to check previous ties, etc.

England and the US are indeed both in Group C.

I can't see Wales or Turkey though.
Did they both fail to qualify? :disappointed:

Wales finished 4th in UEFA Group 4 qualifying behind Finland, Russia and Germany.
Turkey finished 3rd in UEFA Group 5 qualifying behind Bosnia & Spain.
Neither country advanced from either group.

As for England and the United States...........they are both in Group C and will open up the group action June 12th in Rustenberg. :givemestrength: :givemestrength: :givemestrength:

I'll enjoy it from a purist's perspective - seeing teams and players you don't see every day - and frankly if it's football I'll watch it whatever it is.

But I can't manage any sort of partisan excitement about England any more I'm afraid. Like MZR, I'm 100x more interested in my own club, so England games for me consist of:
1. Hope no Spurs players are picked,
2. If they are, hope they don't get injured, or do something silly,
3. Actually, hope they don't play that well, as otherwise some rich owner will most likely come to steal them from us!

So I'm afraid I'm delighted that neither Wales, nor Croatia, have qualified this time - for purely selfish reasons.

A shame North Korea weren't drawn in the USA's group, I thought. I still have fond memories of the Iran game from a few years ago... LOL

McZiderRed said:
When I was younger, I got well excited about world cups!

But as you get older, sit through a world cup or two with no-one to cheer on, suffer one disappointment too many - usually penalty-miss related, yet another over-hyped "England to emulate 1966" with this year's golden generation squad :yawn: and I become a bit blasé about it all...

Of course, it's a nice distraction over the summer months and I like watching the best teams in the world, but if (or when ;) ) England don't win the thing, it won't come as much of a surprise!

I'll still be tuning in for most of the tournament, however, I'm far more interested in the new season that starts in August. Billy Davies' red & white army*! :cheer:

* For those that have forgotten about us, that's twice European Cup Winners but we don't cling to past glories anymore, no siree Bob! Nottingham Forest

What he said, up there

Galahad said:
So I'm afraid I'm delighted that neither Wales, nor Croatia, have qualified this time - for purely selfish reasons.
Is that because there are Welsh and Croatian players who play for Spurs?

I'm showing my football ignorance here I'm afraid :D

Brogan said:
Is that because there are Welsh and Croatian players who play for Spurs?

I'm showing my football ignorance here I'm afraid :D

:D Got it in one, Bro!

(Gareth Bale is Welsh; Luka Modric, Niko Kranjcar and Vedran Corluka are Croatian)

You should worry more about your manager G. If England do well Fabio will probably leave, if England have a stinker the red top press will make his life unbearable and he'll walk. Step up one Henry James "Harry" Redknapp (thanks Wiki) to become the real life Mike Basset LOL

Anyway, looking forward to the World Cup but I do get fed up with all the hype and the "offical" team sponsors & merchandise. When England flew out yesterday they were all suited and booted by M&S, how proud I am that the England team were all wearing clothing made in Eastern European and South East Asian sweat shops. Nivea, a very large German company, are marking the "official skin care range" of team England, how patriotic, and can someone explain why a football team needs an "official supermarket"? Do they get 10% discount on their weekly grocery shop? The last footballer I saw in a supermarket was Alan Knight (Pompey goalkeeper for many years for those who don't know) and he was going thourgh the bins of marked down goods at my local CO-OP, now there was a man who NEEDED an official supermarket!

Grumble, grumble...

FB said:
Anyway, looking forward to the World Cup but I do get fed up with all the hype and the "offical" team sponsors & merchandise. When England flew out yesterday they were all suited and booted by M&S, how proud I am that the England team were all wearing clothing made in Eastern European and South East Asian sweat shops. Nivea, a very large German company, are marking the "official skin care range" of team England, how patriotic, and can someone explain why a football team needs an "official supermarket"? Do they get 10% discount on their weekly grocery shop? The last footballer I saw in a supermarket was Alan Knight (Pompey goalkeeper for many years for those who don't know) and he was going thourgh the bins of marked down goods at my local CO-OP, now there was a man who NEEDED an official supermarket!

Grumble, grumble...

All true and it does :censored: me off as well.

Mars bars and Mcdonalds em... Doesn't that send out the right image?

But on another note, just how funny was it that Theo Wallcot has been the "face" of a lot of brands in the run up to the World Cup and then due to some half arsed "I'm going anyway so why bother" football in the last two friendlies suddenly finds himself out of the squad.

LOL

Miss-quoting me Muddy! How very dare you! LOL

Muddytalker said:
Billy Davies' red & white army*! :cheer:

* For those that have forgotten about us, that's twice European Cup Winners but we don't cling to past glories anymore, no siree Bob! Nottingham Forest

"You're Not Famous Any More!" :whistle:

So, who does everyone think is going to win? We could have a silly sweepstake! Who will finish 1st, runners up, Third and Fourth?
(Do they still have a losing semi finalists' play-off?)

Probably Brazil, France or Germany, isn't that who it is usually?

Don't hold me to that though, I may be wrong :D

Back
Top Bottom