Team Radio & Bringing the sport in disrepute

If Smedley is using the incident in quali between Massa and Lewis to motivate Massa to get vengeance by destroying his race then that's seriously warped

Massa did not have a chance in heaven of matching Lewis in that race as was proven

It's funny that people equate 'destroy his race' with 'compete with him, race him' etc

This might be believable if it wasn't for the context, the next clue is Massas behaviour after the race and since

For me this looks unsporting

A bit like if Maldanado had been told on the radio, 'lewis is about to lap you, get him back, go on my son'

All those falling over themselves to defend Smedley/Massa are silent on Massas subsequent behaviour

How do you explain that and not deem the whole issue unsporting behaviour and that likely to bring the sport into disrepute

If just one of you could answer this then it would look help

Personally, I'd like to see all radio transmissions between car and pit (and vice versa) banned!

That's like throwing the baby out with the bath water, though.

What if there were marshals trying to extricate a driver out of a bad shunt round a blind, fast corner and only one of the marshals was available to wave yellows (because the others were out there trying to save a driver)?

I think radio has a lot of safety aspects associalted with it. Like a sudden rain shower at the far end of a long circuit, etc.

How do you explain that and not deem the whole issue unsporting behaviour and that likely to bring the sport into disrepute

If the whole thing brought the sport into disrepute, then it would not have been played on the Official race edit for the Formula One Singtel Singapore Grand Prix on the Formula One website.

That's like throwing the baby out with the bath water, though.

What if there were marshal's trying to extricate a driver out of a car round a blind, fast corner?

I think radio has a lot of safety aspects associalted with it. Like a sudden rain shower at the far end of a long circuit, etc.

Not entirely - There was talk of having compulsory lights within the cockpit - to indicate yellow and blue flags and the like....

The other thing would be to have a compulsory FIA observer per car - and any important messages like that could be passed on - that'd probably be a safer way of doing things as well!

I maybe just been blonde about the situation. But i can't help feel that the FIA need to tackle this head on and investigate what is a serious piece of team radio. I don't think it's Ferrari that need investigating though, i think Rob and Felipe if found guilty of bring the sport into disrepute both should sit out a 1 or 2 race ban.

There was talk of having compulsory lights within the cockpit - to indicate yellow and blue flags and the like....

And what about rain or oil at the far end of the circuit where a car or two had already gone off but then continued?

What about warnings of "The one move rule" (like Brawn to Schumacher at Monza)?

How many lights and buttons do you want on a steering wheel? Too many is another safety concern.

Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

How many lights and buttons do you want on a steering wheel? Too many is another safety concern.

Well, that's a whole other question!

Personally, again, I'm a bit of a luddite, and would quite like a simplification of steering wheels! - Certainly there's no reason that a steering wheel should cost more than a family car!

Manual gear boxes, no electronic gizmos on the steering wheel.....But that's a whole other discussion!

I think people are reading into this too much - I mean the Daily Fail are having a field day.

It was just a way of encouraging his driver, like the Rubens Barrichello "KILL! KILL!".
Although I have to admit the Smedley's choice of words were a bit tactless.

If the whole thing brought the sport into disrepute, then it would not have been played on the Official race edit for the Formula One Singtel Singapore Grand Prix on the Formula One website.

Hockenheim 2010 'FIFTY' was included on the race edit from FOM

IIRC the episode was deemed illegal and a punishment was handed out
FOM don't enforce the rules FIA do that

I'm not sure anyone apart Cookin believes the two (transmission and puncture) are connected? I certainly don't but others can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have not said Smedleys instructions directly caused the puncture, however, ofcourse there is an argument for Massas instructions to lead to misunderstanding with Lewis, raising the chances of contact.

Considering Lewis got a penalty and Massa called for an investigation afterwards then it would be stupid not to investigate those supposedly innocuous instructions further

Let's hope McLaren push for an inquiry, Ferrari would

:o If Michael Schumacher didn't face a ban for trying to wipe Barrichello across the wall in Hungary, how could that be even remotely worth a ban.

I true. TBH - I hate the politics side of the sport, it overshadow's the real racing sometimes. I just would like to see at least 1 season go without a hiccup.

It was included in the Live Feed. This one wasn't. It was released to the world a whole week after the event. If it was too damaging to Formula One's image, I can assure you the cat would have remained firmly in the bag.

That isn't a great example since it was live on air a fair few times, not as if it caused a "disrepute" as it was on a race edit, more so it was because it was heard during the race several times, plus the lead up to it aswell.

What, like the Germany 2010 official F1 edit, in which Ferrari sent a coded instruction to Massa to move over for Alonso?

For which they were fined.

Edit: Too late...

Back
Top Bottom