Team Radio & Bringing the sport in disrepute

I seem to recall a certain Ayrton Senna with Nigel Mansell literally dangling off his gear box for 5 or so laps at the end of the 1992 Monaco Grand Prix. I would say that Nigel Mansell had his race absolutely, deliberately ruined and was held up by Senna. Do people think that was unfair?

As far as I can tell, the timeline goes something like this.

Hamilton overtakes Massa
Massa is called in for a pitstop - Smedley tells Massa that they're going to destroy Hamilton's race Presumably the intention was to try and pass Hamilton on the undercut.
Hamilton comes in on the same lap though - but Massa manages to get ahead.
On the first full lap out of the pits, Hamilton attempts to overtake Massa, but ends up misjudging his braking and clipping the back of the Ferrari.

Now, If there's anything untoward occurring, then the only thing that it could be is that Massa caused the accident between himself and Hamilton. However, this was clearly just a mis-judgement on braking, and blame could only be placed on Massa if he'd deliberately brake-tested Hamilton. There has never been any suggestion of this.

After the race, Massa was livid that Hamilton had ruined his race - giving more evidence that Massa wasn't to blame for the accident.

As far as I can tell, the timeline goes something like this...
Thank you Artist, a good and plausible run-through of events. Obviously, the key points are still open to interpretation, but I think you probably have it as close as we're going to get. This is my opinion, and I don't mind if some of you disagree.

The collision was on the out-lap after the pits and so you say the message was on the in-lap before the pits. I don't see how this changes anything in the slightest.
I was just trying to get at the fact that in the FOM video events are compressed in such a way that (intentionally or not), the radio message and the crash are directly linked as cause and effect. Stirring up controversy is an easy way to gain attention, so if it was intentional they've done a good job. Whether they should have or not is a different question.

ExtremeNinja....

I don't think anyone (Other than a very few conspiracy theorists) would suggest that the collision was either a) Massa's fault, or b) malicious by Massa. As such, this arguement is moot!

Neither would I. I don't quite know how you deduced that from anything I have said either.

[EDIT] Assuming that you have me as one of your conspiracy theorists.

Extreme Ninja, your post here:
The collision was on the out-lap after the pits and so you say the message was on the in-lap before the pits. I don't see how this changes anything in the slightest.
certainly suggest that you relate the collision to the message from Smedley. If this is not what you mean, then I apologise!

Extreme Ninja, your post here:

certainly suggest that you relate the collision to the message from Smedley. If this is not what you mean, then I apologise!

Nope. My point is that it is irrelevant when the message was conveyed. It is the nature of the message itself which perturbs me. It would be brave speculation to suggest foul play where there is only evidence of foul sportsmanship.

It doesn't matter if VP was told to ruin Alonso's race, the fact is he did ruin Alonso's race.

What VP was doing was racing as hard as he could to earn as many points as he could because he had something to prove last year. The fact that Alonso was stuck behind him is bad luck for Alonso. VP was not trying to hold up or ruin Alonso's race, he probably couldn't care who it was behind him, as long as he was in front and earning as many points as possible.

What VP was doing was racing as hard as he could to earn as many points as he could because he had something to prove last year. The fact that Alonso was stuck behind him is bad luck for Alonso. VP was not trying to hold up or ruin Alonso's race, he probably couldn't care who it was behind him, as long as he was in front and earning as many points as possible.
VP was trying to, as that is what every driver tries to do - ruin every other driver's race in order to win or finish as high as possible.

The difference is, all other drivers try their damnedest to do their best, and if it harms the race of those around them, that's an added bonus.

Massa seems to have been demoted to race spoiler for Hamilton, to the detriment of his own race.

That was inevitable though as soon as Alonso joined Ferrari.
Are you playing Devil's Advocate? I do hope so!

Back
Top Bottom