Team Radio & Bringing the sport in disrepute

Mod comment:

Guys - if there are anymore personal comments this thread will be closed. This is NOT 606 and personal insults toward other members will not be tolerated. Please respect that other people may have a different opinion to you.

Also, the point of this thread is to discuss the sporting element of the comments Rob Smedley made to Felipe Massa. Try, just try, to imagine that it wasn't being made about Lewis Hamilton. This is not a place to discuss Lewis Hamilton and any perception some of you might have about a witch hunt toward him.

Thanks

FB

Motivation is an odd phenomenon and comes in many guises. One man needs to know that what he is doing is the best for the situation, another will be spurred by being told that he is faster on a particular set of tyres or in a particular sector, yet others need to know that they can keep the dragon behind them.

Smedley does seem to be able to 'motivate' Massa - shouldn't be necessary, but there we are - but he, Smedley, has never been renowned for his appropriate and well-chosen language, which seems extraordinary since all/any team radio is open to public/FIA consumption.

The sole aim of any driver is to 'destroy' someone else's race to the glorification of their own - that is what they are there for after all.

So I would suggest that the problem lies in Smedley's inappropriate language, not necessarily inappropriate behaviour on the driver's part.

And if driver and team bias did not exist nor would this thread.

Blocking and impeding other drivers is covered by regulations (quoted often enough on Clip and other forums). If a driver is influenced to impede another driver's race rather than to beat him in a fair duel then the spirit, if not the meaning, of the regulations is being broken. When I watch an F1 race I expect to see drivers proving themselves against their competition, not resorting to other means best left to BTCC or Nascar. I don't care who the protagonists are, this kind of thing does the sport no good at all and needs to be stamped on.

If you ask me, there's absolutely nothing wrong with blocking....

I mean, look at Monaco - Vettel won that race despite having shot tyres, but he managed to place his car in just the right places so that Button and Alonso could never get past! Similarly, think of Hungary in 1990 - Boutsen led the entire race, but held off his competition by placing his car in just the right places!

However, it's a different story if the car doing the blocking is a lapped runner!

The sole aim of any driver is to 'destroy' someone else's race to the glorification of their own - that is what they are there for after all.

:cheer::thumbsup::ok:

Indeed it is. I don't get it, I don't get why this is news.

f-one.jpg

I would say it is time to hang up the gloves if you do not want to "destroy" a competitor's race!

If in racing the aim is to beat him,
By being better in the race,
As in boxing the aim is to win,
Not just to beat in the competitors face,
There are foul means and there are fair,
Then how hollow is the victory,
With reputation beyond repair,
The taste in the mouth sour not sweet,
In the early twilight of one's career?
:thinking:

I have no problem with a car blocking Artist, it was the direct instruction to *destroy Hamilton's race" which I have a problem with.

I'm really hoping this is just one big misunderstanding and Rob Smedleys comment was just a bit of tough and cheek. Or else this is just another low point in the Ferrari saga.

I personally myself hate team radio, i can't see any harm in the old-fashioned pit boards TBH.

I'm really hoping this is just one big misunderstanding and Rob Smedleys comment was just a bit of tough and cheek. Or else this is just another low point in the Ferrari saga.

I personally myself hate team radio, i can't see any harm in the old-fashioned pit boards TBH.

I'd agree with that!

Personally, I'd like to see all radio transmissions between car and pit (and vice versa) banned!

But then how is Rob Smedly meant to tell Felipe baby to stay cool?

LOL well that one was good, but i don't see the point in it. Surley a driver gets enough information from a pit board. Personally i'd be happy to see team radio gone it's caused nothing but controversy plus it spoils the coverage on the tele as we know whats gonna happen.

LOL well that one was good, but i don't see the point in it. Surley a driver gets enough information from a pit board. Personally i'd be happy to see team radio gone it's caused nothing but controversy plus it spoils the coverage on the tele as we know whats gonna happen.

Simple enough solution for that: don't broadcast them anymore.

But it can also be for safety reasons telling drivers when there's yellow flags or when a safety car is out when they are just approaching an incident.

I agree that team tactics shouldn't be played over the radio, as certain teams benefit from it in different races, which I find a farce.

I would love it if Montoya was still in the sport, the best team radio snippets have came from him!

Back
Top Bottom