Sprint Racing

F1Brits_90

World Champion
i was surprised we didnt have a specific thread for what is arguably the biggest topic in F1 right now so here we are

Surely that's a false equivalence though? Of course drivers often took more satisfaction in winning races they deemed a greater challenge and fans appreciated certain tracks more than others but at no stage were extra points awarded for winning races there.

Imagine if certain football matches were granted an additional point for a win as they're more important than other games. The winner of a derby match gets an extra point because it means more to the fans.

The changes made to F1 over the last 25 years have not improved the sport even of some can claim it's improved the show. It has however generated a lot of revenue for some groups within the sport.

My race day general admission ticket for the 1992 British GP was £45. In today's prices that would be approximately £96 pounds. I checked on Friday general admission prices for the 2023 British GP and they are now £169. As I predicted up thread, free grandstand roaming has gone so if you want that privilege you now have to pay £189 for Friday.

In 2018 a general admission Friday Silverstone ticket with free grandstand roaming cost £50.
i can't defend that some races are worth more & if a drivers worst circuit is baku then you at bigger disadvantage than if it is Albert Park or Miami & its wrong some races will offer more. but the problem i feel we have is with it heading to 25 races we cant have 25 sprints otherwise or more drivers like vettel & Riccardo will be leaving far too early due to burnout & it will be too much of a good thing. its a nice novelty. on the chequered flag they were talking about how they had chats with 3 unnamed drivers who were really struggling with the season with 4 races to go

my feeling is that genie is out of the bottle now so to speak. sprint races are here to stay & the problem is we arent the target audience for this because as i heard Richard Osman once say about T20 cricket they are treating it as a gateway oh i like the T20 blast / IPL. ill check out what the ashes are like. its not perfect yet it needs tweaking. but i feel we are better than last year was & the more i think about it the more im going to towards The Artist..... idea. if sprint races are all about the show. reverse grids make sense but red bull & Mercedes dislike that idea as they say it goes against competition. but Sprint is F1s T20 cricket. it brought in as a gimmick so why be afraid of gimmicks. going halfway house is ridiclous. go the whole hog. Lets reverse the top 10. lets have overtaking & new winners. races that go down to the wire because Tsunoda/Norris are holding off Verstappen through the field

dont know about your opinion but my schedule would be
Friday morning - FP1
Friday Afternoon - Qualifying Set the grid for both races
Saturday Morning - FP2
Saturday Afternoon - Sprint, with Q3 order Reversed
Sunday - Race

but i will say about Sprint races that as much as change the stay the same this is all about papering over the cracks. what was good about the 2022 cars has gone backwards in 2023, because that was like watching a race from 2018. with too many drivers struggling to follow. it feels like we are back to square 1. with the dirty air problem. for me pirelli have to take large part of that blame but thats for the pirelli thread

just listening to the bbc f1 preview & will Buxton mentioned that sainz said that he'd keep the sprint race take it out of F1 championship or as a different championship. he would reverse the championship order & " go out & have some fun" he says its been discussed alot between the drivers. he has the support of all bar a few of them

which hopefully is listened to. because they have come at sprint all wrong. as the sprint was never entended for me to be serious its supposed to be a bit of fun. like austria

Last edited:
The original idea was a sprint with reverse order grid to decide qualifying. Then it was a qualifying session for the sprint which would result in qualifying for the race. Then it was just a sprint and nothing to do with qualifying.

The original intent was to mix the grid up and once again, thanks to the power of the teams, its just another pointless distraction to the weekend. Except it makes some races worth more than others because it's not "pointless"

The original idea was a sprint with reverse order grid to decide qualifying. Then it was a qualifying session for the sprint which would result in qualifying for the race. Then it was just a sprint and nothing to do with qualifying.

The original intent was to mix the grid up and once again, thanks to the power of the teams, its just another pointless distraction to the weekend. Except it makes some races worth more than others because it's not "pointless"
I bet you that Red Bull would be asking for reverse grids if they were not miles in front

as getting rid of sprint races isnt going to happen, Liberty media have made it clear sprint races are going any more than qualifying is, so we have top make the best of it. for me i think sprint was a potentially decent idea, but as with alot of F1 it got lost in the compromising when it got into the rules stage. when they had the discussion between everyone Liberty, FIA & F1 Teams

whoever wanted the sprint to count towards the championship is to blame for issues we having, because i remember when this was brought up. it was supposed to be action, fun, it was supposed to be T20 cricket to get people into test cricket. for me the best sprint races brazil 2021 & austria 2023, which happened to be when hamilton came from 20th to 5th & austria when the grid order was jumbled up because it was wet

Following feedback from fans and teams, talks have started between F1 and its teams to come up with a format overhaul for 2024 that will bring the 6 sprint weekends more in line with a traditional GP schedule.

1 proposal is for qualifying for Sunday's GP to return to its typical Saturday afternoon slot, with the sprint race held on Saturday morning.

The sprint shootout that sets the grid for the sprint race would then be moved to Friday afternoon following a single free practice session.That could open the opportunity for parc ferme to be reopened after the Saturday morning sprint to allow teams to make set-up changes ahead of grand prix qualifying.

It doesn't deal with the main issue the races are 💩
1 think i cant understand is weird things with F1 currently, mainly joylen palmer but only because i listened to the BBC f1 preview. in that everyone loves a mixed up grid but then is hugely against trying a reverse grid for the sprint. very odd behaviour

1 think i cant understand is weird things with F1 currently, mainly joylen palmer but only because i listened to the BBC f1 preview. in that everyone loves a mixed up grid but then is hugely against trying a reverse grid for the sprint. very odd behaviour
It's obvious the teams that dominate know its a means to stay further ahead..incidentally Verstappen wouldn't be 2021 champion without sprint races

They gong to abandon the idea of using cars and qualification will be decided by an actual sprint race between drivers?

I'd pay to see that.

Back
Top Bottom