Single question quiz - winner poses the next question

Sorry, peep's, I don't know why I thought this one was easy. Maybe it's because I thought that with my dodgy memory, if I remembered this factoid, then someone else would!

With regard to clues, it's difficult to come up with any that don't give the game away stupidly easy. I'll have to think about this some more:thinking:

It wasn't a race. You can't have a race with only one starter (there was only one entry - a Belgian I think).
I think the bike race is a red herring, but I don't know what went on instead.
Many years ago I saw a documentary on Spa, I think it was narrated by Alain de Cadanet but maybe not, in which this was explained.

Hi, Geth'

Can't remember the name of the documentary, but I'm fairly sure that's where I remember getting the little bit of history. Incidentally, I did check my facts before setting the question.

I'll give one clue, the bike race isn't a red herring so, like Jos but differently, your reply "suffice it to say, has one part that is wholly right, another part is nearly right but another part is wrong!" (not necessarily in that sequence!).;)

You guys are so close! (I'd insert an itchy, fidgety smiley here, if I could find one!).

Between you (Geth' and Jos) you have all three parts of the answer. It just needs that wee bit of stitching together into one coherent sentence ...

The guy that turned up for the race, thought that, he was the only one there so there was no point in racing so he "went on his bike" and left?

The guy that turned up for the race, thought that, he was the only one there so there was no point in racing so he "went on his bike" and left?
Beautifully coherent and has three (significant) parts but, unfortunately .... wrong ... but somehow I think you knew that anyhowsy! Good one, Sly.LOL

Since this quiz is in danger of dying an ignominious death I have decided to call it a day and award all those who got really close .... :cheers:and a pat on the back.

The answer was thus (the three key factoids I was looking for are underlined): It was planned to inaugurate the new circuit that we today call Spa-Francorchamps in 1921 with a motor race. There was only one entrant for the race. It was duly cancelled. The honour of christening the new circuit went to a motorcycle race. The race was won by an obscure Belgian rider by the name of Keken* riding a Gillet. Cars weren't raced at Spa until 1922.

See how close you guys were!LOL

*Keken may be a mis-spelling of his name since it has so far been almost impossible to find any reference to him using Google). René Gillet produced motorcycles between 1898 and 1957. Again, finding any racing history for Gillet is difficult but really interesting!

I do have to say Martin Brundle told be about the single entrant! i guessed the bike race and i presumed you would of let me off with its cancelled!
and to complete the question
Who was the first driver to complete a lap....
yours to finish slyLOL

Back
Top Bottom