Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Nah. When Kimi joing Ferrari he was an exciting driver that everyone thought was a top talent. By the time he left he was a number 2 driver who people had been complaining wasn't good enough for the drive for about 5 years.

Officially broken

It took you until June? Thought writing was on the wall when dropped Kimi and signed LeClerc

LOL LOL

thinking about it in hindsight that vettel ferrari career was over wasnt it. because that overtake was the literal changing of the guard

when was Vettel broken italian gp 2018 i still cant believe how quickly ferrari capitulated leading the world championship, 1-2, home advantage & kimi got "revenge for dropping the bombshell" drove for himself. vettel sent that stupid move up in the inside & Mercedes got a 1-2 Ferrari capitulated. losing the title with 3 races to go
----------------------------------------------------------
for me & the replacement i have 3 combining issues because:
heart - would love to see hulkenberg finally get his chance in a big 3 team but i also worry that his time has past & wouldnt be at the level i wish he could be if he had been in 2014

Head - says Sainz is the logical choice. fantastic driver

Gut - keeps reminding me of this as it just wont go away. would open a seat at Mercedes for a return at german driver at the German team again (Hamilton & Bottas is only non german partnership in Mercedes history) & 15 (technically 17) world champions have driven for Ferrari at some time. every driver thats won 4+ (bar lewis) has driven for them. Lauda Alonso Mansell Ascari Hawthorn
Senna (rumoured to signing 1996 contract before his tragic death)
Jones (did sign a contract only them to ignore it & take Mario Andretti)
20200512_095953.jpg

Last edited:
Of all the drivers on the grid, my head can't make Hamilton in a Ferrari work. They seem like oil and water to me. Hamiltons mentality and image is not one you would associate with the prancing horse.

i agree in a way because as i say the head says Carlos Sainz. it would be a cracking young partnership with great potential. maybe the best partnership in F1

would Hamilton not feel it might just be the missing page. i said in italian gp how can you not be on podium not want a piece of that. Ferrari winning the Italian GP is for me the greatest sight in F1. & Ferrari like historically having the best driver on the grid. 2020 would be 1st year without "best" since alesi/berger in 1994 (signed Schumacher on precontract in 1995)

You'd say Massa and Kimi were both better than Alonso and Hamilton then?

true Alonso as 2 time world champion was the best driver that preseason, & like leclerc very few couldve predicted hamilton would've been that good. but i guess it more who they ferrari felt was the best driver. in hindsight Ferrari were maybe right (or lucky) as kimi wins the world title, Alonso career was never the same

Last edited:
Bottas out, Vettel to Merc. We find out how good Hammy and Seb really are in the same car.

Not going to happen but we can dream.

Bottas out, Vettel to Merc. We find out how good Hammy and Seb really are in the same car.

Not going to happen but we can dream.
its possible as i put above until bottas joined. it was only time mercedes had an all foreign lineup even in the 50s they had always had a german driver

Back
Top Bottom