Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: fuck it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

That would wash in any other team ... Horner's job is to manage the team in a way that is both successful and promotes the Red Bull brand...

Are Newey, Vettel and Co. there to compete for the Formula One World Championship...Yes or No?

I'm pretty sure Newey and Vettel and Webber and the others in that team on the pit wall and in the garage are there to dismantle the opposition.

They're not the Marketing Department of 'the fizzy drinks' side of things and it's not their job to worry about anything other than getting to the chequered as fast and as safely as possible.

Are Newey, Vettel and Co. there to compete for the Formula One World Championship...Yes or No?

I'm pretty sure Newey and Vettel and Webber and the others in that team on the pit wall and in the garage are there to dismantle the opposition.

They're not the Marketing Department of 'the fizzy drinks' side of things and it's not their job to worry about anything other than getting to the chequered as fast and as safely as possible.

Let's agree to disagree on this one. It is entirely up to any company how they run their team. Many of the teams are run in different ways, depending on their goals and their company ethos. I have Brundle on side and am happy in my opinion so I'll settle for that. You've heard my opinion and I've heard yours. It's stalemate and end of debate.

It would appear as though Red Bull, having hit the mother-lode with Vettel and F1, are now scaling back on their marketing and sponsorship of other sports. In America they left Nascar and are now selling Torro Rosso, It might be that they have got to the stage where they feel that the F1 division budget has started to fulfil the marketing teams goals

If Vettel and the car remain dominant for a while

In that case even though they are a drinks company, they might look to reap the benefits like Ferrari of placing their advertising and marketing budget with the F1 division. That worked for Ferrari even when the team were not winning, not sure Red Bull can pull the same thing off.

Torro Rosso has been up for sale since March 2008. They have just been keeping it alive since then whilst priming the company for a decent offer. Nothing new there.

Red Bull's investment in all extreme sports, not just motorsports, will remain enormous with no signs of pulling back. They are a title sponsor of BMX at the 2012 Olympics and still do things like Empire of Dirt, FMX, Flugtank, X-fighters, DTM...

... in fact, just take a look at this: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Sports/001242746208569

I am sure that we can assume that the size of investment in motorsports like Nascar and Torro Rosso wil dwarf all the rest, but then the coverage and exposure with F1 will dwarf the rest by the same token

Red Bull seem to have spent almost all net revenues on marketing for ages, I could never understand how a drinks company can be that rich

but this is probably straying into a Red Bull thread

That was an amazing weekend for Vettel.

He extracted the absolute maximum from the car and from himself in Q3 and the over-take of a driver the calibre of Alonso on the outside of the tremendously fast Curva Grande - with two wheels on the grass - for P1 was exceptional.

Alonso admitted he was hard with Vettel:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94482

I think Vettel's completely broken the back of the title pursuit. They're all throwing in the towel now. Webber, Alonso, Hamilton. All of them.

Whitmarsh thinks the McLarens were the fastest cars in the race at Monza today but both drivers didn't have good starts and that's what cost them victory.

At least that's what Whitmarsh is saying on the official site.

The Double World Title beckons for young Sebastian. It's a fine achievement in the making given the extreme depth and quality of this driver era.

I have to say that Vettel has the ability to judge and pace another driver like no one I've ever seen. Time and time again he'll find out what lap times the guy chasing him is doing and just match them. He did it again in Italy. He was matching Alonso's times and keeping the gap and then when Button got past and upped the pace a little he was suddenly matching Jenson's pace.

He's very impressive at that

I'm hoping the Mods and others on here who are important, like Keke, will allow me this post:

In my opinion Vettel was vulnerable to a slipstream attack on the main straight at Monza. [It was written on Saturday that he had to give himself at least one second to the guy behind in order to prevent a successful DRS attack from compormising his race.]

Everyone knows that Vettel was geared shorter than any of the main runners - including, according to all reports, even Webber's RBR - and his car was the slowest of any at the speed trap.

It was therefore vulnerable to a McLaren or a Ferrari - and perhaps even Webber - in a straightline...especially at Monza where slipstreaming has been going on for decades and decades.

Vettel's configuration - especially it's shorter top gear ratios - made him particularly ripe for the picking...and, in my opinion, he could have been picked off by the guy right behind him on the Re-Start on Sunday had that driver been paying attention to him in "Maximum Attack" mode.

But Vettel was very lucky that the guy behind him wasn't concentrating on lining him up for a slipstream down that straight.

All video footage will clearly show that Vettel was on 'Maximum Attack' mode heading down to Parabolica readying to line up Alonso for the lead...and if he didn't take the lead into the first chicane, then he would at least be in line to catch the Ferrari's tow and be with the Ferrari - or close to the Ferrari - once they got to the higher downforce areas of the circuit.

But what was just as crucial for Vettel was that he himself not get slipstreamed from behind on the re-start.

And here is where he got lucky.

The driver in 3rd place failed to line him up heading into the Parabolica for a slipstream attack down the Monza straight.

Vettel was completely let off the hook because the driver in 3rd place wasn't paying attention to him the way he was paying attention to the driver in front (Alonso)...and the race was, in my opinion, decided right there.

There is no question in my mind that Vettel lucked out on the re-start and would have been relieved that Hamilton wasn't anywhere close to him heading to Parabolica.

Without Hamilton in front of him, it was clear sailing once he'd dispatched Alonso.

How about this one?
Progress At India GP Venue 'Alarming' - Report: New photos reportedly depict an "alarming situation" at India's Buddh circuit just over a month before the inaugural Indian GP is scheduled to be held. Spain's Marca sports newspaper published the photos that were reportedly taken days ago by a fan by the name of Parth Doshi. The report said "the circuit is not only not complete but very far from it,"

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs110/P1

So, if there's only 5 races left then Vettel can indeed clinch his 2nd WDC without the Stars, the Moon and the Sun lining up at Singapore? ;)

RBR will be ready.

Red Bull Secretly Planning Singapore Celebration?: A German newspaper has contradicted Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel's claims that they are not planning to celebrate the World Championship this weekend. Most of the 24-year-old's rivals think Vettel is heading to a certain title victory, and it could theoretically happen as soon as the checkered flag in Singapore.... the Sunday newspaper Bild am Sonntag said Red Bull has arranged for 80 special '2011 World Champion' caps — one for every member of the traveling team — to be shipped to the Asian city-state in case Vettel wraps up the title. And the team's marketing department is reportedly ready to unleash a spontaneous championship-winning party at the Swisshotel Stamford late on Sunday night.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs110/P2

Back
Top Bottom