Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: fuck it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

The cynic in me says well he would say that now

Not to mention the fact that there isn't a quote regarding the incident. I tend to believe the multiple sources reporting about it directly after the event.

The article does clear one thing up though. Seb's quotes about the conversation he and Alonso had before the podium seem to imply that Fernando actually did say "I fucked you before".

Not to mention the fact that there isn't a quote regarding the incident. I tend to believe the multiple sources reporting about it directly after the event.

Do these sources give quotes by Vettel?

The article does clear one thing up though. Seb's quotes about the conversation he and Alonso had before the podium seem to imply that Fernando actually did say "I f'd you before".

Where on earth is that implied?

Where on earth is that implied?

I should have made it clear that this goes back to a discussion several people were having on another thread after Italy.

Here's the footage in question.

This is the quote that I believe refers to this exchange.

"Actually, it was more critical the lap before when I was on the right on the outside at the second chicane and he moved a little bit under braking to the right and there wasn't much room for me, we talked about it after the race"

Alonso has since denied that he said "fuck you, my boy", which is what the Bild claims he said.

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/392455/Alonso_denies_swearing_at_Vettel_at_Monza/

I have found Vette's persona as seen on tv, etc to not only be friendlier than most...but he seems a pretty straight shooter. I can't see him lying. But I can see 'sources' and the BBC making stuff up both ways. If there's no direct quote, as Bill Boddy's asking, then what are we to go by?

Sources immediately said he did and BBC are now saying he didn't.

:dunno:

I just think that a story about his "denial" would have a direct quote in it. It really doesn't matter though. We all know Seb's a straight shooter, or at least looks like one through the TV. :heart:

I see that Love Is In The Air...:snigger:

Should Lewis be worried? ;)

Hey Keke, i'm not naive. We've seen all kinds of drivers lying. Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, PK jr, PK snr. It's hardly anything new.

Who knows?

Vettel could be lying too.

But isn't there some chance - even a tiny one - that, perhaps, the media made stuff up 11 or 12 days ago and the BBC is making stuff up now.

It's not like the media hasn't been known to fabricate stuff up to fill space.

But, again, perhaps Vettel is learning to talk both ways as he exits his early 20s.

Speaking of...

7 Eleven is on the RBRs.

Isn't 7 Eleven out of Texas?

Perhaps they're gearing up for the GP down in Austin and having promo tie-ins with cans of Red Bull and Red Bull Lite in their stores?

Well titles just about won, so congratulations to Seb on winning the 2011 drivers championship. Very constant throughout the year and only off the podium a couple of times. This kid deserves the right to become the youngest ever double world champion with his domination in this sport. I am in no doubt that this won't be his last championship, i can see him winning at least another 1 or 2 in the next 4 years. Well done Seb throughly deserved this championship.

As much as I hate to admit it Vettel has improved this year since his title

Last year he went through a serious of races making some really amateurish mistakes and accidents but neither Webber, Hamilton or Alonso capitalised enough and allowed him to sneak the title at the last race

This year he is not making those same mistakes..although when he does he seems to have Schumacher's luck going for him and manage to finish 2nd. He's also capitalising most from other drivers and team's mistakes mainly Mclaren

Last year he went through a serious of races making some really amateurish mistakes and accidents but neither Webber, Hamilton or Alonso capitalised enough and allowed him to sneak the title at the last race

My take on it is a bit different...

Last year he put a lot of pressure on himself to "make up" for all of the RB6-Renault's reliability difficulties hitting him mainly. [Webber's RB6 was bullet-proof in comparison.]

He lost 2 victories very early (Bahrain, Australia) to mechanical issues and then a 2nd (Spain) due to break problems. And, contrary to your post, Alonso actually benifited most - including Korea where Vettel's engine blew while he was leading.

All those early lost points put more pressure on Vettel because the expectation, after finishing 2nd in the '09 WDC, was for him to win the title.

Turkey didn't help. The pressure only increased.

I do agree that he's really upped his game after the horrible summer he had in 2010 (specifically Silvestone start, Hungary SC penalty, Belgium shunt).

His saftey car short-coming in Hungary 2010 hasn't been repeated. You saw how he lined Alonso up at Monza while, simultaneously, Hamilton was having brain fade...and how he just blasted away in Singapore after backing the lapped guys into Button who was left helpless into the SC line. He played the Singapore SC restart like a virtuoso!

The fans who were counting on Hamilton V Alonso may not like it, but I think we're in The Era Of Vettel. It began with his win in a Toro Rosso in Italy three years ago and it's been building ever since.

He's knocking on being in my Top 12 All Time.

What the icing on the cake for me is he is such a likeable young man (save the finger) and seems to have a happy-go-lucky and easy and funny personality in public. He was this way in 2007 and 2008 and hasn't changed since.

Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom