Robert Kubica's Seat?

Who would you like to see get the Lotus Renault drive for 2011?

• Bruno Senna

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Romain Grosjean

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nick Heidfeld

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Someone else (not Luca Badoer)

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Didn't they talk last season about giving an extra test in case of driver replacement from a safety perspective? Or did that not pan out?

Either way, I guess they are telling it like it is - Senna gets some miles in case Heidfeld doesn't work out or is also injured, and Heidfeld gets some seat time to learn the car. If these are the only two drivers they are trying out, I would say it is certain that Nick get's the drive.

Well it makes sense not to be hasty, and pick the fastest. It'll probably be Heidfeld.

Didn't they talk last season about giving an extra test in case of driver replacement from a safety perspective? Or did that not pan out?
Good point, I seem to recall something about that.

I suspect however that probably only applies during the season and they probably didn't account for anything like this during testing or before the season starts.

Oh, and welcome to the site Monzaman. :moustache:
Good name by the way, I like the idea of putting two words together but you seem to have pulled it off better than me...
Where did teabagyokel even come from
dunno.gif
?

I'm not sure at all that Senna could provide the leadership the team needs. Being fast over a few laps is one thing, being the figurehead of a 400 person workforce is quite another. Bruno just comes across as a bit too... wet. I'm pretty sure that if he didn't have the name and yellow helmet he wouldn't be anywhere near an F1 car. He might be fast enough, but things have come too easily for him to have the sort of ambition that a top performer needs.

Unfortunately, I never got that sense from Nick H. either. Back in the BMW days it was always Kubica that was keeping the team on its toes and questioning daft decisions, while Nick always seemed to meekly accept the status quo. It says something about the other "top" racing series around the world that nobody has seriously spoken of anyone other than the usual suspects. Whither Dario? I know that he's knocking on a little, but to have a twice Indy 500 winner and three-times series champion with a strong road racing background not even be mentioned... And as for the ALMS, DTM and WTCC, why not?

I suppose what I'm saying is that I doubt LRGP's ambition. Their car could be the class of the field this year, but if the meatsack behind the wheel isn't right then they will have wasted their chance. They have a potentially race-winning car as bait, so why aren't they fishing?

Back in the BMW days it was always Kubica that was keeping the team on its toes and questioning daft decisions, while Nick always seemed to meekly accept the status quo.

Not always a bad trait, that. To see the figurehead of a 400 man workforce pulling in a different direction to the skipper can be a bit of a problem.

Can't it, Fernando?

meatsack behind the wheel

LOL

Unfortunately, I think it's a case of very bad timing, most of the other drivers/formulae you mentioned will probably have their contracts sewn up tight before the coming season and those that are out of contract may not have the relative car/track knowledge that someone like Nick can bring.

Senna is there and he's up to date with the circuits but do you really think he could be fast enough? Sadly enough I don't think he could.

As previously mentioned it was a very small list of those drivers that could bring all that to the party, get up to speed in the car and mesh into a new team all within 30ish days.

Well, with Quick Nick being given the Jerez test it would seem that Renault are going to go with what is, in my opinion, the most favourable option. Let's not forget he did beat Kubica in 2007 and 2009.

His experience will be invaluable to a team like Renault who are still in transition (post-Alonso/Briatore). He might also be able to grab a podium or two.

p.s loving the new layout by the way, took a bit of getting used too at first but great job!

Here is a comparison between Nick Heidfeld now, and Jenson Button in the winter 2008-9. Button's record was slightly better, but comparable!

Grand Prix172153
Wins01
Poles13
Fastest Laps20
Podiums1215
Points (2003-08)181204
[td][/td][td]Heidfeld (present)[/td][td]Button (End 2008)[/td]

Well done - but please get your finger out Nick. A very last coming (
oops.gif
) for the hairy one - he can drive and win, now he has to.

I'm really pleased for Nick - I've always rated him highly as a driver. He's fared pretty well against every team-mate he's ever had - even those considered to be 'stars' such as Kimi, Mark Webber (during his brief spell at Williams), and Kubica himself. I think he's always suffered by being pretty meek and mild-mannered. The comparison with Button is a good one I think - both smooth drivers who get the job done without creating a big fuss. I really hope he can make this work for him - if he can't get a win or at least multiple podiums then I would think this is his last chance. I could see him at least securing a seat with the likes of Williams (if Ruby retires), Team Lotus (if Jarno retires), or maybe Force India (if Sutil moves on) next year if he can shine at Renault this year.

....I think he's always suffered by being pretty meek and mild-mannered.

Meek and mild doesn't really cut it as an F1 driver - he is undoubtedly very sound in set up, but needs to push himself and take a few risks - he's coming to the end of his sell-buy date and needs to prove a point.

Meek and mild doesn't really cut it as an F1 driver - he is undoubtedly very sound in set up, but needs to push himself and take a few risks - he's coming to the end of his sell-buy date and needs to prove a point.

I don't disagree, jenov - I think he's totally aware that he needs to nail this opportunity as it'll very likely be the last he'll get in F1. I still think he can do it without resorting to being a total 'Schulonso'
biggrin.gif

Just noticed the wording of the article: "The Renault team has confirmed that Nick Heidfeld will be Robert Kubica's replacement this season"

So as suspected, Robert won't be back at all this season, despite initial optimism that he might be.

As has already been said, this is his last chance to impress really and it will be interesting to see how he fares against Vitaly, who was comprehensively beaten by his team-mate last year.

Back
Top Bottom