Robert Kubica's Seat?

Who would you like to see get the Lotus Renault drive for 2011?

• Bruno Senna

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Romain Grosjean

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nick Heidfeld

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Someone else (not Luca Badoer)

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Speshal

World Champion
Valued Member
With the news emerging that Robert has had 7 hours of surgery on his hand and the doctors saying it could well be a year before it is back to normal (if ever) it looks like someone else will be partnering Vitaly Petrov this season but who would you like to see in his seat?

Heidfield.
Lotus Renault GP have what looks like a competitive car.A Kubica/Petrov pairing was borderline acceptable.
A Petrov/Senna/ or Petrov/Grosjean line up has no chance of developing the car further.
Quite frankly IMHO they would be throwing away any chance of success in 2011 unless they get an experienced driver with recent F1 experience.

I haven't got round to the predictions for 2011 season, but one of the things i was going to predict is that the Hulk would race this season. He seems more of a sure bet to get results then everyone else touted maybe apart from hiedfeld. Everyone else either has no little f1 experience or have only driven for the backenders, so perhaps a little hard to jugde.

But i think Senna will, he's got recent F1 expereince, young-ish, think Renault would look in-team for a replcement and in amongst the collection of Test Drivers they seem to have collected, Grojeasean reputation has been tarnished in F1, and the others have very little F1 experience.

Oh btw loving the avatar JamesHunt :)

Andrea, It seems we both have named ourselves after bad boys of the sport
lol.gif

On a pedantic note, the poll headline asks who will replace Kubica, while the question in the article asks who we would like to replace him. So my poll vote is in answer to the latter; I would like Heidfeld to get the chance.

However, I expect Senna to get the drive, as I believe the main reason he was taken on as a test / reserve driver in the first place was as part of the ongoing campaign by Group Lotus to pass off the Renault team as the 'real' Lotus. The Senna name and that iconic helmet in an equally iconic black and gold liveried 'Lotus' would have been too much for Bahar to resist. I suspect that they only ever thought that they would be giving Bruno a few outings on test days and friday practice, for the publicity. Kubica's accident may just have given Bahar and Senna a bigger opportunity than either ever expected.

On a pedantic note, the poll headline asks who will replace Kubica, while the question in the article asks who we would like to replace him. So my poll vote is in answer to the latter; I would like Heidfeld to get the chance.

Point taken LOL

I did mean the latter "who would you like to see in the seat"

The Senna name and that iconic helmet in an equally iconic black and gold liveried 'Lotus' would have been too much for Bahar to resist. I suspect that they only ever thought that they would be giving Bruno a few outings on test days and friday practice, for the publicity. Kubica's accident may just have given Bahar and Senna a bigger opportunity than either ever expected.

I think you could be right there but I also think that in their 1st season as "Lotus-Renault" they will want a driver with a proven track record to get some potentially valuable points/publicity and a Senna/Petrov combination probably wouldn't be as attractive to the management as a Hiedfeld/Petrov combo (shame Vitaly brings the $$$ and sponsors)

I think you could be right there but I also think that in their 1st season as "Lotus-Renault" they will want a driver with a proven track record to get some potentially valuable points/publicity and a Senna/Petrov combination probably wouldn't be as attractive to the management as a Hiedfeld/Petrov combo (shame Vitaly brings the $$$ and sponsors)

I'm certain that if Bahar has his way then Senna will get the seat but it depends how much pressure/influence Group Lotus has on any decision made. They are, as we keep being told by all concerned, just the title sponsor of the team at the moment.

As for who should drive, the thing with Renault is that they've had two drivers in the last few years who were capable of driving the car above and beyond it's level on the track. Without Kubica who is perhaps among the top 6 drivers on the grid today, is there anyone currently on the "available" list who can bring home the same level of results. With the new car barely developed, Renault need both a quick driver and a good development driver which means not only speed but experience so the "available" list gets even shorter.

For me, the most obvious choice would be Nick Heidfeld. While he isn't as quick as Kubica I think he'd be more than capable of providing stablity to the team and bring a wealth of development experience.

Renault need both a quick driver and a good development driver which means not only speed but experience so the "available" list gets even shorter.

For me, the most obvious choice would be Nick Heidfeld. While he isn't as quick as Kubica I think he'd be more than capable of providing stablity to the team and bring a wealth of development experience.

This was my thinking, looking at who is available and fills those criteria it is a very short list indeed, I could only think of Nick, PdlaR (too slow?) and at a push Gary Paffett (he's under contract at McLaren - although that didn't stop him doing DTM last season)

It's a really difficult decision for Renault. It seems to me that justice would be served by having Senna, since he is the designated reserve, but a Senna/Petrov combination hardly sets my pulse racing, nor, I suspect, that of Renault management.

Heidfeld looks like, probably, the best option, though if it were down to me I would certainly give Kimi a ring first, just to check...

I would certainly give Kimi a ring first, just to check...

Intriguing, I hadn't really thought about that option, but a valid point all the same, I guess he'd fall under "someone else" - Would he really want to do it though, he seems quite happy out of the circus at the moment.

I was just thinking, the team will have to make a decision fairly bloody sharpish to get whoever they choose to drive up to speed (scuse the pun) with the car as, if memory serves, Bruno hasn't turned a wheel in the new car yet (I could be wrong) neither has Grosjean.

I suppose Petrov could do all four days at Jerez this week, but my guess is that they would want any replacement ready to take part at Catalunya from next Friday 18th.

Who ever they choose needs as much seat time as possible.Whilst I agree that Heidfield is the obvious choice that could be problematic for Lotus Renualt as Senna is the contracted reserve driver.
Lotus Renault have to take the view that whoever they appoint will be season long drive.I don't think that Kimi would be interested following his comments earlier in the season when he accused Renault of using his name for publicity when all his manager did was give Renault a phone call just to sound them out.

Renault team boss Eric Boullier tells BBC Sport they may need to find a new driver, not reserve, if Kubica out for most of season. More soon
- Andrew Benson tweet.

Suggests they will look elsewhere, I still favour either Hulk or Heidfeld as the driver to get the nod. I would have thought Heidfeld would give them better development but Hulk raced more last season (and has knowledge of another teams car!) Either way with the Renault innovation and benchmark set by Kubica last test, it could be a great opportunity.

I should think quite a few drivers - Sutil and Glock spring to mind instantly - will have asked their managers to see what options they might have in their existing contracts. It was thought that Renault were talking to Adrian about their second seat last year, though I don't know if that was genuine or just paddock talk.

Would a driver with a seat want to trade it for a temporary one (at least currently)? Seems harsh to say but it is almost gambling on Kubica not returning, otherwise they must look for a new drive - It seems that breaking into a team from outside is hard at the moment - there tends to be an established driver + a pay driver at the teams these guys would be aiming for and so it would be a high risk.

Back
Top Bottom